Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the minimum age in which you don't have to move with your parents?

What is the minimum age in which you don't have to move with your parents?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:04 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Default What is the minimum age in which you don't have to move with your parents?

Hi, my parents want to move to Aus, but I don't. I am 16 right now and I was wondering what the age is for you not to move.

If you could tell me anything else about parents moving and children staying behind, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:32 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the minimum age in which you don't have to move with your parents?

I don't suppose there is a minimum age, but you need to think carefully about this.
Who will you stay with if your family do emigrate? If you plan on staying with relatives or friends how do you know you're going to get along with them and their house rules?
How much are you going to miss your parents and any brothers/sisters? You may not realise it now as a teenager but believe me, when they are not around you will feel incredibly "cut off" from them.
How will you manage financially? My guess is, is that your parents haven't got a bottonless pit of money stashed away for you to dip into whenever you need cash. I may be wrong, but it's just a guess.
What is the reason for you wanting to stay here in the UK?
If you want to stay 'cos you'll miss your mates, it won't be long before you're all off to different colleges/uni's and chances are you'll lose contact with them and will have to make new mates anyway.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm a mum to 3 teenagers who were 14, 16 and 17 when we emigrated. All the kids were very keen to go to Oz and enjoyed it over there, but for various reasons we all came home. Now my 2 eldest, who are now 19 and nearly 20 are desperate to move back over. (My youngest who is 17 wants to finish her education here but hasn't ruled out going back before our visa runs out). They realise that they really did enjoy the lifestyle over there and the friends they thought they missed here have moved on in their own lives either through work or further education and so they don't see them anymore. They have both finished their education and now they want to see more of the world and at their ages they have all the time in the world to do it. I'm going to miss them immensely but they have to do what it right for them.

So I guess what I'm saying to you is, think carefully before ruling the move out altogether. I would suggest that you get your visa along with your parents and go and see what it's like over there. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you find it's not for you then you can always move back here when you are able to stand on your own two feet.
Also, have a look in the Teenagers section on this forum. You'll get loads of feedback from other teens.
Good luck I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Julie. x
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:44 pm
=]

Robw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really niceRobw4 is just really nice
Default Re: What is the minimum age in which you don't have to move with your parents?

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
I don't suppose there is a minimum age, but you need to think carefully about this.
Who will you stay with if your family do emigrate? If you plan on staying with relatives or friends how do you know you're going to get along with them and their house rules?
How much are you going to miss your parents and any brothers/sisters? You may not realise it now as a teenager but believe me, when they are not around you will feel incredibly "cut off" from them.
How will you manage financially? My guess is, is that your parents haven't got a bottonless pit of money stashed away for you to dip into whenever you need cash. I may be wrong, but it's just a guess.
What is the reason for you wanting to stay here in the UK?
If you want to stay 'cos you'll miss your mates, it won't be long before you're all off to different colleges/uni's and chances are you'll lose contact with them and will have to make new mates anyway.

I really don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm a mum to 3 teenagers who were 14, 16 and 17 when we emigrated. All the kids were very keen to go to Oz and enjoyed it over there, but for various reasons we all came home. Now my 2 eldest, who are now 19 and nearly 20 are desperate to move back over. (My youngest who is 17 wants to finish her education here but hasn't ruled out going back before our visa runs out). They realise that they really did enjoy the lifestyle over there and the friends they thought they missed here have moved on in their own lives either through work or further education and so they don't see them anymore. They have both finished their education and now they want to see more of the world and at their ages they have all the time in the world to do it. I'm going to miss them immensely but they have to do what it right for them.

So I guess what I'm saying to you is, think carefully before ruling the move out altogether. I would suggest that you get your visa along with your parents and go and see what it's like over there. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you find it's not for you then you can always move back here when you are able to stand on your own two feet.
Also, have a look in the Teenagers section on this forum. You'll get loads of feedback from other teens.
Good luck I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Julie. x
Thank you so much, lots of good info there. I don't want to move because I just like living in the UK and of course, I have seen pictures and videos/TV programmes. I haven't completely ruled out moving, but I would have to visit Australia. Anyway, I also have my eyes set on the USA, as I have been there and I loved it and at this point I would prefer to live there.

I have nothing against Australia, but I just prefer the look of the USA and if I had a choice, I would live in the US or UK. I will have to discuss this with other family members and my parents. I am also looking to go to University in the UK or US so somewhere to live won't be a problem for at least 3 years.

Once again, thanks and if anyone has anything to share/say please go ahead and reply.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:24 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robw4
Thank you so much, lots of good info there. I don't want to move because I just like living in the UK and of course, I have seen pictures and videos/TV programmes. I haven't completely ruled out moving, but I would have to visit Australia. Anyway, I also have my eyes set on the USA, as I have been there and I loved it and at this point I would prefer to live there. [I have nothing against Australia, but I just prefer the look of the USA and if I had a choice, I would live in the US or UK. I will have to discuss this with other family members and my parents. I am also looking to go to University in the UK or US so somewhere to live won't be a problem for at least 3 years. Once again, thanks and if anyone has anything to share/say please go ahead and reply.

So go on then, try Australia and you may find that you'd like living there too
As far as going to uni is concerned, living accommodation may be sorted you'd still have to finance it. My daughter wants to go to a uni in London. The halls of residence cost £125 per week That's for the first year and then she'll have to find alternative accommodation (although I'm secretly hoping she'll live at home instead We live in Surrey so it's not far to commute).
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

fripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nice

Thank you so much, lots of good info there. I don't want to move because I just like living in the UK and of course, I have seen pictures and videos/TV programmes. I haven't completely ruled out moving, but I would have to visit Australia. Anyway, I also have my eyes set on the USA, as I have been there and I loved it and at this point I would prefer to live there.

I have nothing against Australia, but I just prefer the look of the USA and if I had a choice, I would live in the US or UK. I will have to discuss this with other family members and my parents. I am also looking to go to University in the UK or US so somewhere to live won't be a problem for at least 3 years.

Once again, thanks and if anyone has anything to share/say please go ahead and reply.

Hi mate,

I'm in my second year at Uni in the UK; I'm studying down in Kent; but my Dad's from Aus so I thought that I'd offer my advice

I can see why you have doubts about moving to Aus but you really should consider how you're going to manage (financially more than anything) when the rest of your family are living on the other side of the world.

The whole financial aspect is even more important now the economy has gone down pan. Unless your parents are willing to fund a significant amount of your costs at University you're going to have to find a way to fund yourself, which is far easier said than done.

For example at the moment I'm getting around £3000per year to fund my living costs which include (accommodation, food, books, social life, travel etc) which is nowehere near enough as my rent takes up around 70-85% of my loan.

If you're planning on heading to the US then the costs will be far, far higher. My housemate at the moment is from the US and she's planning on heading back to the states to do a two year Masters, which will set her back around £50,000!! ...or thereabouts. University is heavily subsidised in the UK and Aus, which we're quite lucky about.

I'd say that culturally Aus is far closer to the UK than the US and I think you have to remember that holidaying in the US is far different from actually living there. I went to Florida and absoloutely loved it, but I think that if you haven't got masses of disposible money then chances are you could wind up in not the nicest of areas.

Plus then you have to think about getting an American visa etc. It wasn't long ago that I was 16 and I was always changing my mind about everything (not to say that you are) but I don't think you can definately say in 3 years time (unless you're ruggedly determined) that you'll want to be doing what you think now.

Why not go to Aus now you're young, then come back to the UK for Uni when you're 18/19?..at least then you'll be in more of a position to support yourself financially, and hopefully the economy should be in better shape than it is now.

But yeah, that's just my 2 pence worth, I really wish you Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!!

Alex
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:29 pm
=]

Originally Posted by fripouille
Hi mate,

I'm in my second year at Uni in the UK; I'm studying down in Kent; but my Dad's from Aus so I thought that I'd offer my advice

I can see why you have doubts about moving to Aus but you really should consider how you're going to manage (financially more than anything) when the rest of your family are living on the other side of the world.

The whole financial aspect is even more important now the economy has gone down pan. Unless your parents are willing to fund a significant amount of your costs at University you're going to have to find a way to fund yourself, which is far easier said than done.

For example at the moment I'm getting around £3000per year to fund my living costs which include (accommodation, food, books, social life, travel etc) which is nowehere near enough as my rent takes up around 70-85% of my loan.

If you're planning on heading to the US then the costs will be far, far higher. My housemate at the moment is from the US and she's planning on heading back to the states to do a two year Masters, which will set her back around £50,000!! ...or thereabouts. University is heavily subsidised in the UK and Aus, which we're quite lucky about.

I'd say that culturally Aus is far closer to the UK than the US and I think you have to remember that holidaying in the US is far different from actually living there. I went to Florida and absoloutely loved it, but I think that if you haven't got masses of disposible money then chances are you could wind up in not the nicest of areas.

Plus then you have to think about getting an American visa etc. It wasn't long ago that I was 16 and I was always changing my mind about everything (not to say that you are) but I don't think you can definately say in 3 years time (unless you're ruggedly determined) that you'll want to be doing what you think now.

Why not go to Aus now you're young, then come back to the UK for Uni when you're 18/19?..at least then you'll be in more of a position to support yourself financially, and hopefully the economy should be in better shape than it is now.

But yeah, that's just my 2 pence worth, I really wish you Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!!

Alex
Thank you so much for your story, I was thinking about staying here in the UK to go to Uni and then go to Aus to try and see what life is like.

Sometimes I wonder why it has to be me put into a difficult situation of moving countries when I am still young and not 100% on where to be. I will be perfectly happy here as this is where I have grown up and gotten used to, as you said, neither a holiday to the US or Aus will give me a proper idea, and I will need to sample each, to make my decision, even if it is to stay here in the UK.

Thanks again, more people can contribute if they like.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

fripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nicefripouille is just really nice

Thank you so much for your story, I was thinking about staying here in the UK to go to Uni and then go to Aus to try and see what life is like.

Sometimes I wonder why it has to be me put into a difficult situation of moving countries when I am still young and not 100% on where to be. I will be perfectly happy here as this is where I have grown up and gotten used to, as you said, neither a holiday to the US or Aus will give me a proper idea, and I will need to sample each, to make my decision, even if it is to stay here in the UK.

Thanks again, more people can contribute if they like.
You're more than welcome, if you've got any more questions feel free to ask.

I had the chance to move over when I was 17, but chose to stay in the good old UK. I would have missed the countryside, long bright summers, pubs and little villages far too much

But yeah, 2 years is not that long if you decide to go now with your family. At least you'll be more secure than heading off on your own, and the UK, University and the rest of your family will always be here if you decide to come back when you're 18.

Go have fun while you can!! That's my advice.

Last edited by fripouille; Apr 22nd 2009 at 5:40 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I have a different take on it. Personally I think you would be wise to finish A levels in UK and then make up your mind about where you want to go and what you want to do. If you dont get A levels then you are going to be pretty much stymied with respect to choice of university - it is unlikely that you would be able to take a UK uni course because you will have been out of the country for two of the three years before the course begins and then you will have to pay international student fees so unless your folks are well off that will put it out of reach for you. There are also potential problems with the transfer of year 12 qualifications to equivalence for university entry if all other things were equal.

I dont know if your parents have researched your educational situation but it might be worth them doing so, so they know what impact it may have for you in the longer term. Should also say that unless you are a citizen then you will have to pay upfront for your Aus uni fees although if you are on a PR visa then you will only pay domestic fees - anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000 per annum until you are a citizen at which point you can defer payment until you are earning. An honours degree takes 4 years here too in contrast to a UK degree where you can get honours in 3 years.

I think this is a difficult age for you to be moving.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:07 pm
=]

Originally Posted by quoll
Actually, I have a different take on it. Personally I think you would be wise to finish A levels in UK and then make up your mind about where you want to go and what you want to do. If you dont get A levels then you are going to be pretty much stymied with respect to choice of university - it is unlikely that you would be able to take a UK uni course because you will have been out of the country for two of the three years before the course begins and then you will have to pay international student fees so unless your folks are well off that will put it out of reach for you. There are also potential problems with the transfer of year 12 qualifications to equivalence for university entry if all other things were equal.

I dont know if your parents have researched your educational situation but it might be worth them doing so, so they know what impact it may have for you in the longer term. Should also say that unless you are a citizen then you will have to pay upfront for your Aus uni fees although if you are on a PR visa then you will only pay domestic fees - anywhere between $5,000 and $10,000 per annum until you are a citizen at which point you can defer payment until you are earning. An honours degree takes 4 years here too in contrast to a UK degree where you can get honours in 3 years.

I think this is a difficult age for you to be moving.
This is what I think, and I have stressed this to my parents.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I think, and I have stressed this to my parents.
Quoll made some excellent points, it is hard for you at that age

What do your parents want for your education are they aware of what quoll has said.

Where are your parents thinking of going, in some states you could come out and do gd 11 and 12 with little age difference or once over 17 you can do a university entrance type course.

If you dont want to come here ( have they visitied yet or is it dream stage ) what sort of support are they going to offer, I mean you are only 16.

The fact you seem concerned about your education shows maturity, sit them down and talk to them again armed with some facts on aussie education, keeping in mind its different from State to State.

As for wanting to go to USA, a visa for Australia is much easier to get, USA is not a possiblity for many people, so do be aware of that.

Good luck with it, if they are so determined to go, perhaps a research trip out here might sort out who wants to come here and who doesnt, worth doing, splitting families is a big price to pay.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The USA is not a possibility AT ALL unless you have someone absolutely desperate to get you here and the means to do it. That would be an emmployer willing to pay high fees for very specialised work. The only other way in is to marry in.

You truly are at a difficult age to relocate, but you can improve your odds of being successful at home or abroad by focussing hard on your education, and getting involved in your chosen field of study. The more people you know worldwide, the better. There are university-level exchange student programmes you could take advantage of, as well as BUNAC.

Good luck!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The USA is not a possibility AT ALL unless you have someone absolutely desperate to get you here and the means to do it. That would be an emmployer willing to pay high fees for very specialised work. The only other way in is to marry in.
Australian citizens have better access to the USA compared to British citizens, due to the E-3 visa.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:37 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australian citizens have better access to the USA compared to British citizens, due to the E-3 visa.
True - I was looking at it from a UK->US standpoint.

Are Aus citizens eligible for the DV if UK born to UK born parents?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Are Aus citizens eligible for the DV if UK born to UK born parents?
No!

Unless they are married to someone born in a DV eligible territory (you can claim chargeability to spouse's birthplace). In limited circumstances you can claim chargeability to parent's birthplace.

Or unless they were born in Northern Ireland.

The Diversity Visa lottery works on birthplace, not citizenship.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Hi, my parents want to move to Aus, but I don't. I am 16 right now and I was wondering what the age is for you not to move.

If you could tell me anything else about parents moving and children staying behind, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hey! My daughter was nearly 16 when we moved and she definately did not want to come! I felt really bad and did not want to go without her as I would have missed her too much but time was running out for us. Eventually we agreed that she would come for 2 years and then we would pay for her to go back to the UK to go to Uni.

After 12 months she had made loads of friends and was having a great time so she decided to apply to uni's in the UK and Oz by the end of the 2 years she didn't even bother replying to the UK Uni's but she did go back to the UK for a holiday for 8 weeks. She said it was great seeing everyone but she wouldn't want to live there and was ready to come back to Oz after 2 weeks. She also thanked us for bringing her to Oz which was great for me to hear!

She's now lives away from home and is in her 2nd year at Uni and plans to go travelling when she has finished. Who knows where she will end up?

I think she gained so much confidence when we moved, she became very independent very quickly. Taking her out of her comfort zone and having to make new friends was difficult but she rose to the challenge and I'm really proud of her.

Its just another point of view for you but it might not be as bad as you think. You might actually enjoy yourself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.