British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What Makes A Permanent Resident?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-makes-permanent-resident-222705/)

dawn a Apr 6th 2004 8:54 pm

What Makes A Permanent Resident??

EVENING ALL

WE HAVE OUR VISAS AND WILL ARRIVE BEGINNING OF JUNE. ARE WE THEN PERMANENT RESIDENTS OR DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE?

MY VISA IN PASSPORT SAYS CLASS BN RESIDENT.

CHEERS

DAX
:confused:

dawn a Apr 6th 2004 9:16 pm

anybody please...:D

mlbonner Apr 6th 2004 9:18 pm

I dont know what the 'BN' stands for. But having permanent resident on your visa would seem to indicate to me that, thats it.

What visa did you apply for? Have you had a look on the immi.gov.au to see if you can find your visa class?

Philanthropist5 Apr 6th 2004 9:22 pm

Re: What Makes A Permanent Resident??

Originally posted by dawn a
EVENING ALL

WE HAVE OUR VISAS AND WILL ARRIVE BEGINNING OF JUNE. ARE WE THEN PERMANENT RESIDENTS OR DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE?

CHEERS

DAX

hi
does it depend on your type of application

just checked our visa it states :
class BQ resident s241

further down though it reads, multiple travel holder prrmitted to remain in australia indefinitely

sounds ok to me.

hope to be flying mid June
reality bites.
good luck,

philanthropist

dawn a Apr 6th 2004 9:25 pm

hiya, we applied for skilled ind.

My brother who is thinking of applying says that if we can sponser him if we are 'permanent' residents. He will get extra 15 points for that. Will we have permanent residents status as soon as we arrive or is it given after a certain amount of time?

dawn a Apr 6th 2004 9:31 pm

i am off to look at the DIMIA's website

Grayling Apr 6th 2004 9:35 pm

hiya, we applied for skilled ind.

My brother who is thinking of applying says that if we can sponser him if we are 'permanent' residents. He will get extra 15 points for that. Will we have permanent residents status as soon as we arrive or is it given after a certain amount of time?
Hi
You become a permanent resident when you go to live there.You usually have to be there 2 years before you can then sponsor anyone.

G

dawn a Apr 6th 2004 9:38 pm

many thanks - thought that might be the case

thanks all and good luck.

mlbonner Apr 6th 2004 9:51 pm

many thanks - thought that might be the case

thanks all and good luck.

Yup, you do have to be there two years before you can sponsor anyone.

salonit Apr 6th 2004 9:57 pm

Re: What Makes A Permanent Resident??

EVENING ALL

CHEERS

DAX

bn is the subclass of the visa ( we are bn136 ) but you are a PR as u have the right to remain indefinitely

Leo Apr 7th 2004 2:41 am

Your answer is correct, but just a minute clarification -

Thhe sponsor has to be australian resident for two years and in addition the assurer has to meet income guidelines and show tax assessments for the last two fiscal years. Dependent on when you came in and how long you have had jobs, it may take more than two years.

It is important to note, that the sponsor and the assurer does not have to be the same person.

Hope that helps.

../Leo

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi
You become a permanent resident when you go to live there.You usually have to be there 2 years before you can then sponsor anyone.

G

ptlabs Apr 8th 2004 12:21 pm

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi

G
Not entirely true.

Not all sponsored visas require that the sponsor be 'settled' in Australia. Some sponsored visas simply require the sponsor to either be an Australian citizen or permanent resident usually living in Australia.

You could do yourself a favour and read the Skilled Migration Booklet closely.

Peter