Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes A Permanent Resident??

What Makes A Permanent Resident??

Old Apr 6th 2004, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

dawn a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Makes A Permanent Resident??

EVENING ALL

WE HAVE OUR VISAS AND WILL ARRIVE BEGINNING OF JUNE. ARE WE THEN PERMANENT RESIDENTS OR DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE?

MY VISA IN PASSPORT SAYS CLASS BN RESIDENT.

CHEERS

DAX
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

anybody please...
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:18 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I dont know what the 'BN' stands for. But having permanent resident on your visa would seem to indicate to me that, thats it.

What visa did you apply for? Have you had a look on the immi.gov.au to see if you can find your visa class?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Makes A Permanent Resident??

Originally posted by dawn a
EVENING ALL

WE HAVE OUR VISAS AND WILL ARRIVE BEGINNING OF JUNE. ARE WE THEN PERMANENT RESIDENTS OR DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHILE?

CHEERS

DAX

hi
does it depend on your type of application

just checked our visa it states :
class BQ resident s241

further down though it reads, multiple travel holder prrmitted to remain in australia indefinitely

sounds ok to me.

hope to be flying mid June
reality bites.
good luck,

philanthropist
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

hiya, we applied for skilled ind.

My brother who is thinking of applying says that if we can sponser him if we are 'permanent' residents. He will get extra 15 points for that. Will we have permanent residents status as soon as we arrive or is it given after a certain amount of time?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

i am off to look at the DIMIA's website
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

hiya, we applied for skilled ind.

My brother who is thinking of applying says that if we can sponser him if we are 'permanent' residents. He will get extra 15 points for that. Will we have permanent residents status as soon as we arrive or is it given after a certain amount of time?
Hi
You become a permanent resident when you go to live there.You usually have to be there 2 years before you can then sponsor anyone.

G
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks - thought that might be the case

thanks all and good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:51 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

many thanks - thought that might be the case

thanks all and good luck.

Yup, you do have to be there two years before you can sponsor anyone.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Makes A Permanent Resident??

EVENING ALL

CHEERS

DAX

bn is the subclass of the visa ( we are bn136 ) but you are a PR as u have the right to remain indefinitely
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:41 am
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

Your answer is correct, but just a minute clarification -

Thhe sponsor has to be australian resident for two years and in addition the assurer has to meet income guidelines and show tax assessments for the last two fiscal years. Dependent on when you came in and how long you have had jobs, it may take more than two years.

It is important to note, that the sponsor and the assurer does not have to be the same person.

Hope that helps.

../Leo

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi
You become a permanent resident when you go to live there.You usually have to be there 2 years before you can then sponsor anyone.

G
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:21 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Hi

G
Not entirely true.

Not all sponsored visas require that the sponsor be 'settled' in Australia. Some sponsored visas simply require the sponsor to either be an Australian citizen or permanent resident usually living in Australia.

You could do yourself a favour and read the Skilled Migration Booklet closely.

Peter