Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What makes people give up UK life?

What makes people give up UK life?

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What makes people give up UK life?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree with that.

You see, we are all different, and want different things from life, and like different things at different stages in our different lives.
I reckon I wouldn't have settled here 20 years ago....
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kporte
Funny you should that, it was near enough 20 years ago that I first came here, and never settled !! But this time round, in this point of my life, things are totally different for me.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
HDI 2008
1. Iceland 0.968 (▬)
2. Norway 0.968 (▬)
3. Canada 0.967 (▲ 1)
4. Australia 0.965 (▼ 1)
5. Ireland 0.960 (▬)
6. Netherlands 0.958 (▲ 3)
7. Sweden 0.958 (▼ 1)
8. Japan 0.956 (▬)
9. Luxembourg 0.956 (▲ 9)
10. Switzerland 0.955 (▼ 3)
11. France 0.955 (▼ 1)
12. Finland 0.954 (▼ 1)
13. Denmark 0.952 (▲ 1)
14. Austria 0.951 (▲ 1)
15. United States 0.950 (▼ 3)
16. Spain 0.949 (▼ 3)
17. Belgium 0.948 (▼ 1)
18. Greece 0.947 (▲ 6)
19. Italy 0.945 (▲ 1)
20. New Zealand 0.944 (▼ 1)
21. United Kingdom 0.942 (▼ 4)
22. Hong Kong 0.942 (▼ 1)
23. Germany 0.940 (▼ 1)
24. Israel 0.930 (▼ 1)
25. South Korea 0.928 (▲ 1)
26. Slovenia 0.923 (▲ 1)
27. Brunei 0.919 (▲ 3)
28. Singapore 0.918 (▼ 3)
29. Kuwait 0.912 (▲ 4)
30. Cyprus 0.912 (▼ 2)
31. United Arab Emirates 0.903 (▲ 8)
32. Bahrain 0.902 (▲ 9)
33. Portugal 0.900 (▼ 4)
And what does this amount to? Yet another set of rather meanliness stats bearing very little in the scheme of things one suspects. For example Germany comes in so low at 23 while Ireland is 5,whats that supposed to suggest?
If you look at another set of stats coming out recently Aussies were low down the happiness scales and yet another stated Aussie kids scored the lowest in reading,writing and maths in all countries measured.
Needless to say don't put a lot of crediance in such stats besides it being fun to ponder over.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willamos
I was contesting the notion proposed by some that if you fail to be happy in Australia it is because you are a miserable bastard in general. Which is stupid.
Yes it is. But I think this does apply to some - miserable bastard is not the term I would use. Most of the unhappy migrants I have met personally have had curious traits. But I can't and won't speak for people on this board who represent loads more people.

I'd be more interested in why you think people seem to be more venemous of the UK than Australia.

I've just been contemplating and I can't think of hardly any posters who do nothing but criticise the UK everytime they post to the exclusion of other subjects, and do this on a regular basis.

Whereas I can think of a current stream of posters who post negatively about Australia and this has always been the reason for them using the board.

To me that is the big difference between the factions on BE. Even the most heavily critical of the UK tend to vanish never to be seen again, or raise their head above the parapet occasionally - and even then some are considered, even humorous about it.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly not..and go back a little longer and forget it as the likleyhood would be no chance at all.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

On this section of the board this is true, but not in others sections.
See- this is where I disagree. You don't get the campaigns run here that are anti-UK. You just get a bloke from a council house in the Midlands who is bored with his life there and thinks it's too PC. Can be dismissed easily. Then you get the people who genuinely and specifically criticise their life in the UK which they have every right to do so - but only when the topic comes up. Like people who genuinely don't like UK weather.

Whereas people run anti-Australia campaigns that go for years. The posts they start have it this as a subject matter.

Debate is allowed here. If you started a "UK is going to the dogs" in the MBTUK you get jumped on immediately and get told that not only are you not allowed to say that, but that it is not welcome as a topic matter. At least people here will have the debate..
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
And what does this amount to? Yet another set of rather meanliness stats bearing very little in the scheme of things one suspects. For example Germany comes in so low at 23 while Ireland is 5,whats that supposed to suggest?
If you look at another set of stats coming out recently Aussies were low down the happiness scales and yet another stated Aussie kids scored the lowest in reading,writing and maths in all countries measured.
Needless to say don't put a lot of crediance in such stats besides it being fun to ponder over.
Don't take it out of context. It was in response to Grayling asking for a reference to standard of living measures which show Australia relatively higher up than the UK - that's all.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've just been contemplating and I can't think of hardly any posters who do nothing but criticise the UK everytime they post to the exclusion of other subjects, and do this on a regular basis.
I can think of regular and well known posters who do this....what's funny is that I've seen some of them change in the time that I've been on this board from having balanced views and writing posts that I used to enjoy reading....and now when I see they've started a new thread I just think oh FFS here we go!

Without giving the actual example, I can think of one culprit who regularly posts news articles of terrible things that have happened in the UK, often doesn't give an opinion themselves...or rants on about some new way in which the UK is morally bankrupt.

Then, the funny thing, sometimes near identical things happen in their own backyard here in Australia just a short time later and we don't see a similar post being written.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:49 am
Account Closed

See- this is where I disagree. You don't get the campaigns run here that are anti-UK. You just get a bloke from a council house in the Midlands who is bored with his life there and thinks it's too PC. Can be dismissed easily. Then you get the people who genuinely and specifically criticise their life in the UK which they have every right to do so - but only when the topic comes up. Like people who genuinely don't like UK weather.

Whereas people run anti-Australia campaigns that go for years. The posts they start have it this as a subject matter.

Debate is allowed here. If you started a "UK is going to the dogs" in the MBTUK you get jumped on immediately and get told that not only are you not allowed to say that, but that it is not welcome as a topic matter. At least people here will have the debate..
My point was that anti Aus comments on this section of the board will be hotly contested. Mbttuk is even more vocal in their condemnation of anti uk posts. I have no issue with either to be honest, everyone has a view, I just hate the black and white posts that state opinion as fact. You know the sort, Australians are idiots, Britain is bust, etc etc
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld

Without giving the actual example, I can think of one culprit who regularly posts news articles of terrible things that have happened in the UK, often doesn't give an opinion themselves...or rants on about some new way in which the UK is morally bankrupt.

Then, the funny thing, sometimes near identical things happen in their own backyard here in Australia just a short time later and we don't see a similar post being written.
But they tend to be easily dismissed. The cut and pastes can be instantly disregarded - that's what I am saying - noone really takes them seriously - that's my point. They're almost like low-grade politicians. You don't get the posters who wage 'hate' campaigns that go on for months and years.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My point was that anti Aus comments on this section of the board will be hotly contested. Mbttuk is even more vocal in their condemnation of anti uk posts.
Well now we are in alignment.... what I am saying - that in my opinion, people are not more venemous about their defence of Australia.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Well now we are in alignment.... what I am saying - that in my opinion, people are not more venemous about their defence of Australia.
So we agree but are still debating Sometimes I think I should read my posts before submitting....
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can think of regular and well known posters who do this....what's funny is that I've seen some of them change in the time that I've been on this board from having balanced views and writing posts that I used to enjoy reading....and now when I see they've started a new thread I just think oh FFS here we go!

One thing is for sure, the things that most people use as a reason for packing up the UK and moving elsewhere, exist in equal measure in their chosen country. Not me obviously
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So we agree but are still debating Sometimes I think I should read my posts before submitting....

Furthermore - I am on fire here - I have never had an issue with hotly contested subjects.

What I find amusing is when people talk about double standards, or point to what they see as a one-sided argument - and use this as a basis for posting and creating the heated contest in the first place, or honestly believe that their own negative example is the only one that can apply to Australia - always and only.

It's also amusing when people post negatively and don't come over as the sharpest knife in the drawer themselves especially when the subject matter is about the more arcane..or stupid people and stupid things...

I tend to post positively but have always recognised the negative aspects which I thank my stars for on a daily basis. And as I've said before, positive people generally get a better ride in life. And - that does not preclude critical analysis et cetera et cetera..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 12th 2009 at 6:09 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi we 'did it' because we were at the stage in our lives where we wanted a change. Never expected it to be ' utopia' & just as well cause it ain't. We came with the mentally, lets give it a go & if it doesn't work for us then its been a wee bit of an adventure. Nothing's forever & you only get one shot.....so why not???

Donna
We came with pretty much the same attitude. This forum helped a lot as I was aware of a lot of the negatives as well as the positives so never expected it to be all rosy.

We have all settled well and are happy with our lot. It's not always perfect. But...on the whole its pretty good. My daughter has a fun job and gets to go to places like surfers for a night out. Had we stayed in the UK she would have probably been working in a supermarket and getting to go to the local pub. Nothing wrong with that but her life is so much better here.

My son gets to spend his weekends in the pool with his mates. Has had a go at surfing and all manner of things he wouldnt have had much chance to do where we're from.

For us its been a good move for others not so good. Some come to return back then want to come back again. It's all down to the individual.

My opinion is its better to come and give it a try then return than to spend your life wondering if you should have took the opportunity when you had the chance!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.