Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Old May 19th 2005, 10:49 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave

5. People who say 'alright,

I notice this.

As a casual address to people, I might say "alright mate?". for some reason the aussies take this as me thinking they have some condition that possibly require medical attention!!
Old May 19th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

[
QUOTE=Professional Princess]Going through the whole migration process I have found, you go through loads of different stages.

Mine started off as 'I cannot wait to leave the UK', to being frantic about 'making it to Oz', money worries, right down to the sheer panick of the thought of being refused.

They all boiled back down to a strong dislike of the UK.

Then reading the comments on this sight of 'rose tinted specs syndrome', I wondered if there was a right or wrong way to be feeling in this stressful process.

As some of you know, in the past 2 months I have had a fair bit happen to me.

I have nearly lost my mum, I have been the victim of identity fraud and my money stolen, I have had my phone line tapped into and calls made.

Tempted to blame it on 'the damn UK', I thought to myself that crap happens and it can stick anywhere. Distance no object, bad luck is knows no prejudice.

So with the trauma of mum being ill, I slowly began to re-think my views on the UK, whilst still keeping my dream firmly within my sights.

The other week I was at Lambeth embankment on business and as I glanced up I spotted the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Lots of boats sailed slowly down the Thames.

I had seen it a hundred times if not more, but this time I really saw it.

Staring round at all the old buildings, the history, the sun shining, the tacky souvenir shops at the bridge, I grabbed my mobile phone and called the one person I pour my feelings to - my Mum.

'Mum, Im looking at Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, I have never noticed how beautiful London is!' I said to her in an excited voice.

'Thats taken you long enough' Mum replied.

Taking a last glance at the huge clock that sees in every new year for the UK, I wished I had brought my camera.

Totally fascinated with my new found love of this sometimes very hostile Capital, I got the bus to Waterloo station.

Passing the London Eye, I marvelled at the huge thing going round slowly, the people waiting their turn, some with Union Jacks, some with families, but all of them wanting their own perfect view of London.

Now last week I watched the VE day celebrations on TV, I really wish that I had gone to see it live in London instead of watching it on TV.

Seeing those proud war vets choking with emotion, standing there to every song sang by todays stars (except Cliff Richard as I dislike him as much as Celine Dion), their war medals hanging on their jackets.

The crowd waving their Union Jacks, I still cannot believe I watched this as its something I wouldnt normally see.

When Dame Vera came on the stage and those old soldiers fought back the tears and stood up as she greeted them, something quite suddenly hit me.

I no longer dislike the UK. I am ready to emigrate to Australia as that is my ambition, my vision and where I see my future.

I have discovered that I love London, warts and all. I love our Jubilee, although i am not a Royalist, I cannot wait for the next Coronation.

Our history is so incredible, I cant believe we are contributing to it in our own small way.

Its a comforting thought to think that instead of leaving a country I dislike, Im leaving the country I love, to move to a country I must learn about.

So the day I get my visa, will be the second proudest day of my life.

The first was when I discovered that Britain really is Great.
[/QUOTE]

What a fantastic post! People are much happier if they look at the good in a place rather than the bad. It's funny but I went back to London recently and thought it looked great. I think they have cleaned it up for the Olympic bid. There was no litter anywhere.
Old May 19th 2005, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jugsy

What a fantastic post! People are much happier if they look at the good in a place rather than the bad. It's funny but I went back to London recently and thought it looked great. I think they have cleaned it up for the Olympic bid. There was no litter anywhere.
I noticed London is cleaner too, especially on the tubes. It has a long way to go before it's 'spotless' but they seem to be heading in the right direction.

I love the area around Charing Cross Road because of all the bookshops. I can easily spend an entire day there just immersing myself in literary heaven...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:51 am
I'd rather be Buzz!!

SylvieKid is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar thing happen when I went to an interview in London - it was along the Embankment quite near to Aldwych? Anyway, I got there too early so had a slow mooch round the area. Had I not I would've missed seeing the most intricate and ornate weather vane I've ever seen! It was on top of a small but old tudor building and looked like an old Spanigh galleon and all gilt too boot!

It really perked me up - just as well really as I totally bombed on the test at the interview and couldn't get out of there quickly enough!! Anyway, if my partner and I do get to go to Oz I will miss castles and the like! (I know, how sad is that - not only do work in IT but I'm a 'castle-spotter' as well!?!?)

And to be honest, it's not so much the country but the people that I'm fed up with? Here's hoping we get good news soon!?!?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:36 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Post PP, it is amazing what you have on your doorstep and never realise it. A friend of mine married an Aussie Girl a couple of years ago and up till then I had hardly been to London. Once we started going out with their mad crowd I suddenly got to see all the sights, they thought it was hilarious a bunch of Aussie nannies showing a couple of Poms round London.

By the way your Gordon is a handsome chap, dead ringer for my Sydney, think the two could have been separated at birth. Ginger moggies are always full of personality and mischief. As the old saying goes 'Thousands of years ago the Egyptians worshipped cats as gods - cats have never forgotten this'

Back to the move abroad though, for me it was exactly the opposite, I had a year here in 96/7 and made some great friends, the idea of emigrating was sort of there in the back of my mind but at that time nothing serious. Life was ticking along nicely, no worries as one would say.

After both my parents passing away, a few work related and personal disasters, all my friends started settling down, getting married and doing that very British thing, dropping off the social scene and turning into vegetables in front of the telly I decided there was nothing to lose by heading to Aus. In the last couple of years the experiences I have had of petty crime and thuggery and general small mindedness of those around me just made me want to leave even more.

Now I've been here 8 months I know it was the right thing for me to do, I haven't missed one single thing about England, my friends here actually have lives away from the telly despite being married and in some cases with kids. I feel safer and happier and have a better standard of living than I did in the UK so I know I won't be going back to England again. One thing I have found interesting is that when I was in England all my Aussie friends made a real effort to keep in touch, now I'm over here most of my English friends find it too much effort to even answer an email!

It's horses for courses definitely and for some the distance to family or the differences in culture, scenery even weather can be too much, At the end of the day life is a journey and where it takes us nobody knows, all I know is, if you're happy in life stick with it if you're not try something different you never know you might just like it.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:16 pm
Professional Princess

I am bringing back this thread because of the terror attacks in London today.

Please lets keep it going to show those ba*tards that they won't bring us down.

Either leave a message or just sign your name.

People have been hurt or killed today, my heart goes out to them.

But a bunch of people that are too scared to face reality and their problems and turn to cowardly attacks on our capital, need to see that we will always come back fighting.

I am more proud to be British than I have ever been.

Samantha

Old Jul 7th 2005, 2:08 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

But a bunch of people that are too scared to face reality and their problems and turn to cowardly attacks on our capital, need to see that we will always come back fighting.

Samantha
Absolutely, well said.........(brilliant original post by the way PP - top notch !)
Old Jul 7th 2005, 5:34 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Samantha
Here, here.
Nobody will ever bring this country down and the gits that did it deserve what they get
Marie
Old Jul 7th 2005, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

The BULLDOG spirit and our sense of doing the right thing, and the fact we never give into terrorism scum
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:06 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Samantha
Totally agree

Kris
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Totally agree

Kris
Here Here, Rule Britannia
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:18 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Samantha
I totally agree.

And that ginger cat issooooooo gorgeous ...
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:38 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Here, here.
Nobody will ever bring this country down and the gits that did it deserve what they get
Marie
You said it in a nutshell girl

Kay
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:15 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Britain , the clues in the name GREAT , awful attack .
Thoughts for all those involved ,Perthforme X
Old Jul 7th 2005, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all that's been said.

My thoughts are with those involved in the terrible attacks and their loved ones.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.