Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Old May 16th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

I love the countryside here, the variety, the beaches, the british land is fantastic, and more diverse than most places on the planet.

trouble is though, the people running the land.
the total lack of common sense in the justice system

it also annoys me the number of people that are not working, yet still living comfortably, ok, i wouldn't deny a nice life to anyone, but when you can 'earn' in excess of 8k an anum by being sat on your arse, something is really wrong
Old May 16th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Im glad I realised now anyway. Because then I know what Im leaving behind.

Im very excited actually because we were planning our holiday and I was going to book to go to Australia for the 3rd time.

Something told me not to because I think when you're in the early stages of migrating, going to Oz can put your head in the clouds.

So its off to Phuket to try and do some journalism on the wildlife etc.

I cannot wait to meet the local people and see a different culture.

So holiday jabs aside (had 2nd rabies yesterday), Im looking forward to it.

A bit scared of being so far away from Mum, but life's like that isnt it?
Hi Sam glad to hear your mum's on the mend. Takes time tho. Ever since I got back to the UK I've been really appreciating everything we have. Driving to work is fab. The small country lanes, so green and lush, the quaint villages, all the history, the beautiful flora and of course the sunshine at the moment. I also appreciate the shopping, the fashion, the healthcare and the schooling (altho ask me again if I still like it when they go up to the crappy middle school here)! I love where I work, yes I know its Clacton, but when the weathers nice we throw open the doors and we can hear the seagulls and the sea! Today the kids are on a school trip to london, we've been there a fair bit since we've got back as they love it. I really didn't realise what i had until we left and came back. We're planning numerous little trips with the kids, the peak district, lakes, cornwall, devon and jersey and the channel islands. I think we've all learned not to take what we have forgranted anymore. X
Old May 16th 2005, 12:58 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi Sam glad to hear your mum's on the mend. Takes time tho. Ever since I got back to the UK I've been really appreciating everything we have. Driving to work is fab. The small country lanes, so green and lush, the quaint villages, all the history, the beautiful flora and of course the sunshine at the moment. I also appreciate the shopping, the fashion, the healthcare and the schooling (altho ask me again if I still like it when they go up to the crappy middle school here)! I love where I work, yes I know its Clacton, but when the weathers nice we throw open the doors and we can hear the seagulls and the sea! Today the kids are on a school trip to london, we've been there a fair bit since we've got back as they love it. I really didn't realise what i had until we left and came back. We're planning numerous little trips with the kids, the peak district, lakes, cornwall, devon and jersey and the channel islands. I think we've all learned not to take what we have forgranted anymore. X

Do you think you will move back to Oz?

Old May 16th 2005, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always loved the UK.

I've travelled to well over 20 countries so I at least have places to compare it with, and I think that when I've been away I appreciate it all the more, faults and all.

I grew up in London and lived there 20 years; couldn't wait to leave tbh. When I go back though I notice what changes have happened, and if I compare it to other world cities I think it's one of the most amazing places on earth. I still wouldn't want to go back and live there again, but I know that when I visit I'll never be bored!

Oh, and I love my little picture postcard village too!
Old May 16th 2005, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think you will move back to Oz?
Yes I do, but I'll appreciate the UK. Can't say when it'll be. It only takes a bad day here to blame the UK and want to run away back to aus! Don't feel completely settled here as we're in limbo at the mo! One minute hubby wants to stay, the next go! I don't think we'll know until August! Sometimes it seems a shame to leave such a beautiful place.
Old May 16th 2005, 2:40 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Now last week I watched the VE day celebrations on TV, I really wish that I had gone to see it live in London instead of watching it on TV.

Seeing those proud war vets choking with emotion, standing there to every song sang by todays stars (except Cliff Richard as I dislike him as much as Celine Dion), their war medals hanging on their jackets.

The crowd waving their Union Jacks, I still cannot believe I watched this as its something I wouldnt normally see.

When Dame Vera came on the stage and those old soldiers fought back the tears and stood up as she greeted them, something quite suddenly hit me.

<snip>
Will be interesting to see your reaction to ANZAC day when you eventually get to Australia.

This year I went to my first ANZAC day for 25 years and had a huge lump in my throat for exactly the same reasons you mention (apart from Vera Lynn and Cliff Richard of course ). Its wonderful to see all the old so'jers.

At the dawn service here in Perth the commentator chap had been really letting rip about the japanese and what they had done (I must admit I felt very sorry for any japs in the crowd, they must have felt like committing kamikaze by the time he had finished ) , and then during the parade these two guys in wheelchairs - one australian, one Japanese - came rolling down the street side by side. They got the second loudest cheer of the parade (the loudest was for the 107 year old WW I veteran (who was sound asleep and is apparently as deaf as a post LOL) )

Brought a lump to my throat and had to struggle really had not to cry like a baby. the fact that the crowd could cheer and clap so loud for this japanese guy really made me proud. The japanese soldier had tears pouring down his cheeks and the biggest ever smile on his face.
Old May 16th 2005, 2:49 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Will be interesting to see your reaction to ANZAC day when you eventually get to Australia.

This year I went to my first ANZAC day for 25 years and had a huge lump in my throat for exactly the same reasons you mention (apart from Vera Lynn and Cliff Richard of course ). Its wonderful to see all the old so'jers.

At the dawn service here in Perth the commentator chap had been really letting rip about the japanese and what they had done (I must admit I felt very sorry for any japs in the crowd, they must have felt like committing kamikaze by the time he had finished ) , and then during the parade these two guys in wheelchairs - one australian, one Japanese - came rolling down the street side by side. They got the second loudest cheer of the parade (the loudest was for the 107 year old WW I veteran (who was sound asleep and is apparently as deaf as a post LOL) )

Brought a lump to my throat and had to struggle really had not to cry like a baby. the fact that the crowd could cheer and clap so loud for this japanese guy really made me proud. The japanese soldier had tears pouring down his cheeks and the biggest ever smile on his face.
I think when people meet to celebrate their country, its an amazing sight, whatever the occasion.

Nice to see people there because they want to be and not because its expected.

Had I been where you were, that sure would have had me going too.

Old May 16th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

This is a fabulous thread. Me and my hubby often used to comment about the fact that the British are so down on themselves when actually we have a fantastic tapestry of history to look back on and we should be very proud to be from such a marvellous country (even if we did cock stuff up from time to time!)!

We came to australia for a change of scenery/environment/see another part of the world after I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 28 and heavily pregnant. It gave us a real wakeup call and we wanted to see what else the world had to offer.

When we went back to the UK last september for a holiday we were very impressed at the noticable changes in the short time since we'd left (2002). There seemed to be lots more union jacks around than were allowed before we left (in case we offended anyone by DARING to fly OUR flag!!) Lots of produce had the union jack on and exclaimed that it was proudly made in UK. YAY!! Also thought that the Yorkshire countryside is, of course, still some of the best in the world (IMHO!!)

I think that despite the hiccups in society in the UK, it has one of the most progressive attitudes to multiculturalism that I've personally encountered, yes it's not perfect, but we should be very very proud to call Britain "great"! cos it is!!

Gawd, I'm getting all nostalgic and homesick now! The north yorkshire moors, the dramatic scenery as the moors plunge down towards Whitby is still one of my favourite spots EVER!!

love sophia xx
Old May 16th 2005, 5:37 pm
Merlot

Let me tell you as much as I love being back the dowerness that I experience with British Joe public can get you down.

Where I work is classic, I blew my stack today as I am fed up of people whinging about little things that really don't matter.

I can honestly say I worked in many places in Oz and the attitute to work and life what 100% better, much more positive.

Come on Britain, get a smile and enjoy the great things you have!!!!

Merlot

Old May 16th 2005, 5:43 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Let me tell you as much as I love being back the dowerness that I experience with British Joe public can get you down.

Where I work is classic, I blew my stack today as I am fed up of people whinging about little things that really don't matter.

I can honestly say I worked in many places in Oz and the attitute to work and life what 100% better, much more positive.

Merlot
Like your sentiments.
I've been back in the UK for a year. Think that the place has lots going for it but when I came back last year the greyness of the skies matched by people's moods really hit me. I was very upbeat but over the year I've found it disappearing.

I'm afraid that I blame the weather - completely and utterly.
Old May 16th 2005, 5:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Merlot
It would be the perfect - yeah right - place to live if we had a warmer climate and someone blew up the Houses of Parliament. If (in the words of Billy Connelly) anyone who wanted to be an MP or a councillor were banned from ever holding office and if public sector workers got private sector wages.

The men in white coats are knocking at the door, must go..........
Old May 16th 2005, 8:08 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by NKSK
Like your sentiments.
I've been back in the UK for a year. Think that the place has lots going for it but when I came back last year the greyness of the skies matched by people's moods really hit me. I was very upbeat but over the year I've found it disappearing.

I'm afraid that I blame the weather - completely and utterly.
Yep, that old chestnut the weather. I DOES have an impact, just see how different people are on a sunny weekend to a wet mid-week in December!

It does drain you I have to say but hey I will keep the smile on my dial, even though I do get viewed with suspicion for being cheerful.

M

Old May 16th 2005, 11:22 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bleugh
it also annoys me the number of people that are not working, yet still living comfortably, ok, i wouldn't deny a nice life to anyone, but when you can 'earn' in excess of 8k an anum by being sat on your arse, something is really wrong
you get that here in oz, they are called "doll bludgers".

On the thread topic, the mrs & I were looking through some photos of last time we were in England and there were of a few of us out in the snow with the dog. The scenery was breathtaking, we forgot how much of an enjoyable time it was just walking around with snow & ice on the trees, really scenic. Have been up to the mountains here in VIC but it does not compare to just being able to wake up on a winter's morning and see a snow scene outside your home.
Old May 17th 2005, 5:03 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by NJJ
you get that here in oz, they are called "doll bludgers".

On the thread topic, the mrs & I were looking through some photos of last time we were in England and there were of a few of us out in the snow with the dog. The scenery was breathtaking, we forgot how much of an enjoyable time it was just walking around with snow & ice on the trees, really scenic. Have been up to the mountains here in VIC but it does not compare to just being able to wake up on a winter's morning and see a snow scene outside your home.

We used to escape to the Blue Mountains NSW for a bit of chill in winter.

M

Old May 17th 2005, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

We used to escape to the Blue Mountains NSW for a bit of chill in winter.

M
I remember going there mid-Summer and it was freezing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.