Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Old May 16th 2005, 8:33 am
Professional Princess

Default Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

I would love it if we can have the next Olympics in London.

That would be something to be proud of.

Old May 16th 2005, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
http://www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhib...parlsunfog.htm

Claude Monet
Houses of Parliament: Effect of Sunlight in the Fog 1904
(Le Parlement, trouée de soleil dans le brouillard)
Oil on canvas, 81 x 92 cm
Musée d'Orsay, Paris
Who is this bloke ?! ........ didn't even draw the clock ?!?!

rubbish! ........
Old May 16th 2005, 9:56 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Who is this bloke ?! ........ didn't even draw the clock ?!?!

rubbish! ........

Shall we have a 'London drawing competition' Jim?

We could all do our own interpretation of how we see London.

That should be fun.

Old May 16th 2005, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Shall we have a 'London drawing competition' Jim?

We could all do our own interpretation of how we see London.

That should be fun.
Sounds like a winner to me!
Old May 16th 2005, 10:00 am
Account Closed

Sounds like a winner to me!
There you go, just knocked one up

Old May 16th 2005, 10:05 am
Professional Princess

[QUOTE=Jim2004]There you go, just knocked one up

Give me a minute and I will do one.

Old May 16th 2005, 10:07 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Professional Princess]

Give me a minute and I will do one.
k, but poppin out, BBL
Old May 16th 2005, 10:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I would love it if we can have the next Olympics in London.

That would be something to be proud of.
Nice idea, but the buildings, history and beauty of the country wouldn't be organising and running the Olympics so unfortunately it is likely to be a complete c*ck up and not make us proud at all.

I love Britain, the colours, history even the quirky behaviour of some people. I don't love the climate, the fact that everyone looks and feels down most of the time, the cr*p running down of the country by someone (more than him actually but that is where the buck stops) who shows no respect for the country but has now decided that everyone else should be showing respect. (the grammar sucks but you get my drift )
Old May 16th 2005, 10:28 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

God that made me nearly cry, we just waiting on meds to be requested now but I come from london and hubbie cant understand why I will miss it..hes from epping and cant understand it at all, but ive become really nostalgic and even my daughter says she will miss the phone boxes, however admits to never noticing them before!!. Can I ask where you down loaded your fluttering fairy from...I love it
Dawn x
Old May 16th 2005, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting juxtapositions of rubbish air and water.

Still can't see the clock

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 16th 2005, 10:52 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sophie Louise
This is a great post. I'm not leaving England because I dislike it in any way at all. I'm actually very happy here - I have (er - had, as I finished on Friday) a good job, great family, friends, and I love England - for me it's more the countryside than the cities, but I'll be sad to go.

The decision was made more in terms of where can offer the best for the future, and I find England too expensive and overcrowded.

We came back from our hols in Oz (my first trip) 4 weeks ago to pack up our stuff, hand in our notices, and leave again. These 4 weeks 'in between' have been a real eye opener.

Knowing I'll be leaving people, I've made more effort to see all my friends, go out as much as possible, and visit all those places, restaurants, etc. that I had never got round to visiting.

I've been looking at England in a different way, and really noticing the scenery, and appreciating the beauty - even silly things like how it smells at night time, and the flowers that pop up in the woods.

There's a saying that you should live each day as if it were your last, and I feel a lot like that's what I'm doing at the moment. Makes me kind of regret not doing that before...!

Sophie
Totally agree Sophie. We`re leaving not for ourselves as we would rather stay here but for the well-being of our babies. We`ll try our best to come back one day though with the kids if it`s viable.

Used to live & work in London... would never want to do it again (dirty crowded smelly unfriendly city to be honest), but it`s got some great places to visit. Did the Natural History Museum a few months ago. Did the London Eye last week, as well as a wander through Trafalgar/Leicester Squares and Piccadilly Circus. Will hit Camden on wednesday and hopefully get a day to go to the Tower of London before we leave for Perth. Go to the British Museum if you guys get a chance... also free.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz
Used to live & work in London... would never want to do it again (dirty crowded smelly unfriendly city to be honest),

, as well as a wander through Trafalgar/Leicester Squares and Piccadilly Circus.

Just reading that bit - I could SMELL Leicester Square from here :scared: That area is just foul. I will not miss that.
Old May 16th 2005, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Good idea for a thread, personally my history & affection lies in west of Ireland which is a great place & one that I love going back to as often as possible. esp Galway for the guiness

I have up & down times about UK, my childhood was great here, I worry about standard of living in the future & whether it would be different elsewhere. Somethings are worth a shot at but as I get older life in UK isnt soo bad (as long as Im always busy with work).

Something happended recently though that made me proud to be from here & happy to be from England. A thai friend whom I met whilst travelling & looked out for me & showed me her city like I was a life friend. She met an english guy in Thailand & they stayed together, we kept in contact through calls & email (like sister/brother type thing) & hoped that she'd be ok (Thai people are amazingly outgoing & trustworthy from experience so I worry). Anyway they both moved back to UK & I met the guy - expecting it to be some old sleezy guy with slick pony tail & grubby finger nails. Anyway he was cool, same age as me, had a career here, great family etc & we got on loads.
She loves the UK (though she finds it cold - whatta U expect!) & always dreamed of living here & raising a family & to be proud of england. Anyway to cut short they are getting married in June in a ceremony in London & Im invited & will be a great day in the sunshine.

Its a good feeling when someones ideas for the future come true & this included living in England & having a great life compared to her past.
So that reminded me how lucky I was to be born here & the millions of people who would give anything for our way of life! Cheers Marty
Old May 16th 2005, 11:22 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Dawn
God that made me nearly cry, we just waiting on meds to be requested now but I come from london and hubbie cant understand why I will miss it..hes from epping and cant understand it at all, but ive become really nostalgic and even my daughter says she will miss the phone boxes, however admits to never noticing them before!!. Can I ask where you down loaded your fluttering fairy from...I love it
Dawn x

I found the fairy from the internet, my mate posted my head on it and someone from this site did the graphics to make my wings move.

Its my favourite so far.

Old May 16th 2005, 11:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stormz
Used to live & work in London... would never want to do it again (dirty crowded smelly unfriendly city to be honest.
Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just reading that bit - I could SMELL Leicester Square from here :scared: That area is just foul. I will not miss that.
Phew! .... glad it's not just me then! ...lol.

I think my prob is I see all these lovely places, at the wrong time (early hours!). I'm sure Trafalgar Sq looks lovely during the day, and to be honest do have visions of it then, but they get blown apart by the 12pm Friday night visions! ........ not nice filled with drunken louts!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.