Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

What Makes Britain 'Great'?

Old May 15th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: What Makes Britain 'Great'?

This is a fabulous post and my husband would agree with you 100%. He is a firm Briton and exceptionally proud of it. We too believe that Australia will provide a better future for our children (and us), but have no desire to forget our roots. I was also consumed with pride at our VE celebrations and also felt quite emotional watching the TV. England has many redeeming qualities and there is lots to be proud of.

Sending karma to you, because you so deserve it.

Sarah
Old May 15th 2005, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

For my pennies worth I'm bored of London. Grew up there, but got away 7 or so years ago, but still visit for work .......... NIGHTS!!

Drive me cab round London, in and out of SOHO and over all the bridges. North to South, East to West, and maybe it's just night time, but it's a scary place!!

Don't get me wrong, I know London has the History and all that, but to be honest it just does nothing for me ...... seen it all too much maybe and it's just nothing new anymore ?!

I dunno, I tell all the tourists that get in my cab that I'm prob not the biggest fan of London ....... so beware! ...lol

Sayin all that tho, been off work for a month or so and with the lovely weather today, I dunno, it aint so bad is it ?!?!

Back to work next week! ....... :scared:
Old May 15th 2005, 9:47 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

I really like London, hubby hates it he has to work there regularly and can rarely find decent digs, parking is a pain etc. However, we are going to take our two youngest daughters for a long weekend at the end of the summer, as they have never been and I feel weird taking them to Oz without them never having at least visited their capitol city.
Hoping hubby will enjoy it too as he will be doing the tourist type things instead of grafting all day!!
Carole
Old May 15th 2005, 9:52 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I read your comments with interest and actualy after much thought i came to the conclusion that its not my lovely country that i am wanting to get away from, Its what is actualy happening to this country we call home that i want to distance myself from. I am sure some people may want to call this rats leaving a sinking ship but to be honest my priority in life is my daughters future and right now that is an extremely and increasingly unhealthy looking one in this country. I dont know if Australia or any other place will hold the answers for me and my family but we are going to try anyway and hopefully have an adventure along the way. We have tasted a little of what Australia has to offer earlier last year and we liked what we saw.
Sometimes in life you just have to take the bull by the horns and just go for it! I totaly agree with many of your sentiments, this is a beautifull country with an immense history that is the envy of a lot of larger countries. There is no doubt in my mind that i wll miss many many things about 'home' but my home is where me, my wife and most importantly our daughter are happy and at peace.
I would like to wish you well on your adventure and i hope you find happiness wherever you go.

Nev.
Old May 15th 2005, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
I really like London, hubby hates it he has to work there regularly and can rarely find decent digs, parking is a pain etc. However, we are going to take our two youngest daughters for a long weekend at the end of the summer, as they have never been and I feel weird taking them to Oz without them never having at least visited their capitol city.
Hoping hubby will enjoy it too as he will be doing the tourist type things instead of grafting all day!!
Carole
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day

Sorry for my but I just see a lot of the bad side.

I hear ppl out here moan about 'the smog' ...lol, and parking, congestion charge and all the rest, but thankfully I don't have any of that

To see all the 'sights' for the first time, I'm sure will be excellent!
Old May 15th 2005, 10:01 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Thanks,
I'm sure me and the girls will love it, hubby will drag his heels for the first hour or so. I understand a bit, I think, where your coming from as hubby is ALWAYS stressed when he comes home from a London job!!
Mind you we live in Birmingham, so you think he would be used to it by now, although on a slightly smaller scale.
Carole

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day

Sorry for my but I just see a lot of the bad side.

I hear ppl out here moan about 'the smog' ...lol, and parking, congestion charge and all the rest, but thankfully I don't have any of that

To see all the 'sights' for the first time, I'm sure will be excellent!
Old May 15th 2005, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Thanks,
I'm sure me and the girls will love it, hubby will drag his heels for the first hour or so. I understand a bit, I think, where your coming from as hubby is ALWAYS stressed when he comes home from a London job!!
Mind you we live in Birmingham, so you think he would be used to it by now, although on a slightly smaller scale.
Carole
Yeah I'm only in Watford now so only 10 mile up the M1, tho in my opinion, it was just enough for quite a while, but the things we moved out of London for, and heading this way now, so we though about Australia ...lol

Seriously tho, I grew up in NW London and lived there till we needed to buy a house, for many reasons but one being needing a garden for kids!

Choice was a 2 bed flat in NW London with a patio if lucky!

or

3 bed detached house with 125' garden in Watford!

nuff said, but now the house isn't enough ........ need friendlier ppl too ...lol, oh and a bit of constant sun won't go a miss!
Old May 15th 2005, 10:16 pm
Keeping an eye out !

At least we had beautiful sun all day today, even made Brum look lovely !!!
Carole
PS. Love it really !

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Yeah I'm only in Watford now so only 10 mile up the M1, tho in my opinion, it was just enough for quite a while, but the things we moved out of London for, and heading this way now, so we though about Australia ...lol

Seriously tho, I grew up in NW London and lived there till we needed to buy a house, for many reasons but one being needing a garden for kids!

Choice was a 2 bed flat in NW London with a patio if lucky!

or

3 bed detached house with 125' garden in Watford!

nuff said, but now the house isn't enough ........ need friendlier ppl too ...lol, oh and a bit of constant sun won't go a miss!
Old May 15th 2005, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

At least we had beautiful sun all day today
Agreed
Old May 15th 2005, 10:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have discovered that I love London, warts and all. I love our Jubilee, although i am not a Royalist, I cannot wait for the next Coronation.

Our history is so incredible, I cant believe we are contributing to it in our own small way.

Its a comforting thought to think that instead of leaving a country I dislike, Im leaving the country I love, to move to a country I must learn about.

So the day I get my visa, will be the second proudest day of my life.

The first was when I discovered that Britain really is Great.
That makes me want to pop over for a weekend. When I last went over there was an exhibition of Turner, Monet and Whistler whose focus was on painting London in the smogs of the 19th century. The atmosphere captured in the images of the sun struggling to pierce the pea soupers made a mark on me. I have always enjoyed London but this provided a special angle on the city.

Old May 16th 2005, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Hope you Mum is well on the way to recovery.

Take your point on the historical side of things and the buildings in general, but I personally feel this way about Greece and the Caribbean too. If the question was 'What makes Britain Pretty" then yes I could agree but in answer to the titled question "What makes Britain great"......for me it has to be departures at Heathrow !!!!
Old May 16th 2005, 12:08 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Going through the whole migration process I have found, you go through loads of different stages.

Mine started off as 'I cannot wait to leave the UK', to being frantic about 'making it to Oz', money worries, right down to the sheer panick of the thought of being refused.

They all boiled back down to a strong dislike of the UK.

Then reading the comments on this sight of 'rose tinted specs syndrome', I wondered if there was a right or wrong way to be feeling in this stressful process.

As some of you know, in the past 2 months I have had a fair bit happen to me.

I have nearly lost my mum, I have been the victim of identity fraud and my money stolen, I have had my phone line tapped into and calls made.

Tempted to blame it on 'the damn UK', I thought to myself that crap happens and it can stick anywhere. Distance no object, bad luck is knows no prejudice.

So with the trauma of mum being ill, I slowly began to re-think my views on the UK, whilst still keeping my dream firmly within my sights.

The other week I was at Lambeth embankment on business and as I glanced up I spotted the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Lots of boats sailed slowly down the Thames.

I had seen it a hundred times if not more, but this time I really saw it.

Staring round at all the old buildings, the history, the sun shining, the tacky souvenir shops at the bridge, I grabbed my mobile phone and called the one person I pour my feelings to - my Mum.

'Mum, Im looking at Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, I have never noticed how beautiful London is!' I said to her in an excited voice.

'Thats taken you long enough' Mum replied.

Taking a last glance at the huge clock that sees in every new year for the UK, I wished I had brought my camera.

Totally fascinated with my new found love of this sometimes very hostile Capital, I got the bus to Waterloo station.

Passing the London Eye, I marvelled at the huge thing going round slowly, the people waiting their turn, some with Union Jacks, some with families, but all of them wanting their own perfect view of London.

Now last week I watched the VE day celebrations on TV, I really wish that I had gone to see it live in London instead of watching it on TV.

Seeing those proud war vets choking with emotion, standing there to every song sang by todays stars (except Cliff Richard as I dislike him as much as Celine Dion), their war medals hanging on their jackets.

The crowd waving their Union Jacks, I still cannot believe I watched this as its something I wouldnt normally see.

When Dame Vera came on the stage and those old soldiers fought back the tears and stood up as she greeted them, something quite suddenly hit me.

I no longer dislike the UK. I am ready to emigrate to Australia as that is my ambition, my vision and where I see my future.

I have discovered that I love London, warts and all. I love our Jubilee, although i am not a Royalist, I cannot wait for the next Coronation.

Our history is so incredible, I cant believe we are contributing to it in our own small way.

Its a comforting thought to think that instead of leaving a country I dislike, Im leaving the country I love, to move to a country I must learn about.

Great post Sam, i never disliked Scotland either we came to give the Kids and ourselves some oppourtunitys we did not have in the UK, we love it here and have no regrets at all. I have my memories of the things i do miss (pie & bovril at the footy on a cold winters day, then a lovely chinese carry out for me & the missus on the way home).

I appreciate what the UK done for me and the experiences i had there, the same as i have appreciated all the new experiences i have had here. Glad you found another little part of yourself before you leave and little things like that enrich the visa process all the more.

I hope that Visa arrives for you soon.

Malcolm.
Old May 16th 2005, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Going through the whole migration process I have found, you go through loads of different stages.

Mine started off as 'I cannot wait to leave the UK', to being frantic about 'making it to Oz', money worries, right down to the sheer panick of the thought of being refused.

They all boiled back down to a strong dislike of the UK.

Then reading the comments on this sight of 'rose tinted specs syndrome', I wondered if there was a right or wrong way to be feeling in this stressful process.

As some of you know, in the past 2 months I have had a fair bit happen to me.

I have nearly lost my mum, I have been the victim of identity fraud and my money stolen, I have had my phone line tapped into and calls made.

Tempted to blame it on 'the damn UK', I thought to myself that crap happens and it can stick anywhere. Distance no object, bad luck is knows no prejudice.

So with the trauma of mum being ill, I slowly began to re-think my views on the UK, whilst still keeping my dream firmly within my sights.

The other week I was at Lambeth embankment on business and as I glanced up I spotted the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Lots of boats sailed slowly down the Thames.

I had seen it a hundred times if not more, but this time I really saw it.

Staring round at all the old buildings, the history, the sun shining, the tacky souvenir shops at the bridge, I grabbed my mobile phone and called the one person I pour my feelings to - my Mum.

'Mum, Im looking at Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, I have never noticed how beautiful London is!' I said to her in an excited voice.

'Thats taken you long enough' Mum replied.

Taking a last glance at the huge clock that sees in every new year for the UK, I wished I had brought my camera.

Totally fascinated with my new found love of this sometimes very hostile Capital, I got the bus to Waterloo station.

Passing the London Eye, I marvelled at the huge thing going round slowly, the people waiting their turn, some with Union Jacks, some with families, but all of them wanting their own perfect view of London.

Now last week I watched the VE day celebrations on TV, I really wish that I had gone to see it live in London instead of watching it on TV.

Seeing those proud war vets choking with emotion, standing there to every song sang by todays stars (except Cliff Richard as I dislike him as much as Celine Dion), their war medals hanging on their jackets.

The crowd waving their Union Jacks, I still cannot believe I watched this as its something I wouldnt normally see.

When Dame Vera came on the stage and those old soldiers fought back the tears and stood up as she greeted them, something quite suddenly hit me.

I no longer dislike the UK. I am ready to emigrate to Australia as that is my ambition, my vision and where I see my future.

Oh and Sam, can I apologise for my earlier post. Well I stick to what I've said, but I have to admit I didn't read your post thru too well

I read up to 'dislike of the UK' bit, then kinda jumped to 'Houses of Parliament', and kinda finishing up with 'Britain is Great'.

I picked up Union Jacks & Jubilee along the way, but totally missed the bit about your troubles

Sorry if I came across as not caring, as NO WAY the case, just me trying to keep up with too many threads at once!

Sorry about your Mum, and your troubles, hope things all work out!
Old May 16th 2005, 12:45 am
wombat42

Its Royal Family Fat Fergie flogging weight watcher diets to the Americans to pay off her million dollar shopping spree debts when she runs out of taxpayers money, Camilla Shagging Charles and his spoilt brat pot smoking, Nazi dressing son. Where would Britain be without them.

Old May 16th 2005, 12:48 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its Royal Family Fat Fergie flogging weight watcher diets to the Americans to pay off her million dollar shopping spree debts when she runs out of taxpayers money, Camilla Shagging Charles and his idiot spoilt brat pot smoking, Nazi dressing son. Where would Britain be without them.
Yet Australia voted to keep them in favour of their own politicians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.