Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What made you decide to move to Oz???

What made you decide to move to Oz???

Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default What made you decide to move to Oz???

Just thought I'd post a thread to find out what is spurring everyone on to move to Australia!
Me and OH - Lifestyle in England has changed - Taxes to high - Crime - House Prices.

Everyone else???
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

John50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the roughJohn50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What made you decide to move to Oz???

My Aussie OH forced me to come here.
We were living in the UK but she got homesick so here we are in OZ i must admit so far its not growing on me...:curse: but i hope it will in time.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:50 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
Just thought I'd post a thread to find out what is spurring everyone on to move to Australia!
Me and OH - Lifestyle in England has changed - Taxes to high - Crime - House Prices.

Everyone else???

OH.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Orkney, Scotland bound for the Mornington Peninsula!
Barcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to allBarcop is a name known to all
Smile Re: What made you decide to move to Oz???

Everyone else???
For us it is all about the adventure and the change and wanting to experience life in such an admirable country. I know for some folks, there is an element of escapism from things that they are unhappy with. For us the UK is one of the greatest countries in the world and there is really nothing we are unhappy with in the UK and nothing we would want to change, or are desperate to leave.

However, there is a whole world out there, very little of which we have seen, and this great country with a whole lot of new experiences and differences in so many things, - the culture, the politics, the history, the landscape, the wildlife, the fantastic cities, the sports….

Looking forward to watching cricket at the MCG, and adopting an AFL team to support. Mostly I suppose looking forward to new experiences, starting afresh, taking in all things Australian, and as much as we can, putting something worthwhile back into Australia for granting us such opportunities.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant futureDawn&Andy has a brilliant future

we went to oz in 1995 and fell in love with the place then, never ever thought about movng there til about 18 months ago, one of hubbys friends had been thinking about it and told hubby with his skills (electrician) that he could get a visa, then bro in law said summat about he'd seen a bit in local paper at how australia was always looking for skilled workers, so andy came home from work one day and said how u fancy going to live in oz? i thought ok, another of his fads, so i said yeah sure hunny wotever ya want, thinking actually we would never be able to do it, he started researching it on internet, and he spoke to a few agents, realising how much it was gonna cost we started saving, then jan this year decided to go for it, by which time id just about researched everything possible i think, passed our tra back in feb, visa sent off in march and everything is now done just waiting on the decision, so its been a bit of a shock desicion for me, but now ive come round to the idea and its real we are gonna do it, its fantastic and i cant wait for the final plans to be in place and we are rready to start our new life

we are pretty happy with our life here, we have nice house, decent jobs ,we live in a nice area, and kids are happy, so its kinda scary giving it all up, but we fancy the adventure of a new country, we will just take each day and see where we end up, hopefullly we will love oz and settle but if we dont and we end up back in the uk,then so be it, we dont always know where life gonna take us and this is just another chapter in ours, we will be happy either way that we tried and then take it from there.

ohh and our trip in 95 was a freebie too, we won a holiday to oz from local radio, so hey who knows if we hadnt, we might not be where we are today, i think only becausei had been there before when hubby said about going, did i agree!!
house to sell and flights to book and thats it we will be off
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:42 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because we can

Carmel

x
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

I used to live there and have wanted to go back since I stepped foot in the UK.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:47 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

LauraC,

That's promising!

Carmel
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Barcop
For us it is all about the adventure and the change and wanting to experience life in such an admirable country. I know for some folks, there is an element of escapism from things that they are unhappy with. For us the UK is one of the greatest countries in the world and there is really nothing we are unhappy with in the UK and nothing we would want to change, or are desperate to leave.

However, there is a whole world out there, very little of which we have seen, and this great country with a whole lot of new experiences and differences in so many things, - the culture, the politics, the history, the landscape, the wildlife, the fantastic cities, the sports….

Looking forward to watching cricket at the MCG, and adopting an AFL team to support. Mostly I suppose looking forward to new experiences, starting afresh, taking in all things Australian, and as much as we can, putting something worthwhile back into Australia for granting us such opportunities.

Well said,

We are from Cornwall which is beautiful (although house prices are silly!!). We have lived in Hong Kong, Cyprus and Germany thanks to my husbands military career and now we love new adventures and although we love Cornwall we would feel almost like we have stopped living if we simply went home and settled in our house shopping at Tesco's on Saturday and doing the same routine things day in day out. We are therefore going, as a family, to the Mornington Peninsular in Victoria as our next family adventure, maybe forever but maybe until the next move?. We however are looking forward to the opportunities that Victoria will offer our worldly travelled children and maybe even a home (until they leave home!). We also love the Australian attitude to life.

You only have one life so you may as well live it to the full and experience all you can. Roll on our next adventure.

Cheryl

Last edited by stevensfamily; Jul 15th 2007 at 7:02 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

My OH had visited Oz a few times and fell in love with it and his enthusiasm rubbed off on me. Always wanted to live somewhere different and so we are off to Brisbane. A bit scared now though as it has eventually become a reality and wondering why the hell we are doing this but will breathe deeply and go with the flow..
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:44 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a student nurse in London I lived in a nurses home with lots of Aussies and Kiwis and it was always my plan to go there.

I met my OH in my 3rd year and he had a 7 year old daughter that he understandably wouldn't leave. She's 18 next birthday so off we go
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I wanted to do something different and have an adventure in another country. Plus we were a young married couple struggling financially in the UK (this was 10 years ago). It was a choice of buy in London in a not very attractive area (Feltham) or go to Australia. OH being a kiwi found it hard to get work outside of London as no one believed he would stick around. He often used to get asked in shops "what are you doing here?" in an incredulous tone. As it happened OH got offered a transfer to Sydney by his workplace so it was sorted. We were able to buy in Sydney (as I said 10 years ago!) reasonably quickly using our meagre savings as a deposit.

I've never regretted it. Australia has its shortcomings but I just love the fact that it's less crowded, there is plenty of sunshine and I don't have to dress up too much if I don't want to. Australia has been very good to us. There has always been plenty of work for my husband and as it turned out, we needed IVF to have children and the system here is very generous compared to the UK. We have a beautiful 4 year old daughter to show for it.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My OH's parents are Aussie and live out there, and we lived there for a while, but had to come back in 94'. He's always wanted to live there, so for him it was just a matter of time.

For me, I Don't like what the UK has become (too many things to list, you need to be 'very well off' to be happy here IMO.
I liked Australia, everything about it really (except the cockroaches ). It's a place I could settle and be happy, like we were before when we were there.

My kids loved it, especially school and we had a nice life, that was at the pace we wanted
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:43 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone else???
There are no rehearsals to 'life'.... this is the real thing.
Grab every opportunity... one day you'll be too old and you'll say "If only we had ..... "
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to live in a warmer less populated environment.
Oz was cheaper when we moved here too.
Got the notion and wanted to give it a go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.