Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Mackay like?

What is Mackay like?

Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:15 am
Just Joined

dmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the roughdmgss is a jewel in the rough
Default What is Mackay like?

Hi,

We arrived in Australia last September and settled in Caloundra.

The area is great - fantastic beaches - and the kids (16, 14 and 11) seem to have settled quite well.

But I can't get a job. OH has a job and he is not happy there. He also has to travel to Caboolture as he had no joy when applying locally.

So we were wondering if anyone is in Mackay and what the job and rental situation is like there? OH is a boilermaker and his mates at work say there is work in abundance for him and the pay is a lot better than round here.

How easy would it be for me to get a job? I'm a Medical Secretary/Receptionist. I have had a few interviews but was always told that as I'd not used the software they use here I wasn't suitable. So I went off and did a course which included using the software - and have now been told I don't have the experience in Australia. I'm in a no win situation and it is really depressing me. I've been to resume writing workshops and followed every piece of advice but now I'm not even getting interviews!

We don't really want to move from the area as the kids have made some good friends. Also we came here just as our eldest was a few months from finishing his GCSEs in the UK so it worries me moving him again as he is nearly at the end of Grade 11 and will finish Grade 12 next year.

I didn't want my first post to sound like I'm the ultimate whinging pom but I don't know any more what to do for the best. We are 'comfortable' here but I can't ever see us ever being any more than that or owning our own home if I can't get work.

So are we just in the wrong area?

Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

ste74 will become famous soon enoughste74 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What is Mackay like?

Originally Posted by dmgss
Hi,

The area is great - fantastic beaches - and the kids (16, 14 and 11) seem to have settled quite well.

But I can't get a job. OH has a job and he is not happy there. He also has to travel to Caboolture as he had no joy when applying locally.

So we were wondering if anyone is in Mackay and what the job and rental situation is like there? OH is a boilermaker and his mates at work say there is work in abundance for him and the pay is a lot better than round here.

How easy would it be for me to get a job? I'm a Medical Secretary/Receptionist. I have had a few interviews but was always told that as I'd not used the software they use here I wasn't suitable. So I went off and did a course which included using the software - and have now been told I don't have the experience in Australia. I'm in a no win situation and it is really depressing me. I've been to resume writing workshops and followed every piece of advice but now I'm not even getting interviews!

We don't really want to move from the area as the kids have made some good friends. Also we came here just as our eldest was a few months from finishing his GCSEs in the UK so it worries me moving him again as he is nearly at the end of Grade 11 and will finish Grade 12 next year.

I didn't want my first post to sound like I'm the ultimate whinging pom but I don't know any more what to do for the best. We are 'comfortable' here but I can't ever see us ever being any more than that or owning our own home if I can't get work.

Hi there

We will be in Mackay in 2 weeks, as I will be working in Sarina. Having spoken to people who live there, the feeling seems to be that Mackay is starting to Boom with work etc..

I will keep you posted when we land -

Steve
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Cant speak for you but hubbie can pick and choose his work. If he works in town he can earn around $27-30 but if he goes on site and works away he can earn something like $45-50. Ste said a boom is starting soon. Its started and has been for the past couple of years but with the decent wages, comes higher house prices so its swings and roundabouts. If you need any more info, let me know and good luck
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ste74
Hi there

We will be in Mackay in 2 weeks, as I will be working in Sarina. Having spoken to people who live there, the feeling seems to be that Mackay is starting to Boom with work etc..

I will keep you posted when we land -

Steve
What do you do and why Sarina? Mackays not big but Sarinas very small
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac67
What do you do and why Sarina? Mackays not big but Sarinas very small
I am a Construction Engineer and I will be working in Sarina as the site I am on is there. Its a goods yard for QLD rail that is currently being expanded. Not sure which part of Mackay we are going to live in yet, but we have shortlisted some property to look at

Ste
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

We are heading to Mackay!
Ste and Framac know this.....
We are still waiting for the house to sell.....Seems a nice place...but we aint been there yet.....
HKA
x
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
We are heading to Mackay!
Ste and Framac know this.....
We are still waiting for the house to sell.....Seems a nice place...but we aint been there yet.....
HKA
x
You had any joy with the house yet ?

Ste
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Plenty of viewers no offers.
Folk wanting to buy are waiting for theirs to sell....
HKA
x
PS You Ste and Franny will be the first to know when it sells believe me.
Oh, and Franny better have bought a Barbeque by then! Cheap skate barsteward....new house built for him....after the flood...no barbeque!
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

HKA
x
Oh, and Franny better have bought a Barbeque by then! Cheap skate barsteward....new house built for him....after the flood...no barbeque!
Beer and BBq sounds good to me lol, ours is in a container on its way !!!!
Bon voyage party tonight so it will be bad heads tomorrow.

Ste
Old Sep 15th 2008, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Mackayla will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Hi

We live in Mackay and my husband is a Boilermaker. Its true your OH would have no problem getting work and very good pay here in Mackay.
Regarding yourself I really dont think you would have a problem either its more about being reliable. I know that I have seen quite a few jobs for medical receptionists as my sister in law is in that field and they may be thinking of coming to Australia so it is something I look at. I dont know if its just medical side you would want to do but you would not have a problem getting receptionist/secretary work.
You also have to look at the fact that if your getting depressed then maybe it is time to move to somewhere that can offer both you and your OH the work.
About the kids I cant really advise you on that but Im sure they would prefer you to be happy.

Hope you decide whatevers right for all of you
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKA
x
BBQ bought Alan and the steak was delicious as was the sausages with well fried onions
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

We are now here in Mackay

Started work and move into our house in Glenella on Wednesday. Love the place......Too Easy.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Started work and move into our house in Glenella on Wednesday. Love the place......Too Easy.
Enjoy Ste. Glenella got hit bad in the flood and you'll probably still see the works vans about the place.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad to hear you have arrived Ste...
Hopefully we wont be long behind you....
HKA
x
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Mackayla will become famous soon enough

Hi ste74,

glad to hear you've arrived and settling.
Hope the house move went well you are in the same area as us !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.