Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the longest parents can visit for?

What is the longest parents can visit for?

Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default What is the longest parents can visit for?

Hi

Just a quick question what is the max time parents can visit Oz at any one time? I thought it was 3 months but have read somewhere on here that it could be 6 months. Could they come out for 3/ 6 months every year on a tourist visa? thanks
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the longest parents can visit for?

My parents came out on a tourist visa for 6 months every year for 15 years - I dont know whether anything has changed in the last few years though - there were some mutterings about things changing for them in UK if they were out of the country for any length of time but afaik they were never adversely affected.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:56 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is the longest parents can visit for?

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

Just a quick question what is the max time parents can visit Oz at any one time? I thought it was 3 months but have read somewhere on here that it could be 6 months. Could they come out for 3/ 6 months every year on a tourist visa? thanks
The ETA or its replacement is valid for unlimited visits within a 12 month period, each visit cannot exceed 3 months. So a parent could come for three months, go to New Zealand/Fiji/wherever for a week, and then come to Australia for another 3 months and so on.

The 176 (I think) visa is a tourist visa valid for I believe visits of up to a year. It has to be applied for and I think some elderly parents might need a medical reference from a doctor to indicate they will not be a drain on Oz health care system. Check immi.gov.au for more details as I have never had to be involved with this visa personally yet.

Buzzy
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Hi

we are going on a 176 and have had to have sponsorship to do it.

i thought parents were allowd to come for 6 months out of 12 and then return for the next year 6 months out of the 12, just on a visitors visa.

i hope so as this was what our parents wanted to do. does anyone know different....???
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

If it was my parents, I would tell them a max of 1 week every 10 years, and of that 1 week, they must not stay in one place more than 2 days!!!

TD
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

LOL.. you never know it may turn out to be shorter when we are sharing a house.....
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The ETA or its replacement is valid for unlimited visits within a 12 month period, each visit cannot exceed 3 months. So a parent could come for three months, go to New Zealand/Fiji/wherever for a week, and then come to Australia for another 3 months and so on.

The 176 (I think) visa is a tourist visa valid for I believe visits of up to a year. It has to be applied for and I think some elderly parents might need a medical reference from a doctor to indicate they will not be a drain on Oz health care system. Check immi.gov.au for more details as I have never had to be involved with this visa personally yet.

Buzzy
You can't extend an ETA. But you don't have to leave the country at all. You can arrive here on an ETA then apply whilst here (allow at least a couple of weeks before it expites) for 676 to extend the visit to a total of 12 months.

My late mother in law did this with no problems at all and let's just say she was not exactly in the best physical health.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

so if you dont extend it can you stay for 3 or 6 months...just on a visitors visa.....

thanks for the info...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do that too often then it will become apparent there is an attempt to establish residence in Australia => ETA may be cancelled on arrival and entry refused.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
LOL.. you never know it may turn out to be shorter when we are sharing a house.....
Build a granny flat - so much less stress

This http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/ seems to suggest you can get 3/6/12 month visas.

Last edited by quoll; Aug 16th 2009 at 9:52 am.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Quoll......

once we are regarded as settled they will apply for a CPV...... then a granny flat will be on the cards ...... ether that or a dog house....

am i right in thinking they can stay in the county on a bridging visa once they have applied for a CPV.. if so the granny flat may have to come sooner that we think...
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

My mother just got a visa for 6 months- no problems at all.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

jon6565 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seansuperhoop
My mother just got a visa for 6 months- no problems at all.
I think someone mentioned it above, but the question may well be "how long can you stand your parents staying"? LOL I think the 6 month rule remains intact
Old Aug 17th 2009, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Thanks very much everyone.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:26 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Personnally I think your all nucking futs subjecting your folks to trips like that every year ???

If you cant live without Mammy and Daddy moving half a world away from them is a bit of a mistake...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.