Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is it like to live by Pittwater, eg, Bayview, Newport etc?

What is it like to live by Pittwater, eg, Bayview, Newport etc?

Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

ozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really nice
Default What is it like to live by Pittwater, eg, Bayview, Newport etc?

Hi

We are looking at the Pittwater area to live when we arrive in Sydney at the end of the year. We have driven through there and stopped for coffee and it all looked v. nice - but what is it actually like to live there?

We are mid 30s with a young family. We need a good primary and soon a good high school.

Do most kids go to the public schools or are a lot shipped over to the private schools?

Is it full of 'older folk' or 'hippies' - or is it a mixed bag? Do easy going people fit in well or is it a bit snobby?

We like the cafe culture, eating out etc... I believe that there are plenty of places around there that should fit the bill.

Ta.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:20 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: What is it like to live by Pittwater, eg, Bayview, Newport etc?

Originally Posted by ozrocks
Hi

We are looking at the Pittwater area to live when we arrive in Sydney at the end of the year. We have driven through there and stopped for coffee and it all looked v. nice - but what is it actually like to live there?

We are mid 30s with a young family. We need a good primary and soon a good high school.

Do most kids go to the public schools or are a lot shipped over to the private schools?

Is it full of 'older folk' or 'hippies' - or is it a mixed bag? Do easy going people fit in well or is it a bit snobby?

We like the cafe culture, eating out etc... I believe that there are plenty of places around there that should fit the bill.

Ta.
It's a great place to live to be sure. Bayview a little too sleepy for me and Newport far too much the other way. Would you go as far as Avalon? Good schools, shops, cafes, beaches, lifestyle...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

ozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really niceozrocks is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
It's a great place to live to be sure. Bayview a little too sleepy for me and Newport far too much the other way. Would you go as far as Avalon? Good schools, shops, cafes, beaches, lifestyle...
Thanks for the post...

How much further is Avalon (driving time)? I may need to drive to North Ryde at commuting time (hopefully not but I need to allow for the possibility).

I can imagine Bayview being a bit sleepy for my taste too. Maybe for my retirement.

Is Newport a backpacker/transient place? I didn't think that kind of thing went much past Dee Why...

I had heard reports that Avalon was a bit cliquey and not too friendly to newcomers - they were a couple of comments I read on the web and maybe they were posted by people who were not very nice ;-)

We do plan to have a boat on Pittwater so easy access to there is important.

Do you live in the area?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:07 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Mona Vale and are shortly to move to Newport. There's a whole lot of work going on in Newport at the moment with the main drag being redone... something like a Manly Corso but with lanes of traffic going through it...! Commute wise people tend to say that you don't want to live past Newport if you need to commute due to the Bilgola bends; there's a roundabout at the end of them which can be a nightmare depending on the time you hit them. Avalon's very nice, a bit sleepy, posh (!), and tick capital of the planet... Newport I think has a younger, more vibrant feel to it, and a decent pub in the Newport Arms.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DrWho
We live in Mona Vale and are shortly to move to Newport. There's a whole lot of work going on in Newport at the moment with the main drag being redone... something like a Manly Corso but with lanes of traffic going through it...! Commute wise people tend to say that you don't want to live past Newport if you need to commute due to the Bilgola bends; there's a roundabout at the end of them which can be a nightmare depending on the time you hit them. Avalon's very nice, a bit sleepy, posh (!), and tick capital of the planet... Newport I think has a younger, more vibrant feel to it, and a decent pub in the Newport Arms.
Decent pub sounds good ;-)

Would you say Newport is more 20 somethings with no kids/1 designer baby? Or is it more 30 somethings with a couple of kids?

I actually have a strange fascination with ticks and sit for hours pulling them out of the dog and/or me. Maybe I should move to Avalon ;-)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:40 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Decent pub sounds good ;-)

Would you say Newport is more 20 somethings with no kids/1 designer baby? Or is it more 30 somethings with a couple of kids?

I actually have a strange fascination with ticks and sit for hours pulling them out of the dog and/or me. Maybe I should move to Avalon ;-)
We've a couple of staffies and wouldn't live in Avalon because of it... Stories of horrible deaths from the Vets saw to that one...

Personally I'd have said Newport was more 30's or older and Avalon even older still...! The price of houses has pretty much stuffed anyone wishing to buy in Avalon - mind you that's pretty true of anywhere up here now...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Personally I like going to the northern beaches for a drive and a bit of lunch on the beach. However I could never live there as I find it fake and pretentious. Mona Vale and Narrabeen aren't so bad.

On the weekend you get all of the snobs come to the northern beaches from the north shore. So it makes the place even busier and more miserable.

Look around on the northern beaches. Watch people. Notice how no one ever smiles or shows emotion. It's depressing.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Personally I like going to the northern beaches for a drive and a bit of lunch on the beach. However I could never live there as I find it fake and pretentious. Mona Vale and Narrabeen aren't so bad.

On the weekend you get all of the snobs come to the northern beaches from the north shore. So it makes the place even busier and more miserable.

Look around on the northern beaches. Watch people. Notice how no one ever smiles or shows emotion. It's depressing.
Hey I live on the North Shore and consider myself to be quite a nice person actually
Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Hey I live on the North Shore and consider myself to be quite a nice person actually
Yes, anyone can move there.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

True, might not be able to stay though - too expensive
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
True, might not be able to stay though - too expensive
It might be a good idea to move if that's the case.

Many people these days fall in to the trap of living beyond their means. Just because a bank will lend you $1 million to buy a house and a BMW X5 (which are highly over rated anyway) doesn't mean you should take them up on the offer. Most genuinely wealthy people live in sensible areas, pay their mortgage off as fast as possible and then invest in appreciating assets. Many flashy people on the north shore can't afford to do that, they're too busy being owned by a bank to live in suburb that offers nothing more than those 1/2 the price.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Haven't got a BMW or a $million mortgage thx (although a million wouldn't get you much on the North Shore anyway). Where are you from? Would you recommend it?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:01 am

Oh yes no one ever smiles. Everyone is fake, pretentious and a snob. A right miserable lot.
KMA
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:14 am

Thanks for the post...

How much further is Avalon (driving time)? I may need to drive to North Ryde at commuting time (hopefully not but I need to allow for the possibility).

I can imagine Bayview being a bit sleepy for my taste too. Maybe for my retirement.

Is Newport a backpacker/transient place? I didn't think that kind of thing went much past Dee Why...

I had heard reports that Avalon was a bit cliquey and not too friendly to newcomers - they were a couple of comments I read on the web and maybe they were posted by people who were not very nice ;-)

We do plan to have a boat on Pittwater so easy access to there is important.

Do you live in the area?
Avalon, well the bends can add an extra 20 mins to your commute home. Never bothered me as it's not bad scenery and they work in your favour if you live there as it tends to put people off coming and makes it quieter than the beches south.
Newport does have more a greater element of surfers coming in for the summer, so you potentially have new neighbours every year imo.

Avalon has to be the friendliest suburb I lived in. A great sense of community and certainly family friendly. Yes there are very rich people living here, but real people too. Again imo but some may say different.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

It might be a good idea to move if that's the case.

Many people these days fall in to the trap of living beyond their means. Just because a bank will lend you $1 million to buy a house and a BMW X5 (which are highly over rated anyway) doesn't mean you should take them up on the offer. Most genuinely wealthy people live in sensible areas, pay their mortgage off as fast as possible and then invest in appreciating assets. Many flashy people on the north shore can't afford to do that, they're too busy being owned by a bank to live in suburb that offers nothing more than those 1/2 the price.
Didn't you jump on someone else's back on another thread for generalising? You must be friends with a lot of people on the North Shore to be aware of their financial status. Considering they are all flashy miserable people we can only come to the conclusion that you are the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.