Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHAT WAS IT LIKE??

WHAT WAS IT LIKE??

Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:56 pm
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice
Default WHAT WAS IT LIKE??

Just wondering what it felt like when you first got off the plane in Australia with your kids and bags standing at the exit of the airport following the whole emigration process. Was it like wow oh my god, or s##t what have we done?
The wife and I were talking about this the other night and it will seem strange to.......not have a set of keys!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:02 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT WAS IT LIKE??

Originally Posted by mers
Just wondering what it felt like when you first got off the plane in Australia with your kids and bags standing at the exit of the airport following the whole emigration process. Was it like wow oh my god, or s##t what have we done?
The wife and I were talking about this the other night and it will seem strange to.......not have a set of keys!
Was so jet lagged by the time we arrived, the immediate sensation was one of relief - that and a desire to get the hell out of the terminal building and have a ciggie. Next morning, waking up and realising we'd made it was a nice feeling though - and being an aussie citizen by descent I didn't have to do the visa thing, so I imagine the feelings would be intensified somewhat.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to allShoan and Rich is a name known to all

Thats true... no keys !

I like that idea
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Was so jet lagged by the time we arrived, the immediate sensation was one of relief - that and a desire to get the hell out of the terminal building and have a ciggie. Next morning, waking up and realising we'd made it was a nice feeling though - and being an aussie citizen by descent I didn't have to do the visa thing, so I imagine the feelings would be intensified somewhat.

Yep, exactly how I felt too, right down to the ciggie bit!. I remember thinking that I'd landed in the wrong city though, it was nothing like I thought it would be.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:22 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We were so over tired we were giddy. Like Wendy, though, it felt nothing like what we expected.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

It was like I had come home.

Buzzy
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:55 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

I went straight from Arrivals to the Royal Brisbane Hospital to visit my pregnant future wife who was admitted with high blood pressure.

And the madness hasn't really stopped since.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:59 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in the position of doing this twice.

I am an Austrlian who moved to England in 2003.

It was really wierd to be stading in Heathrow with no keys, no phone, no address, no car, no job, no nothing - just me, my guitar case and a suitcase full of clothes.

We moved back to Australia in August last year....

Same sorta thing.... although it did really feel like I was home.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I don't think many people will think 'wow', not after such a long flight.

We were just so tired. Took us days to come round. Then it felt like a holiday for a month or so. Then when we bought a house and bills came flooding in it felt like reality.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

A bit deflated, partly due to jet lag and that there were no fanfares when we went through customs!!!!!!
jacqui
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:04 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

did some travelling en route so it just felt like being on holiday but when we landed in Tasmania it hit me, I went into a deep depression and just wanted to get back on the plane and go home.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

A non-event

We'd done a 'dry run' 6 months previously (when we came out here to validate our visas) so in a way we knew what to expect.

Because of the above, and the fact that we knew where we'd be living and working, there was a sense of 'we're back!' as opposed to 'we've arrived!'

It was an overcast, early Saturday morning. No fanfares, no bunting, no welcome to Brisbane signs - just a slightly numb feeling, mild trepidation and the knowledge that a lot of hard work lay ahead of us.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I felt tired, smelly and a bit scared to be honest. Scared because I had no return ticket and no money to buy one.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:46 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

The keys thing is so true! We've just bought our first car here and finally I have somewhere to hang my bottle opener

It's very disconcerting at first, like going on holiday - but not, as you're looking at everywhere like it's supposed to be home - but it isn't.

We travelled round when we first got here and when we got back to Adelaide after 5 weeks that was a lovely feeling, that was the wow moment. I think you'll get both feelings at different times and to different degrees but that's part of the adventure. As long as there's more 'wow' than 's##t' you'll be fine
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

djamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant futuredjamesburgess has a brilliant future

I remember looking out of the plane window as it flew over and into Melbourne in the dark thinking "This is my new home". Very exciting.

Then wheeling my case down St.Kilda Road seeing the MCG and having those fake parrots fly past me in Botanical Gardens I was just in awe.

10 months later and I still feel the same - this is the place to be, no mistaking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.