Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What kind of jobs can I get in Oz?

What kind of jobs can I get in Oz?

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough
Default What kind of jobs can I get in Oz?

Please help me friends!!!!!!

MY BACKGROUND
I am a 37 years male.
I am going to get a PR to Oz in a few days.
I am a doctor here in India with an MBBS. I have been working in Government Rural Health Care Unit since 8 years. My job is to provide basic health care.

I think I have the following qualities which might help me get some job in Oz:
Am an Extrovert
Command over English – written (good), spoken (excellent)
Salesmanship – Good
Know driving.
Very hard working, can work for long hours/odd hours
Can teach English, Science subjects (though I do not have any formal qualification in teaching)
Have been teaching Spoken English at my wife’s English School since 7 years. She & I prepare students/want to be immigrants for IELTS – have around 50 students with good Bands. Quite a few are studying in colleges/universities in Oz.
I can work in MS-Word, PageMaker, PowerPoint, know how to use internet.
But I don’t know how to type (in the right way I mean), but I can find my way around the keyboard!

Now the problem is that I am feeling lost as to what I would do in Oz to earn. I know I have to take a licensing exam to work as a Medical Practitioner.
But what can I do to survive till I don’t pass the test?????????????????????
Can I teach in Schools? As teaching is an occupation highly in demand.
What kind of jobs should I hunt for or apply on Net so that I can start trying for employment right from here in India.

What are the jobs associated with health care that I can try?
Thanks.

gunit
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 12:20 pm
Jaj

Default Re: What kind of jobs can I get in Oz?

>On 3 Aug 2002 07:21:05 GMT, gunitm <[email protected]> wrote: Please help me
    >friends!!!!!!
    >
    >MY BACKGROUND I am a 37 years male. I am going to get a PR to Oz in a few days. I am
    >a doctor here in India with an MBBS.

On what grounds are you going to get PR? Doctors - even if their qualifications are
accepted in Australia - cannot migrate under the Skilled stream.

> I have been working in Government Rural Health Care Unit since 8 years. My job is
    > to provide basic health care.
    >
    >Now the problem is that I am feeling lost as to what I would do in Oz to earn. I
    >know I have to take a licensing exam to work as a Medical Practitioner. But what can
    >I do to survive till I don’t pass the test????????????????????? Can I teach in
    >Schools? As teaching is an occupation highly in demand.

You would need to have qualifications to be a teacher in Australia.

I'm not convinced you have a good chance of any kind of skilled employment
immediately post arrival in Australia on the basis of the information you provide. In
the short to medium term I think you are going to have to be prepared to do less
skilled work, to earn some kind of living while you adapt your qualifications and
training to Australian standards.

Jeremy

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 1:01 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Let me get the facts right:
1) You're an astrologer without a degree
2) You hold an MBBS degree from India
3) You teach English in India

If you were granted a visa under the General Skilled Migration category, I would be very interested to know what class did you apply under.

Anyway, I hope you are aware of the rules and regulations of the Australian Medical Council regarding overseas medical qualifications.

Peter
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

gunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the roughgunitm is a jewel in the rough

I have confused everybody on the forum.
Now let me tell u, i am the dependent and my wife is the
principal applicant. She has MA (English), MPhil (English)
and BEd.
She has applied under the "Primary School Teacher"
category.
I am a doctor and my wife is a teacher here and she does astrology
too.
I am kind of prepared to settle for something low in the
beginning and then acquire Oz qualifications and
then slowly get absorbed in the system.
But I do hope my wife would be able to get jobs in schools
as her profession is in demand. And by the way we
intend going to Melbourne.
What do u say mate????
Let me apologise for the confusion.
Infact i didn't want to overload the forum with explaining
who's who....

gunit
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 3:49 pm
Davit

oh shit.. another black breed again...

"gunitm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Please help me friends!!!!!!
    > MY BACKGROUND I am a 37 years male. I am going to get a PR to Oz in a few days. I
    > am a doctor here in India with an MBBS. I have been working in Government Rural
    > Health Care Unit since 8 years. My job is to provide basic health care.
    > I think I have the following qualities which might help me get some job in Oz: Am
    > an Extrovert Command over English - written (good), spoken (excellent) Salesmanship
    > - Good Know driving. Very hard working, can work for long hours/odd hours Can teach
    > English, Science subjects (though I do not have any formal qualification in
    > teaching) Have been teaching Spoken English at my wife's English School since 7
    > years. She & I prepare students/want to be immigrants for IELTS - have around 50
    > students with good Bands. Quite a few are studying in colleges/universities in Oz.
    > I can work in MS-Word, PageMaker, PowerPoint, know how to use internet. But I don't
    > know how to type (in the right way I mean), but I can find my way around the
    > keyboard!
    > Now the problem is that I am feeling lost as to what I would do in Oz to earn. I
    > know I have to take a licensing exam to work as a Medical Practitioner. But what
    > can I do to survive till I don't pass the test????????????????????? Can I teach in
    > Schools? As teaching is an occupation highly in demand. What kind of jobs should I
    > hunt for or apply on Net so that I can start trying for employment right from here
    > in India.
    > What are the jobs associated with health care that I can try? Thanks.
    > gunit
    > --

Old Aug 4th 2002, 1:20 am
Jaj

>On 3 Aug 2002 16:20:32 GMT, gunitm <[email protected]> wrote: I have confused
    >everybody on the forum. Now let me tell u, i am the dependent and my wife is the
    >principal applicant. She has MA (English), MPhil (English) and BEd. She has applied
    >under the "Primary School Teacher" category. I am a doctor and my wife is a teacher
    >here and she does astrology too. I am kind of prepared to settle for something low
    >in the beginning and then acquire Oz qualifications

I think that is what you will have to do before being able to get skilled
employment yourself.

For medical qualifications, read form 1062. You don't need to worry about the visa
bit, as if your wife gets PR you get it too, but everything else there does concern
you if you want to practise medicine in Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1062i.pdf

>and then slowly get absorbed in the system. But I do hope my wife would be able to
    >get jobs in schools as her profession is in demand. And by the way we intend going
    >to Melbourne.

She will still need to be registered as a teacher in Victoria, and the rules do vary
from state to state. http://www.detya.gov.au/noosr/leafle..._guide8_18.htm

State governments are especially keen for teachers to fill posts in rural/country
areas, and this is an option you may want to consider. It would be very different to
living in Melbourne. Getting a medical post (provided you are properly qualified) is
a lot easier in country areas too.

Jeremy

Old Aug 4th 2002, 8:45 am
Kiran

DavShiT strikes again. Why is it so difficult for you to find a woman in spite of
being white DavShiT? Is it the booger on your nose or just your revolting smell?