Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What kind of car do you get for AUD 15000?

What kind of car do you get for AUD 15000?

Old May 14th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default What kind of car do you get for AUD 15000?

Just doing some preliminary planning and budgetting and I was wondering sort of car (QUALITY and AGE) one would get for AUD 15 000?

We are a family of three (have a 5 year old daughter) and would look for something suitable for our family .....no real preferences. SUV has good space, but it is not essential.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is this enough to get a "good" car?

Nix

P.S. Should mention we are moving to Perth, although I am not sure that that makes a difference in car prices?

Last edited by Nix and Mike; May 14th 2008 at 12:43 pm.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of car do you get for AUD 15000?

From my research, second hand cars are pretty dear. For 15000 dollars you'll get a small new car. Not one for the family I would imagine. But, you could get a good 10 year old.
Old May 14th 2008, 12:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Just doing some preliminary planning and budgetting and I was wondering sort of car (QUALITY and AGE) one would get for AUD 15 000?

We are a family of three (have a 5 year old daughter) and would look for something suitable for our family .....no real preferences. SUV has good space, but it is not essential.

Nix

P.S. Should mention we are moving to Perth, although I am not sure that that makes a difference in car prices?
http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/
Old May 14th 2008, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

jimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to alljimmyd4006 is a name known to all

Nix

have you checked carsales.com.au probably best place to start..good luck
Old May 14th 2008, 3:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What kind of car do you get for AUD 15000?

You can pick up a late 1990s Toyota Tarago van for less than $15,000 in Perth. Two examples: here and here.

The Camry is another good option; you can get 2000-2004 Camry sedans and estates for less than $15,000. Two examples: here (sedan) and here (estate).

Old May 14th 2008, 10:07 pm
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You can pick up a late 1990s Toyota Tarago van for less than $15,000 in Perth. Two examples: here and here.

The Camry is another good option; you can get 2000-2004 Camry sedans and estates for less than $15,000. Two examples: here (sedan) and here (estate).

You can't go past ex fleet Falcon/Commodores in that pricerange. Boring, yes, but can be extremely good value.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

You can have my 1982 toyota corrola for $1500 and then have $13,500 left over for other things....

.... like alcohol...

For that money you can get a brand new 'small' car.... Or are you planning on a larger family?

Our 1996 Mitsubishi Delica 4x4 cost less than that and it goes off road as well as seating 7 people (we have 4 kids)...

Beware second hand car salesmen, they can smell fresh pommie a mile away and they are SHARKs
Old May 15th 2008, 3:33 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Nix

For $15k, you can get a brand new Kia Rio hatchback with 5 years manufacturers warranty, drive away price including all government charges and your first years CTP insurance.

New Kia Rio

May not be glamorous, but pretty much trouble free driving for 5 years, and not the worst cars in the world.

S
Old May 15th 2008, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Nix

We got an 18 month old manual Holden Viva Hatchback (Daewoo Lacetti with a holden badge slapped on it) for $15k including stamp duty from a Holden dealer in Reynella (not far south of Adelaide).

It's about the same size inside as an Astra but with a not so good finish.

Cheers

Steve
Old May 15th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
We got an 18 month old manual Holden Viva Hatchback (Daewoo Lacetti with a holden badge slapped on it) for $15k including stamp duty from a Holden dealer in Reynella (not far south of Adelaide).

It's about the same size inside as an Astra but with a not so good finish.

Cheers

Steve
So the answer to the op's question is a not very good one then

(only joking, i'm not disclosing what cars we bought)
Old May 15th 2008, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Second hand cars seem to retain their value much better in Australia than UK.

We bought a Ford Focus in Jan 2005 for $21,500. We sold it in Jan 2008 for $14,500. Today a new Focus can be purchased under $20,000. I would rather find the extra $4-5k to have a brand new car with 3yr warranty than something 5+ years old for $15k.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:46 am
Just Joined

riktus106 is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in Brisbane and bought a Mitsubishi magna estate v6 4 years old and payed 16000 for it. it still has a 3 year warranty on it i bought it from the main dealers....if this helps