Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What job do you do?

What job do you do?

Old May 22nd 2011, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Cambs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What job do you do?

Been reading through various threads here and so many disagree on the standard of living and relative costs. I was wondering what line of work people are in as it often makes a difference to kind of disposable income people expect to have, and social activities.

Is the construction industry really as dead in Aus as it is in england? Really?
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:55 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What job do you do?

Parts of Australia are good and parts are bad. Construction isn't as bad as the UK but it's not improving anytime soon.

You can't come to Australia because your tired of the UK raa raa etc. YOu have to really like the place to live here. It's not the migrants paradise it once was and won't ever be again.
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:36 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cambs
Sorry who stated that ???
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Weebie
Parts of Australia are good and parts are bad. Construction isn't as bad as the UK but it's not improving anytime soon.

You can't come to Australia because your tired of the UK raa raa etc. YOu have to really like the place to live here. It's not the migrants paradise it once was and won't ever be again.
Mate not a chance not had a day off in 12 months
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

stevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nicestevie87db is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oakwood 2
Mate not a chance not had a day off in 12 months
any chance of a job m8 lol am a carpenter looking for work when I move to OZ is there plenty of work for us?
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Cambs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie

Why, whats changed for the worse over there?
I'm not looking for a paradise and not work shy either, it would be nice to have the opertunity to earn a regular wage and live in a modest house without leaving in fear of an earlly heart attack of the stress just to get by.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

I'm not looking for a paradise and not work shy either, it would be nice to have the opertunity to earn a regular wage and live in a modest house without leaving in fear of an earlly heart attack of the stress just to get by.
i would think if you are thinking of for example to settle in sydney now
you would be in need of around the $100k plus income round 65000 quid plus,
and be looking at a house price around $600.000 about 450.000 quid plus
which is not that unusual a lot of people are two income ,if you live
hear you just go with the flow, so with a combined $200k income you could live quite nice

Last edited by Oakwood 2; May 23rd 2011 at 8:26 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

so with a combined $200k income you could live quite nice
lol and rightly so given only a tiny portion of the population has a household income of $200k
Old May 24th 2011, 1:58 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not looking for a paradise and not work shy either, it would be nice to have the opertunity to earn a regular wage and live in a modest house without a in fear of an earlly heart attack of the stress just to get by.
Parts of Queensland and NSW are struggling infact NSW is called the Welfare state by a lot of people as a bit of a joke.

Australia is probably fine for what your looking for but if you earn a good wage in the UK there is no doubt that you are probably much better off. Housing costs will take up most of your income and living in a poorer area is fine for some people but their are reasons why many Australias will avoid these areas.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty dead unless you are in some area where they need tradies due to floods ( rebuilding ) but a lot of that work is already tied up.

One of the main problems is a HUGE amount of commnercial construction was canned over the past 2/3 years. The impact of that has really begun to bite.
housing has also dropped right off.

I have been told ( on this forum ) that in Melbourne the building sector is booming, however we have relatives in it down there and they are not in total agreement with that, working but Very competitive, not booming, not according to them - who knows.

I will see for myself this weekend, partner has been offered work there ( almost 20 years commercial projects OZ and another 5 years overseas, aussie qualified ) dont know if we will move back down, would cause education nightmares - totally different states education wise.
Old May 24th 2011, 3:07 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question you need to understand the size and diversity of Australia. It’s easy to look on an atlas, but it really is big, and it’s hard to comprehend unless you have actually seen it.

It is also diverse, and many (most?) Australians don’t realise how diverse. It’s easy to sit in a wine bar after a working day as a stockbroker in Sydney, and think you know Australia. A thousand Km away there is a completely different lifestyle.

It’s not like London, where you can drive out to the shires and see how the other half live. Here you have to go a long way. There are aboriginal settlements that would shock you – think worse than Somalia. There are mining communities like Argyle Mine that look and feel like the Middle East without the Arabs.

The diversity and size means that some areas are booming, and others are struggling.

The high dollar is killing the tourist industry. Cairns is dying according to some posters. Two thousand klicks away (or less) the minerals industry is booming and there is a lot of work.

The construction industry isn’t dead all over Australia. But working in the areas where it isn’t dead isn’t always nice.

Edited to add: I just googled Argyle, and they have moved away from the 2000Km FIFO Perth arrangement to one of localised communities. I was not aware this had happened, so my comment isn’t strictly accurate. When I was there in the early 90s it was on a FIFO basis and felt like working in the Gulf.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; May 24th 2011 at 3:16 am.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Pretty dead unless you are in some area where they need tradies due to floods ( rebuilding ) but a lot of that work is already tied up.

One of the main problems is a HUGE amount of commnercial construction was canned over the past 2/3 years. The impact of that has really begun to bite.
housing has also dropped right off.

I have been told ( on this forum ) that in Melbourne the building sector is booming, however we have relatives in it down there and they are not in total agreement with that, working but Very competitive, not booming, not according to them - who knows.

I will see for myself this weekend, partner has been offered work there ( almost 20 years commercial projects OZ and another 5 years overseas, aussie qualified ) dont know if we will move back down, would cause education nightmares - totally different states education wise.
Lots of major apartment development across the Melbourne Northern Subs... loads of Cranes on the horizon. Another estate being built here in Coburg on the Kodak Site... around 400 dwellings. Supa Group who are doing my extension cannot get started for another 2 months... weather affected I think, they are very busy, been booked since February. . I'm having real difficulty finding tradies for Cash in Hand work.... short of a Plasterer and Tiler at present. Hence I'm stuck with the prospect of paying top dollar as much as 90 bucks per hour for those Two Trades. I reckon I will find them by the proposed July start.

Oh as for the point of the post... Wifes a Psychiatric nurse, I'm a Postal Sorter.. Night shift unfortunately..

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 24th 2011 at 4:16 am.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Been reading through various threads here and so many disagree on the standard of living and relative costs. I was wondering what line of work people are in as it often makes a difference to kind of disposable income people expect to have, and social activities.

Depends what sort of construction - housing is on a downturn, commercial depends on which city you're in - Bris/Perth/Melb are booming.

Mining, oil & gas and infrastructure are going crazy, wages are going sky high in QLD & WA
Old May 24th 2011, 9:26 am
Banned

only if you have an engineering degree.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

so with a combined $200k income you could live quite nice
Quite nice? **** me, I'd live 'quite nice' on less than half that. Oh hang on, I do, whilst stressing constantly about surprise bills. 200K? Yes please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.