Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What I will.........and wont miss

What I will.........and wont miss

Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile What I will.........and wont miss

Ok, its official, I am looking forward to the Brisbane move now (may also be attributed to the fact that I moved back to my parents b4 chrissy and they are driving me nuts).
To help this feel good about the move continue I have decided to write one of those pro and con lists on the forum as I would need a really good kick up the butt to sit down and write it any other way.

*I will miss cold but cosy christmas. I am having problems envisiging a barbie(or the like) on chrissy day instead of being all rugged up watching films that youve seen every year for the last ten years (and not too mention the Only Fools and Horses Christmas Special).

*I wont miss the public transport system . I cant afford to drive here so of course rely on a public transport system that has supposed to have so much money pumped into it but as somebody who took the bus everyday to work I can definatly say that things have got worse. Its not always the running but some of the silly b******s that drive the things. I once witnessed a mother put her toddler on the step of a double decker and bend over to close up her buggy. The driver was so impatient that he wouldnt wait , closed the doors and drove with the crying toddler. Us (the passengers on the bus had to scream at him for half the length of the road until he would stop and let the mother (obviously beside herself) get her baby back. How disgusting is that.:scared: :scared: :scared:

*I will miss the history. I didnt like it at school but as ive got more wrinkly I have found myself watching (shock and more shock.......UK History channel) and have even bought the Simon Scharmer History of Britain Books.

*I wont miss crippling council tax. Obvious I know but it makes me o so mad .As my other half ownes his own house in Brissy he couldnt believe that tenants here have to pay the bloody tax and not the landlord. Like me, I think a lot of people rent because they cant afford the super inflated costs to buy their own property but still (like me) are having to pay over £100 a month. When I left uni in 2002 I obviously needed any full time job I could get. On this wage, council tax equated to over a quarter of my monthly income.

*I will miss the old fashioned 'greasy spoon' cafe. Once a week I let myself have a treat (its a treat cos im trying to diet!!!) and love to get a good mag, find a cosy 'greasy spoon', a chip barm (roll for the southerners on the forum) and a huge steaming mug of tea and watch the world go by (also do a spot of 'people watching').

*I wont miss the 'indoor' culture. We work more hours than any other country in Europe, we come home, cook dinner, watch corrie/emmerdale then go to bed (cos we are usually too tired to do anything else). The weather here doesnt induce a 'get out of the house' feeling really does it?

......and just before you go to sleep...

*I will miss the place I was born and have never really left but hey ho to a new life blah blah blah. Life is too short to wonder what if!

This has really helped me in writing this and would really recommend anybody reading thats having the gitters/codl feet etc to do the same thing. Not necessarily in public like me but I may help you. My list is only a few of the really small things (also partly because my typing is rubbish ) but still important to me
Thanks for reading
BG
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldnt agree with you more
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya P,
Good post, I'm glad you're feeling better, 3weeks today isnt it? I'll e-mail you before my pc gets packed up on Wednesday.
Michaela
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Default Re: What I will.........and wont miss

I agree about the bus drivers ( apologies to any bus drivers reading this as I am sure the horrible ones are in the minority)

The other day I was on the bus and a girl got on who was clearly foreign and she looked all lost and she said to the bus driver
" sorry I dont know what to do " and the bus driver was lovely and helpful and explained etc etc
No actually that part is a lie- actually he ignored her, shut the doors in her face and drove off !!!!!
I felt awful and wished I would have had time to go and help her but it all happened so fast. I also really wanted to have a go at the driver but being a typical coward I just sat there as did everyone else.
I am so sick of people in this country being mean and ignorant.
I am sure that there are plenty of people in Australia that are the same but after witnessing that, it made me even more sure that my decision to emigrate is the right one.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

g and l is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by natty
I agree about the bus drivers ( apologies to any bus drivers reading this as I am sure the horrible ones are in the minority)

The other day I was on the bus and a girl got on who was clearly foreign and she looked all lost and she said to the bus driver
" sorry I dont know what to do " and the bus driver was lovely and helpful and explained etc etc
No actually that part is a lie- actually he ignored her, shut the doors in her face and drove off !!!!!
I felt awful and wished I would have had time to go and help her but it all happened so fast. I also really wanted to have a go at the driver but being a typical coward I just sat there as did everyone else.
I am so sick of people in this country being mean and ignorant.
I am sure that there are plenty of people in Australia that are the same but after witnessing that, it made me even more sure that my decision to emigrate is the right one.
I'm really sorry but i have to take great offence at this post. I cannot believe that this has been allowed to be posted and continues to remain on this forum. I will be lodging my complaint immediately. There is absolutely no reason I am aware of why you should ever EVER! apologise to a bus driver.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mcmercer
Hiya P,
Good post, I'm glad you're feeling better, 3weeks today isnt it? I'll e-mail you before my pc gets packed up on Wednesday.
Michaela
Ta mate
BG
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by buglegirl
Ta mate
BG

....still feeling good today.....two days in a row. Its a record
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:04 pm
Merlot

Ok, its official, I am looking forward to the Brisbane move now (may also be attributed to the fact that I moved back to my parents b4 chrissy and they are driving me nuts).
To help this feel good about the move continue I have decided to write one of those pro and con lists on the forum as I would need a really good kick up the butt to sit down and write it any other way.

*I will miss cold but cosy christmas. I am having problems envisiging a barbie(or the like) on chrissy day instead of being all rugged up watching films that youve seen every year for the last ten years (and not too mention the Only Fools and Horses Christmas Special).

*I wont miss the public transport system . I cant afford to drive here so of course rely on a public transport system that has supposed to have so much money pumped into it but as somebody who took the bus everyday to work I can definatly say that things have got worse. Its not always the running but some of the silly b******s that drive the things. I once witnessed a mother put her toddler on the step of a double decker and bend over to close up her buggy. The driver was so impatient that he wouldnt wait , closed the doors and drove with the crying toddler. Us (the passengers on the bus had to scream at him for half the length of the road until he would stop and let the mother (obviously beside herself) get her baby back. How disgusting is that.:scared: :scared: :scared:

*I will miss the history. I didnt like it at school but as ive got more wrinkly I have found myself watching (shock and more shock.......UK History channel) and have even bought the Simon Scharmer History of Britain Books.

*I wont miss crippling council tax. Obvious I know but it makes me o so mad .As my other half ownes his own house in Brissy he couldnt believe that tenants here have to pay the bloody tax and not the landlord. Like me, I think a lot of people rent because they cant afford the super inflated costs to buy their own property but still (like me) are having to pay over £100 a month. When I left uni in 2002 I obviously needed any full time job I could get. On this wage, council tax equated to over a quarter of my monthly income.

*I will miss the old fashioned 'greasy spoon' cafe. Once a week I let myself have a treat (its a treat cos im trying to diet!!!) and love to get a good mag, find a cosy 'greasy spoon', a chip barm (roll for the southerners on the forum) and a huge steaming mug of tea and watch the world go by (also do a spot of 'people watching').

*I wont miss the 'indoor' culture. We work more hours than any other country in Europe, we come home, cook dinner, watch corrie/emmerdale then go to bed (cos we are usually too tired to do anything else). The weather here doesnt induce a 'get out of the house' feeling really does it?

......and just before you go to sleep...

*I will miss the place I was born and have never really left but hey ho to a new life blah blah blah. Life is too short to wonder what if!

This has really helped me in writing this and would really recommend anybody reading thats having the gitters/codl feet etc to do the same thing. Not necessarily in public like me but I may help you. My list is only a few of the really small things (also partly because my typing is rubbish ) but still important to me
Thanks for reading
BG

Wish you all the very best over here, it is lovely to read your views. I am a POM returning to the UK in March. I forgot all about the Council Tax thing!!

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Merlot
Wish you all the very best over here, it is lovely to read your views. I am a POM returning to the UK in March. I forgot all about the Council Tax thing!!

Best wishes
Merlot
Thanks...
BG
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

my cousin just emailed me he had a week off and he works 8til7 every day!!!!!!

same s""" different country but no morgage and nice weather

can work part time and have a better quality of life because the bills are lower, if it was this way in this country i woudnt leave

arlene
Old Jan 31st 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

this may make you feel happier!
the history channel is available - you need to subscribe to austar or foxtel, also national geographic and discovery.
greasy spoon cafes certainly also exist here too!
karen
Old Feb 1st 2004, 1:22 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

*I wont miss crippling council tax. Obvious I know but it makes me o so mad .As my other half ownes his own house in Brissy he couldnt believe that tenants here have to pay the bloody tax and not the landlord. BG
Nice post BG.

But re: the council tax - it's hidden in your rent and it's quite high in Aus/ NZ as well! I've seen people posting how much and it's fairly similar to ours, NZD1500 pa which on NZ salaries must be just as crippling. They don't even pick up the rubbish for that in Dunedin, you have to pay extra for that.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Nice post BG.

But re: the council tax - it's hidden in your rent and it's quite high in Aus/ NZ as well! I've seen people posting how much and it's fairly similar to ours, NZD1500 pa which on NZ salaries must be just as crippling. They don't even pick up the rubbish for that in Dunedin, you have to pay extra for that.
How much is Council tax, and is that the same thing as Council rates would be over here ?

We pay about A$1,800 per year on council rates.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mcmercer
Hiya P,
Michaela
What will you be doing between packing up the PC, and unpacking it when you get here ?

Let us know when you arrive.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 9:39 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
What will you be doing between packing up the PC, and unpacking it when you get here ?

Let us know when you arrive.

I'll be dependant on internet cafe and friends goodwill this end but am planning to buy a laptop on arrival. Will drop you a line when we arrive.
Michaela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.