Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What I thought I'd get moving to Melbourne...

What I thought I'd get moving to Melbourne...

Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:43 pm
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Noodle
I replied to your PM - sorry for the delay.

Pete Y is right - we are mainly going back for family reasons. One to have the bbaby and family support, two because my husband has never really settled since leaving his brother, and other family (including 4 grandparents), whom he is very close with.
Good luck, keep you chin up, live your dreams......it's not a bad place for everyone, that's for sure.

HP
Hi hp whereabouts in Melbourne are you?
johanne
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Noodle,
I think you both NEED to read this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=187457
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by johanne
Hi hp whereabouts in Melbourne are you?
johanne
Kew (8kms east of CBD). Where are you? or are you in Sunny Blackpool?
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:36 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Noodle, I think you need to examine what it is that is making you unhappy, because a move to Oz or anywhere else will not solve that, you bring it with you. Relationships are put under pressure with the stress of migration and it is important that you are both committed to the realities of a move.

I do not understand the myth about it being cheaper to live here, because we do not find it cheaper, earning a lower OZ dollar, casual employment pays about $15hr which can make some grocery items 3 times the costs at home, on a living wage comparison we find it expensive to live here. One income families can find it hard to make ends meet.

I don't know what your husbands hourly rate is but if you look at that and compare it to the prices you pay at home for goods and then work out the comparison.

From a recent shop these items were

Lg box cornflkes$5.49
2L Milk$2.51
Lg tin soup $3.49
4 bars soap(one of the cheapest) $3.14
6 eggs $2.66
6 loo roll $3.00
pkt cheap biscuits 98c
1kg Cheese $6.49
bread $2.49
tin tomatoes 66c
bananas $2.48 kilo, apples $1.98 kilo, onions $1.38 kilo,

I know this sort of thread has been done before and others will say yes but if your earning dollars it can't be compared etc. Well from our experience if I was living on a wage n the UK that paid me £15.00 hr then was living on a wage $15 hr, then one pound would equate to one dollar in spending value to me.

So when I am shopping and working out the value of things I use this equation. Others will say you can't but I hope that my point is clear.

For example on the check out desk they sell these little chocolates for $1.00, I look at them and think $1. for that bloody expensive, then I find my mind drifting to well it would only be about 40p so that not bad, then bring myself back again and think $1 dollar thats expensive.

We have been here since august and have had no positive responses from any jobs, we are in Perth. I know others have got jobs but also others post that it is difficult. To maintain the sme standard of living most people agree that you need to aim to earn twice as much in AUD. But that is not easily come by.

None of these threads really get to the real experince of life here because it is not designed to do that. I feel a lot of pressure is placed upon those of us in OZ not to shatter the dreams of those still waiting to come out. Life can be hard wherever you live but I do think you have to be prepared for reality.

When we were reading PB and Dottys posts when we were still in the UK a lot of the information was shocking and we hung onto the other posters for reassurance.

I am now grateful for PB and Dottys posts as they have helped prepare me for the reality I did not come out with any great expectations and have therefore been accepting of what I found rather than disappointed.

I know other families are struggling to settle here, and finding the settling process hard. This forum could be more useful in sharing those thoughts and feelings and getting real support but sadly it is dominated by those still in the UK and the reality for some is disturbing to others.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: What I thought I'd get if I move to Melbourne...

Oh Noodle, I do feel for you, you sound really down at the minute.

We are in Perth so can't really compare to Melbourne.

But we are both on low wages but we get by and still manage to enjoy ourselves. It depends what you want. The things you mentioned are the things we do, we normally go out with the kids both days of the weekend, hubby gets home and straight in the pool with the kids (in the summer). I know the novelty of this will wear off in a few years but when you have kids you do these sort of things when they are young and worry about the rest later, at least they are having a fun time.

I imagined I'd have another baby too, I've not ruled it out altogether but we'd struggle so we'll have to see. The reality of it all IS different, life goes on basically the same as the UK but there are plenty of added bonuses here to make it worthwhile, it's all dependant on what you are looking for.

Good luck, I hope you feel more positive soon.

Di
Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What I thought I'd get if I move to Melbourne...

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I was feeling down yesterday. I don't think I'm running from any problems, but I would like to start again, make a new life in a new place and make new friends, none of that scares me in the slightest. Like I say, it's just whether I'm going to get any of those things that I imagined. Di, you've made me dead jealous!!!

I'll keep thinking and I'll try and keep positive.

Thanks again.

Noodle.x
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:03 am
tennisoz

Default Re: What I thought I'd get moving to Melbourne...

Originally posted by jandjuk
This is all possible if thats what you want. The weather won't always be great, and depending on your personality, you may get bored with the BBQ and the beach and the bigger house etc, you may not. Only you will discover that.

Whether it's worse or not is a matter of taste... don't let the reality of life Australia put you off. Aus is no better or no worse in many ways, but it is DIFFERENT to the UK. It can sound like Aus is littered with drugs and crime and bad driving - and these things do exist, but will have no greater affect on your life than they do in the UK. These should not be your reasons for deciding whether to emigrate or not.

Your reasons should be based on whether both you and your husband really want to do it. If it's both of your 'hearts' then go for it. You should go for the adventure, with the possibility of a better life, not the guarantee of a better life.

It will be a lot of hard work, and it will be tough - it will not be perfect, but it could be very rewarding if you want it to be.

It's kind of like what they say about having lots of money - money only makes you happy if you were happy before the money. It's exactly the same with emigration. Emigration is not a magic pill for life's problems, but it is a fun adventure.
That's real good advice that I couldn't have put better myself.

'You'll never know 'til you give it a go'.

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:05 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Noodle, I think you need to examine what it is that is making you unhappy, because a move to Oz or anywhere else will not solve that, you bring it with you. Relationships are put under pressure with the stress of migration and it is important that you are both committed to the realities of a move.

I do not understand the myth about it being cheaper to live here, because we do not find it cheaper, earning a lower OZ dollar, casual employment pays about $15hr which can make some grocery items 3 times the costs at home, on a living wage comparison we find it expensive to live here. One income families can find it hard to make ends meet.

I don't know what your husbands hourly rate is but if you look at that and compare it to the prices you pay at home for goods and then work out the comparison.

From a recent shop these items were

Lg box cornflkes$5.49
2L Milk$2.51
Lg tin soup $3.49
4 bars soap(one of the cheapest) $3.14
6 eggs $2.66
6 loo roll $3.00
pkt cheap biscuits 98c
1kg Cheese $6.49
bread $2.49
tin tomatoes 66c
bananas $2.48 kilo, apples $1.98 kilo, onions $1.38 kilo,

I know this sort of thread has been done before and others will say yes but if your earning dollars it can't be compared etc. Well from our experience if I was living on a wage n the UK that paid me £15.00 hr then was living on a wage $15 hr, then one pound would equate to one dollar in spending value to me.

So when I am shopping and working out the value of things I use this equation. Others will say you can't but I hope that my point is clear.

For example on the check out desk they sell these little chocolates for $1.00, I look at them and think $1. for that bloody expensive, then I find my mind drifting to well it would only be about 40p so that not bad, then bring myself back again and think $1 dollar thats expensive.

We have been here since august and have had no positive responses from any jobs, we are in Perth. I know others have got jobs but also others post that it is difficult. To maintain the sme standard of living most people agree that you need to aim to earn twice as much in AUD. But that is not easily come by.

None of these threads really get to the real experince of life here because it is not designed to do that. I feel a lot of pressure is placed upon those of us in OZ not to shatter the dreams of those still waiting to come out. Life can be hard wherever you live but I do think you have to be prepared for reality.

When we were reading PB and Dottys posts when we were still in the UK a lot of the information was shocking and we hung onto the other posters for reassurance.

I am now grateful for PB and Dottys posts as they have helped prepare me for the reality I did not come out with any great expectations and have therefore been accepting of what I found rather than disappointed.

I know other families are struggling to settle here, and finding the settling process hard. This forum could be more useful in sharing those thoughts and feelings and getting real support but sadly it is dominated by those still in the UK and the reality for some is disturbing to others.
Donna....the way i work it out....

Let look at rent, which is probably the largest expenditure, and work it out annually, as a % of salary, which is easier to quantify. This kind of thing will vary greatly for each individual.

UK.

Household income = £40000 (20k +20k)
Annual Rent = £9600 (12 x 850)
% of annual salary = 24

Australia

Projected household income = $70000 (35k + 35K)
Annual Rent = £12600 (12 x 1050)
% of annual salary = 18

Food....boxed and processed foods are more expensive. Fresh veg and meat are cheaper. It depends on how and what you eat. You can see this even in the short list of goods you provide.

Apples UK - Braeburn (cheapest) £1.59kg
Apples Aus - $1.98 a kilo

Alot of this is pointless swings and roundabouts. One thing cheaper here, one thing cheaper there.

There are also countless indecies which work out aus as having a cheaper cost of living.

http://www.expatforum.com/Resources/icol.htm

Lets not rely on statistics though. My wife who lived in aus for 20 years, and has lived in the UK for 4 is still amazed by how expensive it is to live here. Not in relation to the dollar, but in relation to her salary.

The last thing i will say, is that you CANNOT compare living on £15 to $15. Thats just plain daft. Here in the UK for casual work you will get paid £4 to £5 an hr. £15 an hour would equate to £27000 a year.......
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Noodle.

I havent read all the replies as im in a hurry but I can tell you this...

Follow your heart........

Im from melbourne and for 14 years ive yearned to go back but hubby wasnt having any of it... It has always been in my heart to return....

This year (jan) hubby finally agreed it was a good thing to do so we are off pretty soon (hopefully, fingers crossed and all that)

I know it wont be easy starting again but as our hearts are in it aswell as our heads!!! then |I know it is the right decision..

Go For It Noddle..........

cheers
and best of luck
booboo
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:17 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Donna....the way i work it out....

Let look at rent, which is probably the largest expenditure, and work it out annually, as a % of salary, which is easier to quantify. This kind of thing will vary greatly for each individual.

UK.

Household income = £40000 (20k +20k)
Annual Rent = £9600 (12 x 850)
% of annual salary = 24

Australia

Projected household income = $70000 (35k + 35K)
Annual Rent = £12600 (12 x 1050)
% of annual salary = 18

Food....boxed and processed foods are more expensive. Fresh veg and meat are cheaper. It depends on how and what you eat. You can see this even in the short list of goods you provide.

Apples UK - Braeburn (cheapest) £1.59kg
Apples Aus - $1.98 a kilo

Alot of this is pointless swings and roundabouts. One thing cheaper here, one thing cheaper there.

There are also countless indecies which work out aus as having a cheaper cost of living.

http://www.expatforum.com/Resources/icol.htm

Lets not rely on statistics though. My wife who lived in aus for 20 years, and has lived in the UK for 4 is still amazed by how expensive it is to live here. Not in relation to the dollar, but in relation to her salary.

The last thing i will say, is that you CANNOT compare living on £15 to $15. Thats just plain daft. Here in the UK for casual work you will get paid £4 to £5 an hr. £15 an hour would equate to £27000 a year.......

Pete at the end of the day, I am living here on this budget, there is no point you throwing your figures at me because it is meaningless to what I have left in my purse at the end of the week. I have an income I have an expenditure, I hope yu are able to earn $70,000 when you get here.

Ido not have to explain my shopping to you, buying processed or fresh foods, I think that as this thread began that people are anxious about the move from things they have read, then others come on saying its is cheaper. Well for me it isn't cheaper.

Do I need to repeat that for you or would you still like to challenge my reality.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by booboo
Hi Noodle.

I havent read all the replies as im in a hurry but I can tell you this...

Follow your heart........

Im from melbourne and for 14 years ive yearned to go back but hubby wasnt having any of it... It has always been in my heart to return....

This year (jan) hubby finally agreed it was a good thing to do so we are off pretty soon (hopefully, fingers crossed and all that)

I know it wont be easy starting again but as our hearts are in it aswell as our heads!!! then |I know it is the right decision..

Go For It Noddle..........

cheers
and best of luck
booboo

Thanks Booboo

At least you know what to expect. Where abouts are you going to, do you have kids? All the best to you.

Noodle.x
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:20 am
tennisoz

Any wonder you think it is more expensive in Oz when you use a £1 = $1 exchange rate Pete has covered it eloquently - some things are cheaper, some things are dearer, it depends whether you eat processed or cook fresh; people have different spending patterns, you need to work out things as a % of real income etc. Statements such as Oz is dearer or Oz is cheaper are meaningless.

You say that this forum doesn't show life as it really is in Oz but I can't help feeling that if someone else's life is different to your experience then it isn't real. Life is just different - between places, between people and so on.

I am sorry the work situation hasn't worked out so far but keep the chin up and keep trying. 'Things can only get better'.

TennisOz

Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:20 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand you're describing your experience, and nothing wrong with that - it's extremely valuable for others to hear and I agree with you about that.

But are you working in similar employment now than you were in the UK? For many in the UK, £15/hr would be above average, and for many in Aus $15/hr would be below average, so perhaps your experience paints a slightly 'unaverage' picture? (in this case)

You label it a 'myth', and it is in your experience, but it would be for the average person? (Assuming they could find work - which as you point out, is the tricky part).

Just putting across another point of view - the reality can be disturbing for some - but's also important we paint a full and accurate picture.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:21 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Pete at the end of the day, I am living here on this budget, there is no point you throwing your figures at me because it is meaningless to what I have left in my purse at the end of the week. I have an income I have an expenditure, I hope yu are able to earn $70,000 when you get here.

Ido not have to explain my shopping to you, buying processed or fresh foods, I think that as this thread began that people are anxious about the move from things they have read, then others come on saying its is cheaper. Well for me it isn't cheaper.

Do I need to repeat that for you or would you still like to challenge my reality.
Donna, i am not questioning your shopping habits, nor your reality. I am sorry if you feel that is what i am doing.

What i am questioning is your method of working out your cost of living. Thats all. I am just saying that you should be working it out in relation to your salary, not to the pound.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Noodle

We all have our dreams on what life will be like in oz but know that the reality will be far less and far harder, our reasons for going are for better quality of life, not bigger and better things (although that would be nice) we want to spend time having fun with our kids and make new like minded friends, even this we know wont be easy.

Perhaps you should lower your expectations a little, still have your dream but maybe be more realistic in the short term, dont worry about whether australia will be better or worse, it will be different and it will be up to you to make it better, by finding places and people who suit you better, or making yourself more suited to your surroundings.

Life is what you make it and sometimes it is bloody hard to make it what you want and i'm sure that this will be one of the hardest things to make work.

Be positive, it will be all the harder if you go into it full of negativity.

Good Luck
Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.