Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What I like about Australia - after 15 months

What I like about Australia - after 15 months

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:37 am
Badge

Default What I like about Australia - after 15 months

In some sort of order:

1) Pace of life - even in the CBD in rush hour. No bustle at all. People walk slow enough to have a conversation, its not a race. You can pause without being carried along like flotsam in the tide. (How's that for a bit of old prose, eh?)

2) Sense of space: in the roads, houses. Yep - I love the houses, 2 or more living areas you can go for walks in. Saves you wearing out the grass in the backyard tee hee.

3) Colour. Green is more pervasive than grey, even in the inner suburbs. here in E Melbourne, the hills even look like Oxfordshire etc. So no complaints of dry bushland from me.

4)People. In a word, easy to get on with.

5) Cars. Less crap over the styling, it's a lot less poofy if you will allow me. You pick a manufacturer, body type, engine size: 4,6 or 8. If you fancy it, get the sports pack. Service regularly - Bob's your uncle, Fanny your aunt. And fuel prices.

6) Footie.

7) Shopping. Visit local mall. Buy all you need, haggle for bargains if you have the time, save for a few luxury items; no matter - pop in to a store in the CBD, or go to Chadstone.

Also I like having a job that pays well. FAIR DINKUM. And the fact MrsB will be coming over soon and help sort out the house. I'm gonna take her shopping and she can choose everything.

Badge

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:42 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What I like about Australia - after 15 months

Originally posted by badgersmount
In some sort of order:

1) Pace of life - even in the CBD in rush hour. No bustle at all. People walk slow enough to have a conversation, its not a race. You can pause without being carried along like flotsam in the tide. (How's that for a bit of old prose, eh?)

2) Sense of space: in the roads, houses. Yep - I love the houses, 2 or more living areas you can go for walks in. Saves you wearing out the grass in the backyard tee hee.

3) Colour. Green is more pervasive than grey, even in the inner suburbs. here in E Melbourne, the hills even look like Oxfordshire etc. So no complaints of dry bushland from me.

5) Cars. Less crap over the styling, it's a lot less poofy if you will allow me. You pick a manufacturer, body type, engine size: 4,6 or 8. If you fancy it, get the sports pack. Service regularly - Bob's your uncle, Fanny your aunt. And fuel prices.

6) Footie.

7) Shopping. Visit local mall. Buy all you need, haggle for bargains if you have the time, save for a few luxury items; no matter - pop in to a store in the CBD, or go to Chadstone.

Also I like having a job that pays well. FAIR DINKUM. And the fact MrsB will be coming over soon and help sort out the house. I'm gonna take her shopping and she can choose everything.

Badge

Sounds like you are havin FUN!!!!

Can't wait till we get over there
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like my way of life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What I like about Australia - after 15 months

Thank you for such a unique view...

Very helpful to us going to Melbourne.

Cheers...

Originally posted by badgersmount
In some sort of order:

6) Footie.

Badge

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:10 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

You make it sound like you've lived here for 15 months, I thought you had only been here for a few months?. I know you were here a while ago (touring?) but didn't think you had actually started up a new life here until recently?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
You make it sound like you've lived here for 15 months, I thought you had only been here for a few months?. I know you were here a while ago (touring?) but didn't think you had actually started up a new life here until recently?
Badge is having such a great time in Melbourne it just seems like he's been there for 15 months already. Badge has posted some good stuff on life down under (recently his trip out to watch the rugby in the city) - more power to your keyboarding digits! It's a different slant on the 'been here for x months, here's what's different and what I don't like' type of thread (glass half full and all that).

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Badge is having such a great time in Melbourne it just seems like he's been there for 15 months already. Badge has posted some good stuff on life down under (recently his trip out to watch the rugby in the city) - more power to your keyboarding digits! It's a different slant on the 'been here for x months, here's what's different and what I don't like' type of thread (to him a glass is half full and all that).

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:29 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by OzTennis
Badge is having such a great time in Melbourne it just seems like he's been there for 15 months already. Badge has posted some good stuff on life down under (recently his trip out to watch the rugby in the city) - more power to your keyboarding digits! It's a different slant on the 'been here for x months, here's what's different and what I don't like' type of thread (to him a glass is half full and all that).

OzTennis

He does post some good stuff you're right. he loves it to bits and it suits him down to the ground.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He does post some good stuff you're right. he loves it to bits and it suits him down to the ground.
I didn't 'shout' by posting twice - the website seems to be playing up at the moment.

I was watching the Melbourne Storm being beaten by Andrew Johns and Newcastle Knights on Sunday and half expected the big substitution to turn the game around - Number 16 Badgersmount!

OzTennis
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:01 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ive been in Melbourne almost 5 years now & it only gets better. Getting up on a Sunny Saturday morning & wandering out onto the Decking with my coffee & paper, it still feels like its a holiday home & it belongs to someone else. Even better at night with beer & listening to the Cicadas. No I don't miss good old Scotland.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:06 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Ive been in Melbourne almost 5 years now & it only gets better. Getting up on a Sunny Saturday morning & wandering out onto the Decking with my coffee & paper, it still feels like its a holiday home & it belongs to someone else. Even better at night with beer & listening to the Cicadas. No I don't miss good old Scotland.
Dont blame ye not missin Scotland Bordy...its snowin here brrrrrrrrr

Im sitting here with 3 jumpers on and thick wooly sox lol, dont wanna go outside

Cant wait till we get there
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:11 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just after 2am here Biggy & was outside in short sleeved shirt lol. Hurry up & get your a** out here.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:12 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
Children? .....

Paper....which one do you read...? I like the coffee anywhere but I only read online ......which I also did in the uk.

Cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:15 pm
The Godfather

Children grown up Sandra, 20 & 22. I read the herald sun & yes I start at the Sport pages. Another thing I love now is the Footy out here, can't wait for it to start on Friday night. Just love how you can go to a game on the train with opposite teams Supporters & theres never a hint of trouble.

By the way the paper is on
www.heraldsun.news.com.au
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Badgers for PM (down with John Howard)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.