Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What house will you buy?

Wikiposts

What house will you buy?

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What house will you buy?

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I absolutely love the house we have now, even though its not totally original (some of it is reproduction).
Ours is about 30 years old and hasn't been updated at all. The extention is weatherboard and is freezing in winter and boiling in summer, but its got huge potential and has a beatiful outlook. (except the hideous kitchen and vile ensuite, i just squint when i go in there)
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Ours is about 30 years old and hasn't been updated at all. The extention is weatherboard and is freezing in winter and boiling in summer, but its got huge potential and has a beatiful outlook. (except the hideous kitchen and vile ensuite, i just squint when i go in there)
Well you've seen our kitchen, so I know where you are coming from .

Ours is turn of the century (no, not this century, early 1900s ) , not quite as grand as the pics I posted , but still nice. I actually have a working bathroom downstairs now & an ensuite thats gone from an empty room to being ready to tile, am I a happy bunny or what?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Old for me everytime. I would hate to be stuck on a sterile new estate in my very own mc mansion :scared:
Couldn't agree more! I'd hate to live in one those '4bedrooms rumpus room pool and all mod cons much like everyone else'.

We have a 1927 Californian bungalow, with cedar panelling, dinky little built-in cupboards, stained glass windows and fancy ceilings - more character than you can poke a stick at. Bit creaky in places but we love it.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickyc
Couldn't agree more! I'd hate to live in one those '4bedrooms rumpus room pool and all mod cons much like everyone else'.
We had the same sentiments exactly.

There's no doubting that you can get an awful lot (spacewise) for your money if you buy a mansion a la macca's. But when we were looking around them, none of them felt 'homely'. We couldn't imagine actually living in any of them.

The build of the houses together with the estates that they build just somehow remind me of the feeling of the film 'Pleasantville' - nice, but souless and characterless....
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

All a matter of taste I suppose.

I want a new 4 bedder with pool.
Don't like old properties and the problems they bring.
Don't like antiques.
Don't give much of a fig for historical items.
In fact not into history much.

Guess I'm new age or new world.

Bring on my big mac.
I'll leave the DIY to you good folks.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix
All a matter of taste I suppose.

I want a new 4 bedder with pool.
Don't like old properties and the problems they bring.
Don't like antiques.
Don't give much of a fig for historical items.
In fact not into history much.

Guess I'm new age or new world.

Bring on my big mac.
I'll leave the DIY to you good folks.
I was beginning to think I was all alone with my tastes Mine isn't exactly a McMansion though.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Don't like antiques.
So do you actually say this to BDB's face or not? (Sorry BDB, the line was too good to pass up ) .

BTW Bix, was gonna offer you a bed for the night, wouldnt want you to have to sleep in an old house though .

ABC errrrrrr *cough* depends on your definition of exactly .
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Remember this thread?:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=orrible+ouses

G
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 9:56 pm
Badge

'Older' is defo better.

Ours was built 20 years ago - just after the Ash Wednesday fires.

It is at the end of a winding tree-lined avenue, from the township, with 2-3 acre properties on other side. At the last bend, it opens out in a valley and we are at the end opposite an agistment area.

It is a modest 3 bed, 2 bathroom home on 1 acre, with a pool and a good sized deck - we need to reno the pergola roof over this. There is a back yard, and a paddock and then the same amount of land again going down a slope which is covered in trees.

We probably need to reclaim some of the deck and build a 4th bedroom/study in ten years time or build up; we could build an ensuite/bedroom/reading getaway area upstairs with a veranda looking over the valley to Harkaway. If I get a telescope I might even get Hevs in the shower...

Out front we have a front garden, with room for 5 cars to park.

Badge

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I had feeling of deja vu as I was reading this one, knew it had all been said before.

At least we're consistent in our likes and dislikes.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:10 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I had feeling of deja vu as I was reading this one, knew it had all been said before.

At least we're consistent in our likes and dislikes.
Blimey, I think a few of us just passed a test
Probably only G remembered that thread but as you say Nicky we are consistent
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:35 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Errrrrr, why would you think that? Don't you like old houses?
Sorry, I'd posted the link re Cedar Houses earlier and I thought your pictures were the same house before and after ie thats what they look like a few years down the line. The house in your first picture looks georgeous but the second one looks terrible
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Good excuse

You don't work for Wrigglies by any chance ?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:52 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Good excuse

You don't work for Wrigglies by any chance ?
huh
Old Apr 24th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Depends on who in the family you ask!!! lol

Me- 4/5 bedroom with pool and garden
Hubby 3 bedroom cheap as poss!

daughters- something big enough to have a horse or2 !!! oh and a big trampoline!

youngest son big enough to have a footie pitch!!

hoping to win the lottery before we go!! lol

...seriously hoping to have 4 bedroom to house my kids and a pool pref but will have to see when we get there!

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.