Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What the hell is this???

What the hell is this???

Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default What the hell is this???

Ok,all of you of a squeemish disposition look away now....

Right, three photos coming up, its of some kind of bug that looked like it was stuck in a twig, except the twig itself was soft and obviously part of the bug. It moved by sticking its head out about an inch, suckering itself to the ground, pulling itself along and inch, and then repeating the whole process. It was really unco-ordinated and clueless, last seen trying to climb the leg of the BBQ. WHY? And what the hell is it. It looks disgusting!

Anyway, over to all you entomologists.
Attached Thumbnails What the hell is this???-162-6275_img.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What the hell is this???

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Ok,all of you of a squeemish disposition look away now....

Right, three photos coming up, its of some kind of bug that looked like it was stuck in a twig, except the twig itself was soft and obviously part of the bug. It moved by sticking its head out about an inch, suckering itself to the ground, pulling itself along and inch, and then repeating the whole process. It was really unco-ordinated and clueless, last seen trying to climb the leg of the BBQ. WHY? And what the hell is it. It looks disgusting!

Anyway, over to all you entomologists.
dude, the stupid bug has it's head stuck in the twig
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you are not having your dinner!!
Attached Thumbnails What the hell is this???-162-6276_img.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:32 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Fair dinkum...., turn the barbie on.... Looks horrid.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Its not a twig!!! Its really soft, I watched it climb over the wheel of our BBQ, the 'twig-like' bit bent with it as it went.
Attached Thumbnails What the hell is this???-162-6277_img.jpg  
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
dude, the stupid bug has it's head stuck in the twig

That would mean it was pulling itself along by its arse which... oh actually, come to think of it, I used to work with a few people like that
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

STUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant futureSTUBBS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
That would mean it was pulling itself along by its arse which... oh actually, come to think of it, I used to work with a few people like that
It's an hairy arsed widdgity grub
Donna xx
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:47 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like one of those thingies from the Matrix!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We have loads of them up here.

I assume they are caterpillars of some sort.

Travel a long way in a day.

Largest one I've seen is about 3 inches.

I was power washing yesterday and tried to knock some of them off the ceiling but they withstood the full force. Cling like shite to a blanket.

Dare not touch them with bare hands as some caterpillars can make you quite ill just brushing against them.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:59 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

The latest theory we have is that it was a Caterpillar that had built itself a really realistic looking 'twig' cocoon.... and then realised it couldn't get out.

When I say 'we' have this theory, I obviously mean Mrs JTL

A Caterpillar who builds a cocoon it can't get out of.... sheesh
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Bix
We have loads of them up here.

I assume they are caterpillars of some sort.

Travel a long way in a day.

Largest one I've seen is about 3 inches.

I was power washing yesterday and tried to knock some of them off the ceiling but they withstood the full force. Cling like shite to a blanket.

Dare not touch them with bare hands as some caterpillars can make you quite ill just brushing against them.

This one was about 4 or 5 inches.

Oh and what is power washing? Is that like doing lots of laundry at one time?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:14 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that rather than building a cocoon (out of which should have come a butterfly / moth) what you have here is a caterpillar (or possibly beetle - hard to see) that has built an outer 'shell' out of twigs / mucus. This is partly for physical protection but more for disguise to stop being eaten by Kookaburras / Gallahs etc.

Can I have a gold star please?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:27 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Biddy
I think that rather than building a cocoon (out of which should have come a butterfly / moth) what you have here is a caterpillar (or possibly beetle - hard to see) that has built an outer 'shell' out of twigs / mucus. This is partly for physical protection but more for disguise to stop being eaten by Kookaburras / Gallahs etc.

Good effort!
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Biddy

Well yes... if you are right...

So did it over do it, and then couldn't get out of its camouflage, cos its lying dead on the patio now.

And it wasn't me honest...
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:43 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Well yes... if you are right...

So did it over do it, and then couldn't get out of its camouflage, cos its lying dead on the patio now.

And it wasn't me honest...
No - it carries it's 'home' around with it and retreats into it whenever some drunken expat having a barbie comes over to it!

If it's dead - chuck it on the barbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.