British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What has been your biggest adjustment? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-has-been-your-biggest-adjustment-649701/)

snurse42 Jan 17th 2010 10:26 am

What has been your biggest adjustment?

Hi, my husband has been offered a job in NSW to start at the end of March. We hadn't really condidered moving away before and I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10 and to be honest we spend most of our lives here working and taking them to various activities - cubs, swimming, cricket, football, skiing etc. We don't eat out much and we holiday in France camping. I wont be able to work when we move. We currently live in Cheshire in the UK. Any input would be great thanks :unsure:

BadgeIsBack Jan 17th 2010 10:27 am

Re: What has been your biggest adjustment?

Originally Posted by snurse42 (Post 8255939)
Hi, my husband has been offered a job in NSW to start at the end of March. We hadn't really condidered moving away before and I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10 and to be honest we spend most of our lives here working and taking them to various activities - cubs, swimming, cricket, football, skiing etc. We don't eat out much and we holiday in France camping. I wont be able to work when we move. We currently live in Cheshire in the UK. Any input would be great thanks :unsure:

3 kids. But they have been a while in the genesis. It's not like they were left on my doorstep.

Dorothy Jan 17th 2010 12:06 pm

Why can't you work? If you husband is coming on a sponsored visa his dependents are granted full work rights. If you are a nurse you can apply to the NSW nursing board for registration.

Oh, and the biggest adjustment for me was that Christmas is now 40° instead of -40°

HelenTD Jan 17th 2010 1:01 pm

Where in NSW would you be living? There's a huge difference between Sydney, smaller cities and the outback.

As a mum of 2 boys of similar ages, most of my time here is spent providing a taxi service. It sounds like your boys enjoy their sport, which helps a lot when you're living here, in terms of fitting in. Lots of camping trips possible, as well. Apart from deciding on where to live, which school, etc, the biggest challenge is forming a network of new friends. Having school-aged kids helps a lot with that, plus meetng people on BE. Sporting clubs are always happy to have a new parent to volunteer and most schools also need a hand with something or other.

snurse42 Jan 17th 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8256131)
Why can't you work? If you husband is coming on a sponsored visa his dependents are granted full work rights. If you are a nurse you can apply to the NSW nursing board for registration.

Oh, and the biggest adjustment for me was that Christmas is now 40° instead of -40°

Thanks Dorothy, I was told that I would not be able to work on a spouses visa, it may be that is wrong but I am not a Nurse that is just my married name xx

Pollyana Jan 17th 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by snurse42 (Post 8256441)
Thanks Dorothy, I was told that I would not be able to work on a spouses visa, it may be that is wrong but I am not a Nurse that is just my married name xx

If you are on a Spouse Visa youhave full work rights :)