Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has been your biggest adjustment?

What has been your biggest adjustment?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What has been your biggest adjustment?

Hi, my husband has been offered a job in NSW to start at the end of March. We hadn't really condidered moving away before and I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10 and to be honest we spend most of our lives here working and taking them to various activities - cubs, swimming, cricket, football, skiing etc. We don't eat out much and we holiday in France camping. I wont be able to work when we move. We currently live in Cheshire in the UK. Any input would be great thanks
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has been your biggest adjustment?

Originally Posted by snurse42
Hi, my husband has been offered a job in NSW to start at the end of March. We hadn't really condidered moving away before and I am trying to do as much research as I possibly can. We have 2 boys aged 5 and 10 and to be honest we spend most of our lives here working and taking them to various activities - cubs, swimming, cricket, football, skiing etc. We don't eat out much and we holiday in France camping. I wont be able to work when we move. We currently live in Cheshire in the UK. Any input would be great thanks
3 kids. But they have been a while in the genesis. It's not like they were left on my doorstep.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:06 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you work? If you husband is coming on a sponsored visa his dependents are granted full work rights. If you are a nurse you can apply to the NSW nursing board for registration.

Oh, and the biggest adjustment for me was that Christmas is now 40° instead of -40°
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Where in NSW would you be living? There's a huge difference between Sydney, smaller cities and the outback.

As a mum of 2 boys of similar ages, most of my time here is spent providing a taxi service. It sounds like your boys enjoy their sport, which helps a lot when you're living here, in terms of fitting in. Lots of camping trips possible, as well. Apart from deciding on where to live, which school, etc, the biggest challenge is forming a network of new friends. Having school-aged kids helps a lot with that, plus meetng people on BE. Sporting clubs are always happy to have a new parent to volunteer and most schools also need a hand with something or other.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why can't you work? If you husband is coming on a sponsored visa his dependents are granted full work rights. If you are a nurse you can apply to the NSW nursing board for registration.

Oh, and the biggest adjustment for me was that Christmas is now 40° instead of -40°
Thanks Dorothy, I was told that I would not be able to work on a spouses visa, it may be that is wrong but I am not a Nurse that is just my married name xx
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy, I was told that I would not be able to work on a spouses visa, it may be that is wrong but I am not a Nurse that is just my married name xx
If you are on a Spouse Visa youhave full work rights