Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens with a spider/snake bite?

What happens with a spider/snake bite?

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:03 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Default What happens with a spider/snake bite?

Can anyone tell me, what are you ment to do if a spider or snake bites you? Just a thought that come to me as I was reading some of these threads. Thanx.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What happens with a spider/snake bite?

Originally Posted by elksa
Can anyone tell me, what are you ment to do if a spider or snake bites you? Just a thought that come to me as I was reading some of these threads. Thanx.
Go to the Doctors quickly
Not being funny, but that's what I did when I was bitten by a snake. They gave me an injection of something, and then I spent a week in hospital.

I think you are supposed to keep the area that was bitten still, to stop the poison spreading.

What to do if bitten

Snakes

Most venoms contain toxins that affect the central nervous system. The aim of treatment is to delay the movement of the venom to the CNS until medical assistance can be obtained.

Applying a broad pressure bandage to the site of the bite and keep movement to a minimum. This means the limb or foot may need immobilising by means of a splint.

It is important to take a note of the size, colour, markings and shape of the snake’s head, to help administer the correct antivenene, which are available in most major centres and areas that have a high incidence of snakes.

Following the introduction of antivenenes the number of deaths from snakebite has fallen to around 10 a year.
http://www.healthnetwork.com.au/trav...bulletin_id=12

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Nov 7th 2004 at 10:22 am.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:22 am
ABCDiamond

What to do if bitten

Spiders

For most spiders (including the red-back), apply a cold compress to the site of the bite and, if symptoms appear, take the person to a hospital or medical centre. If needed, an antivenene will be given.

For a funnel-web bite, it is important to stop the venom circulating. Apply a compression bandage to limb affected and minimise movement. Then seek medical attention as an antivenene will be needed. If the patient goes into coma, expired air resuscitation (mouth-to-mouth) may be needed.

In general, if any area of the body becomes swollen, red, sore or itchy, a visit to the nearest doctor or poisons centre is recommended, even if you have not seen or felt the spider. The symptoms can take quite some time to develop, so do not assume that the symptoms, when they do develop, can be ignored. It is always better to be sure than to be sorry.

http://www.healthnetwork.com.au/trav...bulletin_id=12

This site also says what to do in case of being bitten by other pests, Sharks, Crocs etc., but, and More Importantly, How to avoid them.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:57 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good site too:
http://www.mydr.com.au/default.asp?article=2596
For snakes, apply a firm bandage and immobilise.
Call an ambulance. Same for funnel webs.
For redbacks, apply ice(to lessen pain), and call an ambulance.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:14 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
For snakes, apply a firm bandage and immobilise.
Simone,

Why would I want to apply a firm bandage to a snake...? And as for immobilising it - have you seen how fast these things MOVE...? No chance...

But seriously....

This site has some useful first aid info:

http://www.avru.unimelb.edu.au/avruweb/snakebi.htm

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great sites guys!!!

Just been looking at them, now I`m :scared: :scared:

How long ago was your snake bit ABC? what did you do to p##s the snake off?

I done this last time we came to Oz, freak myself out :scared: but its not that bad once your there.
Its my kids that I do worry about, does anyone know of any family courses (Brisbane area)that you can go on? just so my kids/us know how to deal with and look out for things in the correct way. If I was to read all that to my kids they would not be happy.

Thanks for info

Sue
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:23 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by elksa
Your meant to die, are'nt you.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sue2
How long ago was your snake bit ABC? what did you do to p##s the snake off?
Many years ago !! And it was in Cornwall, and I had been handling it, and it was a big one !!!!! Well, I was only 11 years old at the time, and didn't know any better. I do remember the local who took care of it saying it was the biggest he had ever seen.

One you get to Australia, you learn to go in the opposite direction to snakes
And that really does help to minimise any risk !!

I've lived here for 14 out of the last 18 years now, and haven't had any more incidents with them But then, I don't live out in the bush.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Many years ago !! And it was in Cornwall, and I had been handling it, and it was a big one !!!!! Well, I was only 11 years old at the time, and didn't know any better. I do remember the local who took care of it saying it was the biggest he had ever seen.

One you get to Australia, you learn to go in the opposite direction to snakes
And that really does help to minimise any risk !!

I've lived here for 14 out of the last 18 years now, and haven't had any more incidents with them But then, I don't live out in the bush.

Hi ABC

CORNWALL well what can I say!!

We are looking at your area to live, no way would we live in the bush :scared:

Its ok I`ll calm down once we are out there

All the best

Sue
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:14 pm
aussie73

Most people who get bitten by snakes are Steve Irwin type morons who when they come across a snake , instead of letting it quiety slither away,
pick it up, and to their suprise it bites them. Snakes only attack in self defence, if you leave them alone they will leave you alone.

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
Most people who get bitten by snakes are Steve Irwin type morons who when they come across a snake , instead of letting it quiety slither away,
pick it up, and to their suprise it bites them. Snakes only attack in self defence, if you leave them alone they will leave you alone.
Also if you want to avoid snakes whenever possible, move noisily through the bush or wherever, don't creep about. The snakes sense your footfalls and generally move off.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 11:42 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Don't wash the area of the snake bite before applying the tight bandage as the hospital will take a swab to identify the venom, in case you are not sure of the species of snake that bit you.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:05 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Also if you want to avoid snakes whenever possible, move noisily through the bush or wherever, don't creep about. The snakes sense your footfalls and generally move off.
Except the Death Adders.
They don't tend to move out of peoples way. They lie beneath leaf litter and such motionless. You can basically be right on top of one without you knowing it, and they won't move out of your way.. it's basically why they are so dangerous

They are responsible for a lot of the snake bites to bushwalkers who get bitten. They stay motionless and hidden to ambush hunt small animals, and don't move when they feel anything coming near them.. as that is how they hunt - They are ambushers .Bites normally occur when you step on one that is under the leaf litter.

Apparently it's original name was "deaf adder" . This was before the time of people knowing that snakes were all deaf. It was named this way because people thought it must be the only snake that was deaf because they would remain motionless and not get out of peoples way. The deaf then changed to Death along the way.

cheers
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:19 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Except the Death Adders.
They don't tend to move out of peoples way. They lie beneath leaf litter and such motionless. You can basically be right on top of one without you knowing it, and they won't move out of your way.. it's basically why they are so dangerous

They are responsible for a lot of the snake bites to bushwalkers who get bitten. They stay motionless and hidden to ambush hunt small animals, and don't move when they feel anything coming near them.. as that is how they hunt - They are ambushers .Bites normally occur when you step on one that is under the leaf litter.

Apparently it's original name was "deaf adder" . This was before the time of people knowing that snakes were all deaf. It was named this way because people thought it must be the only snake that was deaf because they would remain motionless and not get out of peoples way. The deaf then changed to Death along the way.

cheers
Well named then!

They don't only resemble African Adders and Vipers in appearance then! A lot of the African Viperids are cryptically camouflaged and hunt in a similar way. They then get trodden on by bare-footed Africans who promptly get bitten. Still, it works for most snakes......

Most Death Adder bites were fatal until the development of antivenom. At least the bites are treatable now. Still.....they're not found in Victoria where I'm in all likelihood going!
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:40 am

gedge has disabled reputation

A tour guide in Kakadu once gave us his advice on snake bites - "go home, put your feet up and relax". His theory was that they don't do anything at the hospital anyway. As long as you are relaxed, your blood is not pumping toxins round really quickly and your body will deal with it.

Mad. This was the same guide who walked around all day bare foot, wearing the same shorts (and only shorts) for 2 days, and had us swimming at Jim Jim falls before telling us about the freshies we were sharing it with!

He would be driving along and come to an abrupt halt, jump out and pick up a snake he'd spotted, al la Steve Irwin. Why oh why did we pay this man?

Got to admit the bit about staying calm sounds good, but in reality...? aaaarrrrggghh!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JulesandChris; Nov 8th 2004 at 12:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.