Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens after PR is granted ?

What happens after PR is granted ?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:33 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default What happens after PR is granted ?

I never really got an answer to that question, what happens after the permanent resident visa is granted ? Is it valid for life ? 5 years ? Whats the go ? Thanks guys, you´ve been really helpful over the last 2 years...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:42 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens after PR is granted ?

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
I never really got an answer to that question, what happens after the permanent resident visa is granted ? Is it valid for life ? 5 years ? Whats the go ? Thanks guys, you´ve been really helpful over the last 2 years...
Essentially it's valid for life - it is a permanent residency visa after all. However, you only get a limited time to activate it (usually 6 or 12 months). If you don't activate it in that time then it can become invalid. The 5 years you refer to is that the visa sticker in your passport will entitle you move freely in and out of Australia until that expiry date - 5 years after the visa is granted. After that time, although the residency component of the visa may be still valid, you will need another visa (Resident Return Visa - RRV) to re-enter Australia.

There are quite a few variables to consider too. One example is that if you haven't spent much of those first five years in Australia, you may not be eligible for a Resident Return Visa.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
You have permanent resident status and need do no more for life if you don't leave Aus again. You can come and go on your PR visa for 5 years, after that you need to look at the requirements for citizenship or for a Residents Return Visa if you wish to travel outside Australia.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:45 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

ok, cool....thanks guys, I would like to apply for citizenship asap anyway...
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Only two years residency needed still.

I don't get why people don't. You live in the country but can have joint nationality with UK so everything is cool.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Does any one know if there is any limit to the number of citizenships someone can hold, provided each country is ok with each of the other countries?
Eg could someone hold US & GB & Oz citizenship and have all three passports?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Why not?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Does any one know if there is any limit to the number of citizenships someone can hold, provided each country is ok with each of the other countries?
Eg could someone hold US & GB & Oz citizenship and have all three passports?

No limit.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:38 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here's a question - no jibes or heckling from the back please.
What's the point of citizenship?? Are there any benefits to it and do I have to part with hard cash to get it once I've done my time as a PR??

*pearly*
Old Jan 7th 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

Good questions pearly!! You must be reading my mind!
Bexie
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
What's the point of citizenship?? Are there any benefits to it and do I have to part with hard cash to get it once I've done my time as a PR??

*pearly*
PERSONALLY Id be delighted and honoured to be an Aussie citizen...and if the need arose would gladly give up the UK one...when you go to a Country I think you should do everything possible to show your commitment to that Country! So if Mr Case Officer is watching ...ppppplease get a move on!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's been discussed many times before. Download and read form 1027i if you want to see the privileges of Australian citizenship - you'll need to know them anyway if you apply for citizenship.

There are lots of sad stories where people live in Australia for many years as PRs then blindly leave without citizenship - and can't come back after a few years. Other tales of young adults getting into a little trouble with the law and being deported. Plus the fact you can't vote etc as a PR.

As for the "hard cash" - it costs AUD120 to apply for citizenship. If you choose not to become a citizen you will pay AUD120 every five years for a Resident Return Visa. So do the maths.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 8:05 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's been discussed many times before. Download and read form 1027i if you want to see the privileges of Australian citizenship - you'll need to know them anyway if you apply for citizenship.

There are lots of sad stories where people live in Australia for many years as PRs then blindly leave without citizenship - and can't come back after a few years. Other tales of young adults getting into a little trouble with the law and being deported. Plus the fact you can't vote etc as a PR.

As for the "hard cash" - it costs AUD120 to apply for citizenship. If you choose not to become a citizen you will pay AUD120 every five years for a Resident Return Visa. So do the maths.

It's ok, I wasn't slating citizenship at all, infact I know nothing whatsoever about it. I haven't looked that far ahead. The $120 is nothing.

Cheers,
*pearly*
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:21 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Citizenship there is a lot cheaper than it is for NZ, it makes sense to apply for it rather than going through the hassle and expense of RRV's.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:51 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

*pearly*
One plus of being a citizen v. PR is when going to college. As a PR, my daughter will have to pay full fees up front; as a citizen, she is able to get the HECS grant (whatever). Something like that. Sure I am right and it is my main motivator to get citizenship ASAP for her.

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.