Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a great day....

What a great day....

Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a great day....

Wanted to post a thread about our idyllic day - partly to annoy those of you stuck in grey old Britain and partly just to sing Perth's praises because I do give the old place a bashing every now and again.

We spent the afternoon in Fremantle. I took the kids to a few shops and then we went to the beach near McDonalds. It was completely deserted and the sea was magnificent shades of turquoise. Anyhow I sat down to read the paper (more dodgy dealings in the WA govt but that's for another thread) and sent the kids paddling.

Eventually my eldest shouts "Daddy, a dolphin!!!" and sure enough, a pod of dolphins has arrived about 20 metres off shore.

We wade in the sea - kids knickers and shorts wet - and paddle out in the softest sand beneath the clearest sea you can imagine. And we spent maybe an hour in the sea in waste high water watching the dolphins chucking crabs or fish or whatever in the air, rising up, diving down. I can honestly say it was magical and my kids were just full of it "That's the best day ever...!"
Lots of people arrived and I was quite envious of the childless ones who swam out and had the dolphins swimming around them.

I took loads of photos and a bit of video on my mobile but I can't get the bloody thing to upload onto the computer (and I think that the image quality will be poor anyhow).

After that we waddled back with wet clothes to Baskin Robbins for an ice cream (by this time the temperature is hitting 33 and set to rise to 35) and then collected my wife who was doing a few hours at work.

Then we drove into Perth, visited Borders (great bookshop) for a couple of hours, bought a few tomes and then had a great value Japanese meal at Taka ($35 for the four of us - I was so full that I had to leave my fresh tuna sushi!) before driving back via the best bottle shop in Perth to stock up on my favourite ale and then a final drive along the coast road home.

Honestly, it just does not get any better than this.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What a great day....

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Wanted to post a thread about our idyllic day - partly to annoy those of you stuck in grey old Britain and partly just to sing Perth's praises because I do give the old place a bashing every now and again.

We spent the afternoon in Fremantle. I took the kids to a few shops and then we went to the beach near McDonalds. It was completely deserted and the sea was magnificent shades of turquoise. Anyhow I sat down to read the paper (more dodgy dealings in the WA govt but that's for another thread) and sent the kids paddling.

Eventually my eldest shouts "Daddy, a dolphin!!!" and sure enough, a pod of dolphins has arrived about 20 metres off shore.

We wade in the sea - kids knickers and shorts wet - and paddle out in the softest sand beneath the clearest sea you can imagine. And we spent maybe an hour in the sea in waste high water watching the dolphins chucking crabs or fish or whatever in the air, rising up, diving down. I can honestly say it was magical and my kids were just full of it "That's the best day ever...!"
Lots of people arrived and I was quite envious of the childless ones who swam out and had the dolphins swimming around them.

I took loads of photos and a bit of video on my mobile but I can't get the bloody thing to upload onto the computer (and I think that the image quality will be poor anyhow).

After that we waddled back with wet clothes to Baskin Robbins for an ice cream (by this time the temperature is hitting 33 and set to rise to 35) and then collected my wife who was doing a few hours at work.

Then we drove into Perth, visited Borders (great bookshop) for a couple of hours, bought a few tomes and then had a great value Japanese meal at Taka ($35 for the four of us - I was so full that I had to leave my fresh tuna sushi!) before driving back via the best bottle shop in Perth to stock up on my favourite ale and then a final drive along the coast road home.

Thats sounds fantastic, I am so envious as Dolphins are my favorite animal I just hope that we get to see the same in Brisbane.
As for the weather, well it is raining, again! I am sat looking through the conservatory window at a dull and grey sky again!
The last time we saw the sea was at half term when we spent a few days at Bridlington and it was not turquoise, but a kind of black grey colour so again, something else to look forward to. Glad to hear that you have a nice day I will go and try enjoy mine now, stuck in the house doing the cleaning and ironing!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic day that sounds ! my daughter would love to swim with dolphins, we havent seen any since we have been in Perth so far. Also the Japanese meal sounds lovely! will make a point of going there one day in the near future.

Nicky
Old Feb 24th 2007, 1:22 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Wanted to post a thread about our idyllic day

Wasn't the sun set amazing tonight?
We were swimming in the sea and BBQing just south of Hillarys, stayed on the beach untill 10.00pm..... way past bed time for our little one.

Such a great day.

Neil.

Last edited by h2oskineil; Feb 24th 2007 at 2:49 pm.