Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a good daily rate for an IT PM contracting in Sydney?

Originally Posted by phat-dave
knows our circumstances, knows the employment market, knows all about IT
I don't know your circumstances but I do know the IT employment market, far better than you ever could.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I don't know your circumstances but I do know the IT employment market, far better than you ever could.
Oh I know, I know, I know. You think you know, like all agents. Thankfully I avoid them at all costs - parasites.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

no you do Dean, you know my circumstances, that's how you made your previous comments about my departure from recruitment. please don't back track now, it's unbecoming of a highly resourceful and suitably qualified recruitment partner such as yourself.

as for the it employment market, well I certainly hope you know more than me as I don't even work nor care for the industry.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnye
Oh I know, I know, I know. You think you know, like all agents.
As opposed to a person who works for one company and knows entire employment market...

Thankfully I avoid them at all costs - parasites.
Good on you and keep that in mind the next time you're looking for a job or the next time you need to hire someone with an in demand skill set.

You can say what you want about agents, I don't care because I get people such as yourself to do the work for me while I take a slice off the top. I'm laughing all the way to the bank...

So, call me a parasite, a pimp or whatever, I buy and sell people like you, literally.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

As opposed to a person who works for one company and knows entire employment market...

Good on you and keep that in mind the next time you're looking for a job or the next time you need to hire someone with an in demand skill set.

You can say what you want about agents, I don't care because I get people such as yourself to do the work for me while I take a slice off the top. I'm laughing all the way to the bank...

So, call me a parasite, a pimp or whatever, I buy and sell people like you, literally.
No further comments from me on this thread it's becoming ridiculous and a waste of time and energy.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

no you do Dean, you know my circumstances, that's how you made your previous comments about my departure from recruitment.
Why would any person that can earn $300K - $500K + as a good recruiter take a job earning 1/5 of that, where they would also have to work twice the amount of hours?

That is the definition of stupidity.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

not really mate, I worked in North America where unemployment is high and job orders are few and far between. yes you can earn that sort of money and I earnt a third of that in a tough environment but the reality was, I was on a career break and with role sitting at home with less hours, more money, greater perks and something i actually enjoyed... it's a no brainer?

I worked with many who earnt $500k+ ... but their average is around $150k and they worked 65-70 hours+ a week on marketing and desk... stuff that. not everyone enjoys cold calling chumps looking for new hiring managers, job orders and interviewing $80k candidates thinking theyre worth $160k.

you can earn all the money in the world mate but if you dislike the job, it doesnt matter how much youre earning. you clearly enjoy it, you even like calling yourself a pimp ... good for you, enjoy your money.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnnye
No further comments from me on this thread it's becoming ridiculous and a waste of time and energy.
You're not wrong there. Become very childish. Good to see I am not the only one like this out there
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Why would any person that can earn $300K - $500K + as a good recruiter take a job earning 1/5 of that, where they would also have to work twice the amount of hours?

That is the definition of stupidity.
Wow is that how much you guys earn? Makes the $1000 a day look like chicken feed.

Agree with Phatso's comments though - you wouldn't win any popularity contests. But for that much dosh....hhmmmmm ;-)
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

not really mate, I worked in North America where unemployment is high and job orders are few and far between. yes you can earn that sort of money and I earnt a third of that in a tough environment but the reality was, I was on a career break and with role sitting at home with less hours, more money, greater perks and something i actually enjoyed... it's a no brainer?
Yes, I know what it can be like in a a tough market and it can be soul destroying stuff. You should try it in a good market.

I worked with many who earnt $500k+ ... but their average is around $150k and they worked 65-70 hours+ a week on marketing and desk...
That's why it is better to be self-employed.

not everyone enjoys cold calling chumps looking for new hiring managers, job orders and interviewing $80k candidates thinking theyre worth $160k.
You said that, not me.

you can earn all the money in the world mate but if you dislike the job, it doesnt matter how much youre earning. you clearly enjoy it, you even like calling yourself a pimp ... good for you, enjoy your money.
I didn't say I liked calling myself a pimp but it is a name regularly used to describe recruiters. Ironically it is true.

All jobs become tedious after a while. Work is a means to an end so may as well earn as much as possible with the time that you have.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by itxrd
Wow is that how much you guys earn? Makes the $1000 a day look like chicken feed.

Agree with Phatso's comments though - you wouldn't win any popularity contests. But for that much dosh....hhmmmmm ;-)
I didn't say I earned that amount of money.

But good recruiters can and do earn in excess of it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itxrd

it's not easy though.. i worked for a big name public listed agency and they had strict activity mandates and hurdles each month - ship up or ship out mentality... it was easier i believe than say working for yourself because it was an established brand but the pay off as Dean mentioned is much greater if you were self employed.

125/12/8 - 125 telephone connects (cold calls) and 12 physical visits to clients each week plus 8 candidate interviews and bring in billings of $26000/month....

i was meant to be placing accounting and finance professionals focusing on cad$65k to cad$150k - basically senior accountant up to c-level but the reality was the market was that shit, there just werent those level of placements.

i ended up being the accounts payables/receivables guru placing folks into $40k jobs where we'd usually command 25-30% placement fee and do it for 10-12% or flat rate ... so I'd have to try and find minimum 6-8 permanent roles to make that $26,000 monthly billing requirement - i did it and got rewarded well for it... but i didnt enjoy it - i was on a holiday visa so i ended up drinking the money away anyway

folks think recruiters are ruthless but the truth is, if they dont filter out the shit... theyre going to be on the cutting block themselves. in recruitment, company's dont typically come running to the recruiter, it's the other way around... so if the candidate is only mediocre he's not going to put you to the client when he's potentially been working on that company for 6 months to even get an opportunity to represent them.

it takes time to build relationships, shit i didnt get a job order for 60 days and it was dumb luck that it came my way... client thought i was someone else so i took it, filled it and then my confidence was up and then the orders starting slowly coming in.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future

Hi Guys, OP here....just checked in on the thread and amazed it's got to 7 pages!! Just had a ball reading the comments

Thanks for the advice re: IT contracting rates. Today is the day I get a verbal offer so I'll see what they say. Bottom line is:

- It's from my current employer, albeit a different region
- I have 2 year's PM experience, 10 year's in IT and IT degree
- I have PR visa
- I lived and worked in IT in Sydney before for 1 year
- Thy indicated verbally 3-4 month contract to perm, and not prepared to pay $500 a day

They're suggesting I'll need a ABN and I read I need a mailing address for that. Luckily someone's suggested that I can get one from somewhere called MBE.

Heard that it's 36c in Sydney today...going to be shocking as its freezing in SW England (where I'm staying) this morning. Flying out on Thurs
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moores2525
Hi Guys, OP here....just checked in on the thread and amazed it's got to 7 pages!! Just had a ball reading the comments

Thanks for the advice re: IT contracting rates. Today is the day I get a verbal offer so I'll see what they say. Bottom line is:

- It's from my current employer, albeit a different region
- I have 2 year's PM experience, 10 year's in IT and IT degree
- I have PR visa
- I lived and worked in IT in Sydney before for 1 year
- Thy indicated verbally 3-4 month contract to perm, and not prepared to pay $500 a day

They're suggesting I'll need a ABN and I read I need a mailing address for that. Luckily someone's suggested that I can get one from somewhere called MBE.

Heard that it's 36c in Sydney today...going to be shocking as its freezing in SW England (where I'm staying) this morning. Flying out on Thurs
these guys will know better. i am thinking the only reason the rate is so low is because you only have 2 yrs PM experience and its a pm role. Other than that the rate is low
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Given you have PR you could always take it and be applying for something better paid in the meantime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.