Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

FutureOz2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

Yes, I know they speak English or some form of it , but would knowledge of a foreign language be of any use?

I'm going to take a stab at Chinese being of most use because of business/trade connections between the two countries?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What foreign language would be most useful in Australia?

Huge numbers of Chinese tourists projected in the future: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_12667111.htm, http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2011/s3244852.htm.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

FutureOz2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a thought, but does knowledge of foreign languages result in more points when applying?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:21 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016
Yes, I know they speak English or some form of it , but would knowledge of a foreign language be of any use?

I'm going to take a stab at Chinese being of most use because of business/trade connections between the two countries?
australian -- been here five years and it still baffles me

for example

if your glass is cactus call asapglass -- wtf does it mean ?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 8:30 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

The Chinese will be the only ones rich enough to visit in the future.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to learn chinnese make sure it's Mandarine then, but I speak a different language but never had to use it, as everybody speaks English but different English.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
The Chinese will be the only ones rich enough to visit in the future.

I reckon Korean may help as well.... for the Mid to long distant future. 20 years away.. They have to unify, and they will probably start looking Eastwards rather rather than the US when they do. Aus will be the Vegie Garden, Bread Basket, Play Ground and Fuel zone.

I guess though that the other 3 Major Asian players besides China speak enough English already as it not being worth learning their languages. Those being India, Japan and Korea.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 9:59 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I reckon Korean may help as well.... for the Mid to long distant future. 20 years away.. They have to unify, and they will probably start looking Eastwards rather rather than the US when they do. Aus will be the Vegie Garden, Bread Basket, Play Ground and Fuel zone.

I guess though that the other 3 Major Asian players besides China speak enough English already as it not being worth learning their languages. Those being India, Japan and Korea.
Aus could also be the middle man. A safe place outside of historical enmity.

I suspect English will become the lingua franca of Asia as well as Europe.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:05 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
If you are going to learn chinnese make sure it's Mandarine then, ...
Only if you want your conversation to be a bit fruity.

(sorry - I'll get my coat)
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I suspect English will become the lingua franca of Asia as well as Europe.
I agree.
English is entrenched enough to continue being the business language of choice and it's surprising how many Chinese already speak English in business.

Chinese would be the language to learn above all others though.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Chinese would be the language to learn above all others though.
Must be really easy to learn as well. I mean, 1.3 Billion Chinese speak it, so it can't be that hard.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I would also recomend Chinese.
I find it quite useful here.

Originally Posted by FutureOz2016
Just a thought, but does knowledge of foreign languages result in more points when applying?
Yes, if you have completed degree level education in "community language" you get 5 extra points.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 1:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
australian -- been here five years and it still baffles me

for example

if your glass is cactus call asapglass -- wtf does it mean ?
I love that ad. Sadly we find ourselves singing it at random moments.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could speak Mandarin, then I could communicate with the tiler our builder is using. He speaks not a word of English, nor reads it. We have to mime to communicate, and if that fails, the builder or I ring up his supervisor who speaks a bit of English. I have wondered what type of visa he's on - do 457 visa applicants have to speak English?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I wish I could speak Mandarin, then I could communicate with the tiler our builder is using.
It only takes 4-5 years of living in China.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.