Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What foods do you miss from home?

What foods do you miss from home?

Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Dominos pizzas are everywhere in Perth area.

Mayonnaise, dreadful stuff, but don't use it anymore.

Tend to do the same as the Ozzies and have sour cream and sweet chilli sauce with almost everything.......mmmmm yum!

You can get marmite and Bisto here. Definately in Coles supermarkets.

I did have a craving for English biscuits a couple of months back and couldn't believe my eyes when I came across a section of stuff from the uk in Coles. Grabbed a packet of Digestive biscuits, got home made a coffeee, and dunked loads....Heavenly!!!!

whisky
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What foods do you miss from home?

Originally posted by walla1
Hi

Don't want to spoil the party but I think the import of foodstuffs is a no no, I'm sure customs won't let you take anything in. So you will have to find creature comforts in Oz.

What will I miss thou? Dominos Pizza (can someone please tell me that Dominos are in Perth?)

That's about it. My cousin did inform me last year that the Ex Pats in Perth were overjoyed when they discovered Aunt Bessie was importing frozen Yorkshire puds from the UK!!

Walla
Actually you can bring in most pre-packaged food as long as you declare it. It's fresh food like fruit, vegetables, meat products (like salami/pate) that are not allowed.

Never had any problems whatever bringing sealed packages of food items from the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the link to Quaratine info.

Quaratine

If I've read this correctly I should be OK, I just need to declare
the marmite and bisto, but if you are intending to take in
or get relatives to bring any food stuffs make sure you check its
OK as someone was fined $15,000 for bringing in 2 apples!!!!

There is also info on this customs web site about what you
can bring in:

Customs

You need to go to the sections called travellers, and then into the quaratine reference guide for the bit about food.

Hope this helps

Karen
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:30 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whisky
Dominos pizzas are everywhere in Perth area.

Mayonnaise, dreadful stuff, but don't use it anymore.

Tend to do the same as the Ozzies and have sour cream and sweet chilli sauce with almost everything.......mmmmm yum!

You can get marmite and Bisto here. Definately in Coles supermarkets.

I did have a craving for English biscuits a couple of months back and couldn't believe my eyes when I came across a section of stuff from the uk in Coles. Grabbed a packet of Digestive biscuits, got home made a coffeee, and dunked loads....Heavenly!!!!

whisky
Yipee

I won't miss Gateshead now then food wise!!

Walla
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:33 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc
Actually you can bring in most pre-packaged food as long as you declare it. It's fresh food like fruit, vegetables, meat products (like salami/pate) that are not allowed.

Never had any problems whatever bringing sealed packages of food items from the UK.
That's good then

I to will pack the Bisto gravy and marmite

Migrating sounds better by the minute, I've also just discovered Dominos are in Perth, good start to my weekend

Walla
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: M&S

Originally posted by robertd
Dont know how true it is but I have heard from four different people all saying that there is going to be a Marks and Spencer opening in Melbourne. Once they have opened one store, I am sure many others will follow. Has anyone heard the same as me, regards Louisa
Blimey - even us shareholders haven't been told about that one.

I fear, though, that it's more wishful thinking than anything. Poor old M&S are suffering from having lost the plot lately, & Stuart Rose, the new guy in charge, plans to start with stabilising the business & getting the core UK customer base back. Doesn't look like they'll be having any foreign 'adventures' for a long time, if ever.

All a mistake, I reckon. M&S is renowned for excellent foodstuffs & for good basic clothing items. Their profile worldwide is very high and is a by-word for quality. If I were Stuart Rose, I'd open a chain of M&S supermarkets in the UK, with a 'value' range to take on Tescos with, and get the clothes offering sorted & open 'flagship' stores in high profile cities with large expat populations, such as NYC, Boston, Vancouver, Sydney, Brissie, Cape Town.

FWIW I was in The Pantheon yesterday (M&S flagship UK branch, on Marble Arch, London). Very poor selection of clothing and ignorant, unhelpful staff, too. If you're reading this, Mr Rose, way to go.

Anya.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 9:50 am
Go Cubs!!

Garazy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

I have been here two months.

I really miss Safeway, Tesco and Marks and Spencers.

Woolworths and Coles just do not compare.

Although now I have a good excuse to eat out more.

Gary

My Trip to Australia So Far...
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

I agree about the supermarkets, they are dire!!!

I really miss Asda for fresh food and great choice.
Coles, Woolworths, Bi-lo, Action... I've tried them all and they are all equally poor and very limited!!

But as you say, a good excuse to dine out!!

Joanne
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss

1. Quorn products

2. Decent veggie alternatives

3. Real Cadbury's choc.

4. Schwarzes mixes.... i.e. chilli mix (excuse spelling)

4. Creamy Coleslaw

5. Real Mayonaisse ( it tastes weird here)

booboo
Old Jun 19th 2004, 1:15 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by booboo
3. Real Cadbury's choc.
Well I'm already committed to bringing some decent chocolate out for hevs (no, hevs, not an entire 40-footer!); do you want to add a little something to the order? (I reserve the right to turn my nose up at your choice and say "Ergh, I'm not bringing any of that out!")
Old Jun 19th 2004, 2:39 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by anya4oz
For me, it's that proper freshly-squeezed orange juice, the sort you can buy in the UK in Sainsburys & Waitrose, that doesn't tatse of chemicals or orange peel. I live on this stuff, so tried every type on sale in Melbourne supermarkets but they are all 'fake' & taste *vile*.

I'm gonna be buying a juicer....

Anya.

Anya, try searching the shelves for a box of orange juice that's sky blue in colour & has a picture of an orange on the front... I think it's made by a company called "The Original Juice Co." or something similar. It was the only decent orange juice I could find in Sydney (couldn't get it in Perth)... maybe they'll have it in Melbourne. Definitely much better than the other horrible stuff they call orange juice.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leejo

Coles, Woolworths, Bi-lo, Action... I've tried them all and they are all equally poor and very limited!!

Joanne
Hi Joanne,

It's funny reading your comments on the quality of food at supermarkets in Australia. Many of the Australian I worked with in Glasgow and London had similar comments about freshness of food in UK supermarkets. I've often had to convince them to venture out to the bigger supermarkets outside city centres or farmers' markets on the weekend. They were all much happier once they found the right place.

Depending what sort of things you're looking for - if you are searching for ready-made meals, imported canned food, imported biscuits, imported tea and imported coffee, etc, then I agree the choices are limited, especially outside major cities. However if you are looking for fresh meat, seafood, seasonal fruit and vegetables (things my Australian co-workers often took for granted at home), I think Australia very often offers better choice and prices than the UK?! At least that was my experience in Melbourne.

When we move to Brisbane later this summer, we expect to live and shop as the Australians do, and don't think we'll ever be disappointed with their markets/supermarkets.

As you say, you can always eat out if you can't find the right ingredients to cook with!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 19th 2004, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by saraliz
Anya, try searching the shelves for a box of orange juice that's sky blue in colour & has a picture of an orange on the front... I think it's made by a company called "The Original Juice Co." or something similar. It was the only decent orange juice I could find in Sydney (couldn't get it in Perth)... maybe they'll have it in Melbourne. Definitely much better than the other horrible stuff they call orange juice.
You can find orange or apple juice by the Original Juice Co at Coles and many other supermarkets in Melbourne.

If you're sort of picky but not too picky like me, and would settle for Tropicana - you'll also find that easily. There are quite a few local brands that do similar products, e.g. Australian Fresh. As long as you get the smallest carton and drink it as soon as it is open, it tastes fine.

But if you are really really picky and want fruit juice freshly squeeced in front of you - you'll find then in smoothie/fruit juice stands in shopping malls (Melbourne Central, Chadstone, etc), food courts, and my favourite hangout - Prahran Market. Some of them sell juices in large plastic bottles for you to take home.

Speaking of which, gonna have my pint of Tropicana now...

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by soapy
aye but u need to wait 4 hours to get served
No you don't!!!!

The queues at Greggs always look massive, but it literally takes 3 minutes to get served , they are sooooo efficient. And the new format stores are even better.

And they're worth waiting for,

Cheers,
JTL

ohhh umm I'm a shareholder in Greggs, but my opinion is completely unbiased.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 19th 2004 at 6:59 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 6:55 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by leejo

Joanne

It 'asda be Asda!

This might help some of those cravings though

http://www.britstore.co.uk/catalog.htm

Last edited by mlbonner; Jun 20th 2004 at 1:33 pm.