Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you do?

What is the first thing you do?

Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:22 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is the first thing you do?

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Wait an hour for 3 suitcases, non of which arrive, arrive at serviced apartments to find they're over priced crap, go to bottle-O and buy vast amounts of beer/red wine, try/fail to get food at 10pm at night, go back to crap apartments and drink all of the above mentioned alcohol.
One thing I would have done different was kick the customs officer in the crotch and shout BOMB ensuring I would never be able to return to Perth again.
very good
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

When we eventually get our visas and go, we'll be getting picked up from the airport by the husband uncle hopefully. Well he has offered to pick us up and said we can stay with him for a few weeks while we get settled in and sort everything out.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Don't know what the best thing is, but here is what we did:

We arranged a furnished rental online/by phone before we arrived. However for one night we stayed in a hotel in central Perth.

Then the next morning we trotted off to the bank (Westpac) round the corner to collect cheque book, debit cards, and banker's draft to pay for car.

We then walked to the insurance company's office and paid our premiums for home contents, car, and ambulance insurance.

Then went back to the hotel and had our car delivered there and handed over the banker's draft. We then drove to the estate agent's office and signed the lease for the furnsihed rental and picked up the keys.

The hotel in central Perth was expensive but it was only for one night and it was worth it as it meant we could do all of the above very easily.

Good luck with the move.

Gina

Jeez Louise, hope I'm as organized as that!!! An inspiration to us all!!!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:15 pm
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road

Same as whenever I go long haul: go looking for some edible veggie food and a decent cup of coffee....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SW3105
So you've just been on a long flight and landed in Australia. You're tired, jet lagged and just want to relax, so you have all your suitcases, hand luggage, baby on your hip. You're standing outside the airport and ....

What happens next?
If a smoker, you lite up as ciggie!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Thanks for all the more sensible answers!

I think the idea of a hotel is probably the best one whilst having a rental home arranged before we go. We were looking at saving enough to put 3-6 months rent + bond down on a house so as to secure one.

At the moment, we're looking at southern suburbs of Perth - Armadale seems to be an area which we keep coming back to - no idea why, but we always come back to it in our research.

A hire car sounds like a good idea too ...

Definitely some food for thought - thank you x x
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:12 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Go to furnished accom with hubby and think about how I can finally take up/do that photography course/uni degree/dancing lessons/saxophone lessons/motorbike license/kickboxing that I have been putting off just waiting for me to get 'home'.

Log on to BE - surf until I pass out.