Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is expected on packing/shipping day

What is expected on packing/shipping day

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Question What is expected on packing/shipping day

What do the packers expect from us?

Do we have to provide drinks and lunch? If so what is the norm?
Do we have to tip them? If so what is the norm?

Last edited by Luma; Jun 3rd 2006 at 9:30 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is expected on packing/shipping day

Originally Posted by Luma
What to the packers expect from us?

We provided tea and coffee and penguin biscuits Not lunch. And you may find that they don't stop for lunch anyway as it's not nice to hoick things around on a full stomach.

Didn't tip them

Other things - unplug all electrical items and disconnect all cables on things like PCs and stereos. Dismantle flat-pack where possible
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TillyG
We provided tea and coffee and penguin biscuits Not lunch. And you may find that they don't stop for lunch anyway as it's not nice to hoick things around on a full stomach.

Didn't tip them

Other things - unplug all electrical items and disconnect all cables on things like PCs and stereos. Dismantle flat-pack where possible

Do you take mirrors/pictures down off walls? Do you roll up rugs? Do they take all the stuff out of cupboards?
I never used a removal firm before am really clueless!!
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pioneer
Do you take mirrors/pictures down off walls? Do you roll up rugs? Do they take all the stuff out of cupboards?
I never used a removal firm before am really clueless!!
Sharon
Nope they took everything down and emptied the cupboards.

You do have to empty the loft, though, if there's stuff in there as they're not able to go up there.

I sat there like a lemon most of the time -was quite nice really LOL
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice

Originally Posted by TillyG
Nope they took everything down and emptied the cupboards.

You do have to empty the loft, though, if there's stuff in there as they're not able to go up there.

I sat there like a lemon most of the time -was quite nice really LOL
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:42 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice
One bit of advice, you will find this VERY useful once you get to Oz.....

MARK THE BOXES YOURSELF VERY CLEARLY AND MAKE SURE THE INVENTORY IS VERY CLEAR.......... WE DIDN'T, DUH!

Good luck

Neil.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:52 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

What do the packers expect from us?

Me again....

They will expect (ours did) all the pedals removed from cycles and the handle bars turned 90 degrees for ease of packing.
Petrol drained out of the lawn mower.
Everything to be clean, BBQ, Cycle tyres, garden tools, lawn mower (needs to be spotless, not a blade of grass).
They may expect (depending on you arrangement) to have all furniture that can be dis assembled to be dis assembled, to make it lighter and easy to pack. You can use all the internal drawers etc to put bed linen or clothes.
Beds may need to be taken apart etc etc
If it's raining and wet, put old sheets onto the floors.
Our container arrived 5 hours late, not the fault of the packers, but the haulage company.
Someone told me to get inside the containers and make sure it's 100% air tight..... we never, but you might want to?
Oh....... and copious amounts of tea for the packers.

Good luck (again)
Neil.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Neil

Great tips!

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Me again....

They will expect (ours did) all the pedals removed from cycles and the handle bars turned 90 degrees for ease of packing.
Petrol drained out of the lawn mower.
Everything to be clean, BBQ, Cycle tyres, garden tools, lawn mower (needs to be spotless, not a blade of grass).
They may expect (depending on you arrangement) to have all furniture that can be dis assembled to be dis assembled, to make it lighter and easy to pack. You can use all the internal drawers etc to put bed linen or clothes.
Beds may need to be taken apart etc etc
If it's raining and wet, put old sheets onto the floors.
Our container arrived 5 hours late, not the fault of the packers, but the haulage company.
Someone told me to get inside the containers and make sure it's 100% air tight..... we never, but you might want to?
Oh....... and copious amounts of tea for the packers.

Good luck (again)
Neil.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Thanks Neil

Great tips!

My house is totally upside down. Packers start on 13th June. When do yours come?
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

They're packing on the 12th and loading on the 13th.
We've just done another load to the tip - can't believe how much rubbish we had in the loft!

My house is totally upside down. Packers start on 13th June. When do yours come?
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

peterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant future

They're packing on the 12th and loading on the 13th.
We've just done another load to the tip - can't believe how much rubbish we had in the loft!
know that feeling
we had a house clearance sale today sold lots
and garage is still full
peter
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterinblack
know that feeling
we had a house clearance sale today sold lots
and garage is still full
peter
Trying to clean shoes at the moment, really had enough now. House looks like a bomb has gone off.
My boys are pulling stuff out as I am sorting and packing stuff. Everytime something goes in the get rid pile a little voice says I need that!!
Oh its all good fun.
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I haven't decided how & when I'm going to clean everything yet.
I seems like such a mission.

Good luck

Trying to clean shoes at the moment, really had enough now. House looks like a bomb has gone off.
My boys are pulling stuff out as I am sorting and packing stuff. Everytime something goes in the get rid pile a little voice says I need that!!
Oh its all good fun.
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I haven't decided how & when I'm going to clean everything yet.
I seems like such a mission.

Good luck
My chant at the moment is we're gonna run out of time!!
Sharon
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved from Germany to Newcastle our packers were so good that i nipped to Mc'd's when they finished and hubby bought them a bottle of asbac brandy. I just wished the same guys who packed were the ones at Newcastle , as they were a lazy bunch of oinks. My hubby and i did more moving than they did.
Hope all goes well for those of you in the middle of packing.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.