Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by RichS
Xams dinner in the Dutch club on Adam Road was my particualr favourite.
We used to go to JB the week before to load up with hookey dvds to give as presents to the rels back home.

Sorry I've come over all singaporean again. I nearly did it on the front loader/top loader thread ... surely you'd just get your maid to do it for you?
where did you live in Sing? I do not want to know your street address..I used to live West coast way. near to clementi .. not actually clementi itself.

Not a club person myself .. too many snooty expats, argh nothing worse.

Went to the British club once to see what it was like, to see if it was worth joining up (as a guest of a friend).. argghhh :scared: .

christmas in Sing ... we used to either have a barbeque with a load of us( When I mean a load of "us" us is not us in only british white expats) .. then in the night we would pile into top ten, or 392 (LOL... brill resident band in there) ... after that we go to seafood 88 ...about 4 am in the morning ..

One year we rented out a room for the night in one of the pubs in Holland village .. karaoke..lol ...I'm not into this stuff, but we didn't half have a laugh..it was terrible!!!

You don't need to go up to johor to get fake cd's (there was a stall in clementi that used to sell them.. and also sim lim towers)

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 11th 2003 at 3:14 am.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

We lived on Farrer Road opposite the wet market (about 20 minute stroll and sweat to Holland Village).
We too visited the British Club. Hated it. I thought it was chock full of the very worse type of expat, but each to his own I guess.

The Dutch club was near our place and had the advantage of being cheap and full of 'normal' people.

Places we used to frequent include - Colbar on sunday afternoons, No5, Walla Walla, and any number of dubious places on saturday nights to watch the footie
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
We lived on Farrer Road opposite the wet market (about 20 minute stroll and sweat to Holland Village).
We too visited the British Club. Hated it. I thought it was chock full of the very worse type of expat, but each to his own I guess.

The Dutch club was near our place and had the advantage of being cheap and full of 'normal' people.

Places we used to frequent include - Colbar on sunday afternoons, No5, Walla Walla, and any number of dubious places on saturday nights to watch the footie
Out of curiosity, what is the "worse type of expat" in Singapore then?
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Look its an entirely personal point of view, but I found there was an element that seemed to still believe that they were running the British Empire.
Their treatment and attitude toward the local populace and indeed others as well, left a lot to be desired, again, in my opinion.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
This is very weird - I nearly posted the exact same question today! (I saw the thread on advent calendars and thought "Christmas? Already?")

Sunny Liverpool, UK for me Had 2 Christmases in Oz so time to see the in-laws (Oh gosh, what is the plural of 'Christmas'?)

So, although Liverpool probably doesn't inspire you, how about camping/fishing on the Murray river in Victoria? How old are the little dagboys?

I have gone to Liverpool for the last two Xmas's had a blast... the Empire has great pantomime's...Xmas drinks after in cosy pub....
The Art Gallery is one of the best in the world. The Cathederal is awsome at xmas...........there is soooo much to do it is a beautiful city for a vacation .........
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

I have to ask....where did you get those pics from!!!! They are well cool!

Originally posted by Pollyana
when I was a kid I was told Christmas in Australia would look like this...... (rose tinted specs at the ready .....
Old Nov 11th 2003, 4:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid I had a magazine/comic called Teddy Bear Weekly. One Christmas Annual had a double page pic of Christmas in the UK (very stereotyped, roaring fire, granny in shawl, little boy with toy car, paper lanterns, etc!), then a double page pic of Australia. That picture has ALWAYS stayed in my mind, so clearly, though the book got lost years ago (think my brother destroyed it), and its my first memory of knowing Australia existed.
I've always wanted to find it again, and just before I left the UK I tracked it down on ebay - Teddy Bear Annual 1969. Cost me £5!!!
My mate managed to scan the Oz picture the morning I left England, and I've finally got round to posting it......