Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
I always find Christmas in Australia to be a bit of a let down.

For the few weeks before Christmas the shops are packed and the people in a bad mood. At Christmas most people leave Sydney and go up or down the coast.

For those left in Sydney the celebrations are not that good.

The best things I have done at Christmas in Australia is to go on an overland camp or go to Tasmania. The novelty of going to the beach on Christmas day quickly wears off.

Other than that I went back to England for Christmas last year. That was great - a visit to Harrods and Oxford Street, nights at the pub, Morris Dancing (not me!) on Boxing Day and a New Years Eve party!

I remember the old days of throwing myself into the fountain at Trafalga Square on New Year's Eve or going to Amsterdam. Nothing like that in Australia - just some fireworks and a half hearted countdown to the new year.

(I know that the fountain in Trafalga Square is blocked off these days).

I find that celerations like Christmas, Haloween, New Year's Eve etc are very half hearted.

This is one time of the year that I really miss home. Usually we end up going to friends barbie .. usual stuff, of eating and drinking, very mundane. This year we were trying to get home for Christmas.. no such luck (too much work on at the moment), so it's another boring, same old - same old Christmas and new year here. Barbeques and more Barbeques
I don't think I'll bother at all this year, I haven't even started buying presents.

I don't think much of the celebrations here either. Last year there was a firework display in "Deadcliffe" (which I didn't go to, thank gawd) but apparently they had to wait ages between the fireworks going off.. then come midnight they (the council) actually turned the grass sprinklers on .. everybody was away from there at 10 past midnight. There was a big kick up about it . the night was a flop.

Choice between going to the beach with all the other people sipping wine from plastic glasses.. or going to another barbie yet again... I'll think I'll go and bury my head in the sand until it's all over.

I had actually had more fun in Singapore at Christmas than I do here in Aus, funny really when Aus is mainly a Christian country.

Who knows the way I feel at the moment I can see myself jumping on a plane to the UK at the very last moment ...arrgh I want to go home! I don't think I can stand another Christmas here.. b*gger the company/work.. get me out of here

Oh I long for a British Christmas and everything that goes with it.. even the arguing family members
Old Nov 7th 2003, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I went to pick my son up from his friends house yesterday and they had their Christmas Tree up already!!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri

Oh I long for a British Christmas and everything that goes with it.. even the arguing family members

Luckily for us its full on Pommie christmas including mince pies at 10 paces from the family

I am praying for dark mornings, cold evenings, rain, bustling shops, shop assistants who dont grin at you because they have to, anything dark cold and wet. (Not mad, but you will understand one day )

Happy Christmas, woops its only November.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Renth has got a point. By the time Christmas hits in the UK you've had a gutful of lousy weather and it really is the only shining beacon on the horizon, followed by another 2 months of horrible weather.
Perhaps thats why we all throw that bit more effort into it all.Of course if Christmas did occur here in July, and it was a TV ratings period, and the weather had been rubbish for a while then we'd probably get a little more from it.

The beach thing really is just a novelty. We're in Sydney this year and will be having people over from the UK. I'm desparately looking for some inspiration.

If anyone has any ideas - they must cater for a mother-in-law and 2 under 5s
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
anything dark cold and wet.
Glass of Coke?

Rich, thats sort of what I thought ...... nahhh ok I'll be honest, I just loved the thought of 5 days on a beach doing nothing but swimming & snorkelling while someone ELSE looked after my kids all day from 9am-9pm. Preferably somewhere that someone else cooked the meals & I didnt have to do any house work.

Bugger, now I am disappointed!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:26 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I went to pick my son up from his friends house yesterday and they had their Christmas Tree up already!!!!!
Nooooo!!!! What did you say!!???
Maybe they had just bought it and wanted to see if it was ok?!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:33 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Our daughter normally gets loads of pressies as they all do. This year her granparents are putting money into my UK bank account and I have to get it out and buy the presents this end. To be honest I can't be bothered and if it wasn't for our daughter I don't think I would even put up a tree (miserable sod!)

It just doesn't seem real that Christmas is going to be hot! It will be nice to go to the beach for a change though and then it's off to hubbys cousins where the raving looney Auntie will be!!!

My best friends gets here onBoxing day so the rest of Christmas will be excellent.

Any ideas on what to do New years Eve? My friends think we have some wonderful idea planned for their New Year in Oz!!! and we don't!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I've heard that Glouster Park do quite a good night with fireworks etc on New Years Eve.

And no the Christmas Tree must have been a zillion years old, it really did look weird.

Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:40 am
home again, home again

I've heard that Glouster Park do quite a good night with fireworks etc on New Years Eve.

And no the Christmas Tree must have been a zillion years old, it really did look weird.

Someone mentioned this to me the other day infact. Its about $60 for a brilliant meal and the children are allowed. This maybe an option then, I know my friend would love that
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:41 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Di, thats just bizarre ... not even the shops have xmas trees & decs up yet, its only the 1st week in Nov FGS
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I KNOW!!!! She said they just felt like putting it up last weekend and wanted to get into the Christmas spirit early this year. are She is from Tasmania so maybe she misses the cold...

Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately up here in maroochydore the shops (Plaza) put them up two weeks ago. I dont like it because it takes out the wonder of it all and turns it into far too long a thing. I mean how exciting is a tree to a kid if its there for almost 3 months. I know its not just here but its damn annoying. People just walk past and go what the hell have they got them up for. I am quite serious they went up in October.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

For the No Christmas option, see France. Being used to an endless range of Christmas cards, the French experience came as a bit of a surprise. This year I'm looking to buy Chrissy wrapping paper to include in the present box going back to Aus and can't find any. Looks like Santa's helpers back in Aus will have to supply that.

No one has mentioned the Orphan's Christmas. There is nearly always a party on Christmas Day (put on by the local council or one of the charity or service organisations) for the homeless, people without families, or just those with no where else to go. If you don't consider yourself a candidate you could always be a volunteer, in the true spirit of Christmas.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by dotty
Unfortunately up here in maroochydore the shops (Plaza) put them up two weeks ago. I dont like it because it takes out the wonder of it all and turns it into far too long a thing. I mean how exciting is a tree to a kid if its there for almost 3 months. I know its not just here but its damn annoying. People just walk past and go what the hell have they got them up for. I am quite serious they went up in October.
I agree dotty, takes some of the magic out of it. I know that some of the shops have started selling decorations etc in the last few weeks down here, but they have only been very small sections of the stores as yet, but to actually put the decorations & tree up is just stupid
Old Nov 7th 2003, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Mrs Dag Boy, while I don't think that anything after Halloween is fair game for Christmas, you have just reminded me of what I shall miss about Christmas time in Australia. For me, Christmas-New Year is a "time", or a season even, not just one day. That's probably because of the weather, end of school, start of long holidays etc. I always thought it a very satisfactory way to end one year and start another.

Taking a walk "around the block" on a summer night, the air full of scented gardens, meals cooking, and trees and lights on display at each house you walk past. Exchanging greetings with the owner who comes out to investigate the inevitable dog's bark, or with people using their hose to water the garden plants. (Where I came from, water restrictions are constantly in force, and can only be carried out after 6pm to reduce loss of water by evaporation). I'm also going to miss the water - either pool or beach.

And probably (hate to say this) even those daggy films that appear each Christmas. And the Edinbrough Tattoo, which is still shown New Year's night? How sad is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.