Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default What is everyone doing for Christmas?

What is everyone doing for Xmas & the holidays? I need some inspiration, had a last minute brilliant idea to go to Fiji for 5 or 6 days after xmas since Dagboy has holidays from Xmas til after New Year, but I cant get a flight for love nor money

Is anyone else doing anything/going anywhere exciting?

Oh Xmas day for us will be spent at my brothers place or my nieces, very upset as since family members have moved, no-one has a pool now & no doubt it will be a scorcher, bugger the baked turkey, try baked Dagboys :scared: .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Nov 6th 2003 at 5:51 am.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is everyone doing for Christmas?

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
What is everyone doing for Xmas & the holidays? I need some inspiration, had a last minute brilliant idea to go to Fiji for 5 or 6 days after xmas since Dagboy has holidays from Xmas til after New Year, but I cant get a flight for love nor money

This is very weird - I nearly posted the exact same question today! (I saw the thread on advent calendars and thought "Christmas? Already?")

Sunny Liverpool, UK for me Had 2 Christmases in Oz so time to see the in-laws (Oh gosh, what is the plural of 'Christmas'?)

So, although Liverpool probably doesn't inspire you, how about camping/fishing on the Murray river in Victoria? How old are the little dagboys?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:13 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
This is very weird - I nearly posted the exact same question today! (I saw the thread on advent calendars and thought "Christmas? Already?")

Sunny Liverpool, UK for me Had 2 Christmases in Oz so time to see the in-laws (Oh gosh, what is the plural of 'Christmas'?)

So, although Liverpool probably doesn't inspire you, how about camping/fishing on the Murray river in Victoria? How old are the little dagboys?
HP, will probably be back to the UK for 3 or 4 weeks sometime early next year anyway, but enjoy sunny Liverpool .

Little dagboys are 5, have only tried camping once, was OK, but not a riproaring success, for me at least, as I ended up frazzled from chasing them around & keeping an eye on them so they didnt drown LOL.

Now a houseboat would be more our style perhaps!

(Christmases? Christmas'? Christmai? I give up LOL)
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Or if you fancy a houseboat with a difference, what about one up at Hinchinbrook Island?

My family hires a country cottage for 16 of us every year, in some remote part of the country so we normally have a snowing xmas day. Will certainly miss that.

This year we will be having xmas with Susans parents, and will hopefully pop down to the beach. Heyyy its still a novelty for me ok? Beach at xmas!!! Wierd!!

Not looking forward to BBQ'ed turkey though. Turkeys dry enough already before the FIL has used his moisture extractor (aka gas bbq) on it....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:33 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid this won't give you much inspiration Mrs Dagboy cause we're in different countries, but in answer to you question:

This I hope is our last Christmas here (unless we visit on holiday). Therefore, I want it to really feel like Christmas (to me).

My mum & dad are going away with one of my brothers and next year they are going to the other one in Utah, they obviously feels guilty telling me 'that we'll have loads of Christmas's together'. I just went along with their game of 'they won't do it' and to be honest the tension is running high, so I'm glad in a way that I won't have to spend christmas day with them.

So to the plans...

Before christmas we're going to London for the day, Hamleys, Harrods, Lights and a show.

Couple of days after christmas Panto.

And at some point, probably later in January we're going to see Cirque Du Soleil, done it in Disney World, best thing I've seen.

I have the 'outlaws' to visit so that will be done over christmas, my mothers in laws fine and their the only ones who we can talk openly about New Zealand with, but we're only allowed to visit my father in law when it suits his partner, which is usually no where near chistmas its self!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:35 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Oh Xmas day for us will be spent at my brothers place or my nieces, very upset as since family members have moved, no-one has a pool now & no doubt it will be a scorcher, bugger the baked turkey, try baked Dagboys :scared: .
This year will be sat in keeping warm in UK, waiting for Santa. Next year will be on the water front in Wynnum having a BBQ... can not wait.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Little dagboys are 5, have only tried camping once, was OK, but not a riproaring success, for me at least, as I ended up frazzled from chasing them around & keeping an eye on them so they didnt drown LOL.
And where was Mr D in all this? Let me guess, cold beer, camping chair, fishing rod.....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Saw my first 8' inflatable Santa sweating his socks off outside a store today. It just looked ridiculous I'm afraid.

Last night we had sparklers in an attempt to "do bonfire night". Sorry, it just didn't do the job as well as huddled round a bonfire, mug of soup in hand going "ooooohhhhh" "aaaaaahhhhhh" every few minutes.

I did have a momentary pang for Uk but it was good to get up to the nice bright sunshine again today

Diane
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Saw my first 8' inflatable Santa sweating his socks off outside a store today. It just looked ridiculous I'm afraid.

Last night we had sparklers in an attempt to "do bonfire night". Sorry, it just didn't do the job as well as huddled round a bonfire, mug of soup in hand going "ooooohhhhh" "aaaaaahhhhhh" every few minutes.

I did have a momentary pang for Uk but it was good to get up to the nice bright sunshine again today

Diane
I missed the Sussex bonfire societies. We used to go to the Fletching parade each year.

Firle sounded dodgy this year though, they burned a caravan full of pikies:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/3228833.stm
:scared:
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh me too Renth, first year since 1982 that I haven't been to Lewes on Bonfire Night - really missed not seeing the societies in their costumes.

As for Christmas - one of the drawbacks of being in Oz is that I shall not only be homesick at Christmas, but I shall have to spend it entertaining the MIL! Suppose every silver lining has a cloud....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
And where was Mr D in all this? Let me guess, cold beer, camping chair, fishing rod.....
LOL, let me see, it looked something like this actually, the Stradbroke Island Field office

surfer ... oh you have just reminded me to check out to see if I can find a pantomime to take the boys to. You've almost made me wish we were going back to the UK for Xmas! Sorry about the probs with your family

Di, if he was inflatable then he wasn't sweating as much as the real ones will be in a months time when they are forced to sit for hours listening to little kids asking for Barbies & Transformers .

Petey, thinking about North Qld, but put off by the thought of stingers in summer.

Nichollsclan, we are off down there right now to have fish & chips for dinner
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:28 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default christmas

Hubby 2 sons and me, flying out to Malaysia on the 9 Dec, staying in Port Dickson for one week then on to beach house in Safety Bay, WA for two weeks. Husbands Aunt and Uncle Joining us from Adelaide for 4 days, then on to Rendevous Hotel, Scarborough, WA for New Year. home on the 7 Jan.
ACE
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:29 am
Goodpubmisser

I always find Christmas in Australia to be a bit of a let down.

For the few weeks before Christmas the shops are packed and the people in a bad mood. At Christmas most people leave Sydney and go up or down the coast.

For those left in Sydney the celebrations are not that good.

The best things I have done at Christmas in Australia is to go on an overland camp or go to Tasmania. The novelty of going to the beach on Christmas day quickly wears off.

Other than that I went back to England for Christmas last year. That was great - a visit to Harrods and Oxford Street, nights at the pub, Morris Dancing (not me!) on Boxing Day and a New Years Eve party!

I remember the old days of throwing myself into the fountain at Trafalga Square on New Year's Eve or going to Amsterdam. Nothing like that in Australia - just some fireworks and a half hearted countdown to the new year.

(I know that the fountain in Trafalga Square is blocked off these days).

I find that celerations like Christmas, Haloween, New Year's Eve etc are very half hearted.

Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:35 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

For the few weeks before Christmas the shops are packed and the people in a bad mood. At Christmas most people leave Sydney and go up or down the coast.

The best things I have done at Christmas in Australia is to go on an overland camp or go to Tasmania. The novelty of going to the beach on Christmas day quickly wears off.

Other than that I went back to England for Christmas last year. That was great - a visit to Harrods and Oxford Street, nights at the pub, Morris Dancing (not me!) on Boxing Day and a New Years Eve party!

I remember the old days of throwing myself into the fountain at Trafalga Square on New Year's Eve or going to Amsterdam. Nothing like that in Australia - just some fireworks and a half hearted countdown to the new year.

I find that celerations like Christmas, Haloween, New Year's Eve etc are very half hearted.
Get yourself to Robe in SA for new years then. Wilder than any new year (apart from the milenium) i have been to in London.....
Old Nov 6th 2003, 7:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

The thing is, in England you endure all that crappy weather because you know, Christmas is there, in the middle, like a shining beacon to look forward to.

Here, the weather is great and the best thing is the time off to do stuff like go out in to the country or to the beach. I reckon the fact that it is Christmas is incidental.

So what if it isn't really celebrated much, people are too busy enjoying themseves in other ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.