Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What emotions are you experiencing running up to leaving ?

Wikiposts

What emotions are you experiencing running up to leaving ?

Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Question What emotions are you experiencing running up to leaving ?

Dear all ready to go and got there's, or anyone,

What are your feeling like? what are people saying to you? are you getting annoyed at the same statements or comments, or happy that you feel like walking on air ?

All I know with just 4 months till we go that people keep saying, "are you excited" to which I reply no, as yet I am not,

We have decided to have a big monster leaving do, with a band and buffet the works, as a kind of last dance. When buying things for this like Ozzy flags for decor or even picking a smart cake to have on night (how organised am I) my emotions are excited/

I am neither excited, happy, sad, daunted, but sometimes I look like a stunned rabbit when I think what we are about to do and when my parents put songs on from when I was little, like my mum sometimes sings Minnie Riperton "Loving you" (something she used to sing to me when I was 2.) I get a jolt into reality.

So how is everyone feeling, deep down ? Are you having leaving parties, are you like me and your family are forcing themselves to the airport ?

Just like to know ?

By the way those who are having a big bash here is a link for some great decorations and stuff for the party !http://www.partypacks.co.uk/
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:41 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What emotions are you experiencing running up to leaving ?

Originally posted by Carrianne

Just like to know ?
Were not having a big leaving do though we are trying to see a lot of people before we go. I'm having a leaving do at work were hopefully a lot of people I used to work with will turn up as well.

Emotions are constantly changing though the main two are "God I wish we were there and getting on with it" and "Christ what the hell are we doing, this old house is so comfortable". Though the emphasis is on the former.

We have our flights booked for the 21st of October but can change that date anytime we like free of charge up until 10th December. Its just nice to have a date to aim for.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

HUP,

we needed a leaving do as my family live all over the country, so a central place and any excuse for a knees up

Each phase I can imagine brings up different emotions, i.e furniture being packed and all your belongings is a stark reality, selling your house, etc.

It's people asking you as well what are comments people make to you ?
Old Sep 27th 2003, 8:52 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

It's people asking you as well what are comments people make to you ?
I have read this sentence several times and I am wondering if I'm still pi**ed from last night .

The main comment I get is;

"You lucky bastard.". But they say this without the benifit of the research we have done and they have the now infamous "rose tinted glasses" view of Oz.

Of course family is a bit different. My dad was quite belligerant about things until fairly recently when he finally realised that it was going to happen. He is now making more of an effort to spend more time with the kids and planning his visit to us. My mum, though I can hear the sadness in her voice is trying to be supportive and she has already saved the money for a trip out next year.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mmm Yes I know what you mean, my Mum get's upset on the phone now, saying I am her best friend in the whole world and she will miss me so much, I do get emotional at that, but they would never stop me from going.

People either save we are really brave, which gets to me, I am not brave, just making a choice. Brave to me is standing on a high ladder (being scared of heights) Brave is facing a fear.

Or people say "Australia" why ? mmm what t say to that so now we just say because we can and want to.

Are you waking in the night yet worrying or exited with the challange I would be the latter as nothing wakes me.

Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:07 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

mmm Yes I know what you mean, my Mum get's upset on the phone now, saying I am her best friend in the whole world and she will miss me so much, I do get emotional at that, but they would never stop me from going.

People either save we are really brave, which gets to me, I am not brave, just making a choice. Brave to me is standing on a high ladder (being scared of heights) Brave is facing a fear.

Or people say "Australia" why ? mmm what t say to that so now we just say because we can and want to.

Are you waking in the night yet worrying or exited with the challange I would be the latter as nothing wakes me.

I think it is very brave. If you look at it you are closing down an entire life that you have spent years (A lifetime even) building up and going to start a new one. I think thats brave.

No I don't wake up in the middle of the night I let Heather do that, she tends to wake up at about 4am and then has trouble going back to sleep.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you think it's brave, mm that's what people said to me when I left home in England to move to Scotland, I left everything, family, good job, friends, lifestyle, big town to move up here and I have to admit I hated it up here when I first came up. It's difficult settling and putting roots it takes a long time and patience, but here I go again after being here just 4 years I am off again

It is I suppose, I just don't see it like that I see it as moving on to where you are meant to be.

Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:26 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

It is I suppose, I just don't see it like that I see it as moving on to where you are meant to be.

I don't think there is a place where we are "meant to be". I think its more a case of finding the place where you will be happiest. I don't yet know if Australia is that place but we are all very much looking forward to it.

Dare I ask have you sold your flat yet? We are in the legal process at the moment and it's playing hell with my finger nails.

Are you bored this morning I can see a lot of threads going up
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes you can ask, I haven't really been forthcoming on here as it isn't a done deal but we accepted an offer last week subject to survey, the survey was carried out on Monday and they have since removed the subject to survey clause and want to move to acceptance with a moving in date of the 28th of November, but as their is work going on our building it isn't that straight forward so it really isn't over till the fat lady sings, so we are possibly going through the same thing as you. I just keep everything crossed as we had a very good offer.

Where are you up to ?

actually I am not bored I am working upstairs in the bedrooms, sorting out all my clothes, move summer wardrobe away and bringing in winter It will take me all day
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I don't worry as such, just think about the consequences of it all now and again.
Like on Friday my Son's friends Mum said to me 'I hear you are moving to Australia- that's a bit drastic isn't it?'
And 'It is a shame when they are all such good friends.'

For a second I thought, yes it is drastic, but it takes all sorts and they are obviously not the adventurous types.

I worry about giving up my stability, but things are all a bit too cushy and easy for us at the moment- I need a new challenge!!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

We complete on the house on the 17th, spend a few days living with my brother and then spend our final weekend with my Dad, before flying out on the 27th.

This weekend has been hard. The house is beginning to really change as some of the furniture we are not taking with us has been sold and collected, leaving big empty spaces. The fish have gone, and our spare room's an absolute junk place where we are trying to sort things. We said bye to hubby's eldest brother on Sat. He has Parkinsons at 52 and is quite bad, so there is no way he could come and visit. Made us question things a bit, but they are really encouraging us to go.

Mostly I feel excited, and know it's the right time to move on for lots of reasons. That move happens to be Australia. When I talk to my cousin who emigrated 13 yrs a go, I feel very excited and confident we are doing the right thing, but sometimes when I look at what we have here, and our friends, It doesn't seem as easy.

People mostly say we are brave, and are very envious, but I think they think we will be sitting on a beach all day! Others say we are mad and others have been hurt by our decision, almost taking it personally.

We are not necessarily going forever.....who knows what will happen. May work out that way, or may be for a few years but I hope it will be good for us whatever we decide to do.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

A direct quote from a card sent by Mum

" If you don't jump, you may never learn to fly"

Our emotions veer from excitement to fear but we're ready to jump.

Marc & Claire
Old Sep 28th 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think it's brave, mm that's what people said to me when I left home in England to move to Scotland, I left everything, family, good job, friends, lifestyle, big town to move up here and I have to admit I hated it up here when I first came up. It's difficult settling and putting roots it takes a long time and patience, but here I go again after being here just 4 years I am off again

I think I'm going to pinch that line if thats okay.

"Its just moving on to where you are meant to be"

Very Deep but Very True
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

"Its just moving on to where you are meant to be"

Not pinching it, but very nice quote and seems rather apt at the moment.

footie chick
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Foggies "if you don't jump you'll never learn how to fly"
I think our emotions are very mixed up at the moment .most people are saying how lucky we are but they wouldn't do it themselves.They just appear to plod on with their humdrum lives
too complacent or frightened to take the chance.We are doing this mostly for our kids future,giving them the oppurtunity to experience a little of what we had as kids We leave on 7/11
and emotions may change slightly between now and then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.