Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What documents should I get together for renting, jobs, tax numbers etc

What documents should I get together for renting, jobs, tax numbers etc

Old Aug 9th 2006, 1:29 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default What documents should I get together for renting, jobs, tax numbers etc

Hello

Well I have finished my job (am a teacher) so I am now sorting everything for our move to oz in 4 weeks time - feels like another job!!

Am trying to put together a folder of everything we might need when we get there but I am a bit unsure of what would be useful for getting a rental. Any ideas? Have heard about people getting ref from building society and letter from estate agents???
With jobs did you print off lots of copies of your CV before you left the UK so you have them ready to fire out (we will be without our pc and printer for 10 weeks :scared: ).

Also what about doctor files and all that sort of thing.

For those of you who have done it or are in the process of doing it what should I get together?

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What documents should I get together for renting, jobs, tax numbers etc

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

Well I have finished my job (am a teacher) so I am now sorting everything for our move to oz in 4 weeks time - feels like another job!!

Am trying to put together a folder of everything we might need when we get there but I am a bit unsure of what would be useful for getting a rental. Any ideas? Have heard about people getting ref from building society and letter from estate agents???
With jobs did you print off lots of copies of your CV before you left the UK so you have them ready to fire out (we will be without our pc and printer for 10 weeks :scared: ).

For those of you who have done it or are in the process of doing it what should I get together?

Thanks

I am wondering about the doctor and kids immunisations files also, so be interested in seeing replies.

As for rental we plan to offer 6 months rent up front ( loads of folks have done this), as I am sure I read on the forum somewhere that they are not really interested in what you did in the UK, just that you can afford the rent there.

Re: C.V, going to print out a couple before we go, also references.

I dont think you would need anything for Tax file number, maybe just your passport/visa?

Hope this helps
Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:50 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents should I get together for renting, jobs, tax numbers etc

That helps loads, thanks and good luck with your move.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:00 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conat
I am wondering about the doctor and kids immunisations files also, so be interested in seeing replies.

As for rental we plan to offer 6 months rent up front ( loads of folks have done this), as I am sure I read on the forum somewhere that they are not really interested in what you did in the UK, just that you can afford the rent there.

Re: C.V, going to print out a couple before we go, also references.

I dont think you would need anything for Tax file number, maybe just your passport/visa?

Hope this helps
From what I have been told, UK patient records stay with the doctors in the UK, although they may allow you to have copies. Need to talk to your family doc.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:50 pm
Adelaide a go go

kiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of lightkiltedjedi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
From what I have been told, UK patient records stay with the doctors in the UK, although they may allow you to have copies. Need to talk to your family doc.
You can get a print out of your patient summary. Be warned though it may cost you. My surgery did mine for free but my wife's surgery wanted £30 for hers.

Also if you've got young kids take the little red book (we're going to) as that should have their medical history and vaccinations recorded.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:58 pm
Nod
Just Joined

Nod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

A Letter from the estate agent, saying how well you kept the home you've just sold, or if renting, rental company saying the same.

A letter from a long standing friend also stating the above may also be useful as we had to supply both to gain our rental.

Regards

John

Hello

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:00 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks
Take a few copies of your CV and take the file on a disc, you can then get copies printed from the cd once you are here. Also remember to back up all your important stuff off the computer, or take out the hard drive and carry it in your hand luggage. Also make sure you have electrical derangement insurance on any expensive electrical stuff...our comp was goosed by the time it got here.

Our doc wouldnt give us our files, just a copy of the kids immunisations.

We set up a bank account from the UK before we left for Oz, didnt take references for anything....we got a rental no worries(hubby did have a job but he was on 3 month probation) we didnt pay rent up front...bugger that the money is better off in your account than the bloody real estate agents. You can offer to pay up front but they CANNOT ask you to pay months in advance.

Make sure you have e-mail accounts that can be accessed from anywhere(hotmail/yahoo etc) so that you can access them while on the road...and keep in touch with people.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bosshogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks
I have recently returned from Oz and picked up a residential tenancy application form from Ray White's to give us an idea of what was required. They require proof of income and 100 point identification:
Photo ID - 40 points Last 4 rent receipts - 40 points
Pay slip - 10 points Key Card - 10 points
Medicare card - 10 points Service account - 10 each (electricity, gas, phone, etc) Birth Certificate - 10 points

They say the application would take up to 48 hours to process. I would say it would be wise to bring your mortgage statement, last few wage slips and utility bills to satisfy the above.
Hope this helps
Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We used bank statement that had the proceeds of our house included and a letter confirming the sale of UK house. It was easy to rent really. You need id and that's about it as long as you can pay.

Bring the kid's red books as you have to make a doc appointment and they transfer the details of vaccs. onto an Aus. form. They then send it to the immunisation register and they will let you know if any vaccs. are missing. You need to get this done as they won't accept kids at daycare without up to date vaccs. and also Centrelink won't pay your Family assistance if they are not up to date. I would put CV on a cd so that you can go and use internet somewhere and download it. There are loads of jobs on Seek.com.au and you can apply online and either attach a cv or make one up on there.

Hope this helps.

Jo