Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What documents are required to RENT

What documents are required to RENT

Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice
Default What documents are required to RENT

Hi Everyone

Can someone advise me what documentation we will need to bring when looking to rent?

I have to avoid being disappointed and get to the top of the pile, you should take all the documents with you so you can complete the form whilst you are there.

Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents are required to RENT

Originally Posted by Supertoots
Hi Everyone

Can someone advise me what documentation we will need to bring when looking to rent?

I have to avoid being disappointed and get to the top of the pile, you should take all the documents with you so you can complete the form whilst you are there.

Thanks
We never went looking with loads of other people around. It was only us and the EA.

Whatever the case, you will need:
  • ID - passport, drivers license (Oz pref)
  • Income proof or $$$ in the bank
  • proof of Oz address
for us anyway.

Good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Supertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really niceSupertoots is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
We never went looking with loads of other people around. It was only us and the EA.

Whatever the case, you will need:
  • ID - passport, drivers license (Oz pref)
  • Income proof or $$$ in the bank
  • proof of Oz address
for us anyway.

Good luck!
Thanks - BUT if we are arriving from UK we wont have an Oz address...so cant give proof. Also, I wont start my job until 2 weeks into arriving, so how can I give proof of income? Should I get a letter from my employer?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - BUT if we are arriving from UK we wont have an Oz address...so cant give proof. Also, I wont start my job until 2 weeks into arriving, so how can I give proof of income? Should I get a letter from my employer?
1. Temporary holiday/short term rental address will do. Go to your bank with (passport and visa and temp accommodation booking reference/email etc... proof) on arrival and change your address to your new temp address. Get a printout there and then, stating you new (temp) address (you can change it later). Use this letter/printout as bank proof of address.

2. Change driving license to Oz one after proof of address above. Once you have Oz drivers license with address on, you're sorted for ID mostly. (Can change address later)

3. Yes, Letter offer of employment/contract will do showing proposed income.

Last edited by Alfresco; Nov 11th 2010 at 9:53 am.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

some ID and a bank statement proving you can actually pay the rent. Thats all I needed
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Yep to the above we are looking currently and have been told we need names of three references plus reference from current landlord or from leeting agent in uk if renting uk home saying home is neat and tidy etc.

Good luck its not fun.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have to show any proof of address. But you will definitely need to either show money in bank and / or job offer letter, they need to know you can pay.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Yep to the above we are looking currently and have been told we need names of three references plus reference from current landlord or from leeting agent in uk if renting uk home saying home is neat and tidy etc.

Good luck its not fun.
That's just ridiculous, I'd stop using that agent if they are going to be silly. we dealt with several agents and non asked for references, they also all said they understand that people migrating might not have realms of paperwork, landlord references etc.

We put a pack together when we were house hunting, we did get a letter from our UK agent saying how well presented our house was. It was a two liner, that was the only thing even remotely resembling a reference.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That's just ridiculous, I'd stop using that agent if they are going to be silly. we dealt with several agents and non asked for references, they also all said they understand that people migrating might not have realms of paperwork, landlord references etc.

We put a pack together when we were house hunting, we did get a letter from our UK agent saying how well presented our house was. It was a two liner, that was the only thing even remotely resembling a reference.
It might be ridiculous but its lj hooker who are very big. We knew beforehand so got uk employer, local vicar, friend to write references before we left. Some of these have dual purpose eg local vicar and kids school... The company may not even contact them...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Thanks
For our rental we took along:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Bank Statement
  • Driving Licence (UK)
  • Passport
  • Previous UK Mortgage Statements

We also said we were able to pay 6 months rent upfront, as we did not have jobs, but this was not required.