Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think? Are we just dreaming?

What do you think? Are we just dreaming?

Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think? Are we just dreaming?

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Yes but it also says that you can have a dependant child on a tourist visa - so if one adult has a WHV and one adult has a tourist visa and has the child on that visa - thats not breaking the rules. They would have to show they have enough money to support themselves for the duration to get a 12 month tourist visa anyway so I dont see what the problem with doing that is?
Yes, it is breaking the rules. Do you honestly think that immigration is going to allow the partner and child to come in for a year with the one on the WHV? You may not see the problem with doing that, but immigration will.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but it also says that you can have a dependant child on a tourist visa - so if one adult has a WHV and one adult has a tourist visa and has the child on that visa - thats not breaking the rules. They would have to show they have enough money to support themselves for the duration to get a 12 month tourist visa anyway so I dont see what the problem with doing that is?
I don't read it that way. 'Accompanied' to me suggests that if they all live together, then the WHV holder is in breach of their eligibility conditions. As it goes on to say, applicants with dependent children cannot apply online, so I assume all these questions will be asked, the reason being so that a situation like you describe isn't being set up. Perhaps someone who knows for sure will comment.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

...and another problem with coming on a WHV first is that, should you find yourself passing the points test for skilled migration, depending on whether you've found approriate work while on the WHV (not easy, or have simply been a tourist) you can scupper your chances of meeting any recent relevant work experience requirement e.g 12 out of the last 18 months type thing.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:31 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, it is breaking the rules. Do you honestly think that immigration is going to allow the partner and child to come in for a year with the one on the WHV? You may not see the problem with doing that, but immigration will.
Why not if they can show they have enough money to support themselves? If one can apply for a WHV to come here for 12 months and work - why cant his partner then apply for a tourist visa to visit with the child? It does not say that married people cant have a WHV.

I think BCworld is probably right - that someone who actually knows the law on this one would be best placed to give an opinion. Certainly looks like a loophole to me the way its written on the website. And yes I honestly think it might be possible - I wouldn't have bothered suggesting it if I didnt. But then I'm not an immigration expert.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

. But then I'm not an immigration expert.
Which is probably why you should not be giving immigration advice to a couple who have little option for a visa at this time.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:39 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Which is probably why you should not be giving immigration advice to a couple who have little option for a visa at this time.
I was not claiming to give immigration advice - it was just a suggestion. Just another option to possibly explore. A positive one as oppose to everyone else telling them to sack it and get on with things. If I hadnt explored all of the suggestions given to me when I wanted to move here I'd still be sat in England waiting for my visa after doing another 12 months post qualification work experience. As it happens I got my PR within 6 months of looking at different routes. Let them dream, maybe they will find a way. I did.

However - I can see its cranky pants day in here today! So I'm off to ride a horse.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 3:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Certainly looks like a loophole to me the way its written on the website.
I don't think DIAC are in the business of pointing out loopholes for people to use.

It seems fairly clear cut to me.

You can't be accompanied by dependent children. The definition of 'dependent children' makes no reference to which visa holder the child is 'attached' to. Just, it's you or your partner's child who is basically unmarried and under 18. Tick.

Jaj!??
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I was not claiming to give immigration advice - it was just a suggestion. Just another option to possibly explore. A positive one as oppose to everyone else telling them to sack it and get on with things. If I hadnt explored all of the suggestions given to me when I wanted to move here I'd still be sat in England waiting for my visa after doing another 12 months post qualification work experience. As it happens I got my PR within 6 months of looking at different routes. Let them dream, maybe they will find a way. I did.

However - I can see its cranky pants day in here today! So I'm off to ride a horse.
I think we have some of Australian Immigrations finest on here
Old Sep 19th 2010, 7:56 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by itxrd
I think we have some of Australian Immigrations finest on here
Yes, we do. Migration agents with years of experience. And laypeople who have been around the immigration system long enough to know a thing or two having been taught by reading and more reading. And then there are those of us who have worked for agents and learned through them.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

And it was a bad suggestion. As there is a child involved, the WHV is not an option for the reasons already explained.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:21 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
And it was a bad suggestion. As there is a child involved, the WHV is not an option for the reasons already explained.
Stop being a cranky pants BS.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:35 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well shoot me for being the first person to make a bad suggestion. And I wasn't suggesting a WHV on its own. I was suggesting a WHV and a tourist visa for the other person to bring the child as a dependant. Its not the same thing. It still might be a bad suggestion but it was at least a suggestion.

Maybe I would find your favour with you all if I just agreed with you all and said "Get lost, your dream is stupid, dont come here, we are full"

This place is starting feel like the local shop at Royston Vasey!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well shoot me for being the first person to make a bad suggestion. And I wasn't suggesting a WHV on its own. I was suggesting a WHV and a tourist visa for the other person to bring the child as a dependant. Its not the same thing. It still might be a bad suggestion but it was at least a suggestion.

Maybe I would find your favour with you all if I just agreed with you all and said "Get lost, your dream is stupid, dont come here, we are full"

This place is starting feel like the local shop at Royston Vasey!
Fair enough for making the suggestion in the first place, but several people mentioned it is not going to work and you continued to push it as an option.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I understood you were saying one comes on the WHV and the other a tourist, it is still not allowed...
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:51 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

There is one possible route.

a) One person stays in the UK with kids, the other goes on a WHV.
b) Person on WHV starts working for a big company, impresses them, and gets a permanent residency sponsorship.
c) Person in the UK comes over with kids.

But the chances of this being successful are next to zero. Given the skills you've outlined, I don't think you've got a chance with (b). On top of that, splitting up your family in this manner could be a recipe for complete disaster.

Best route has already been outlined for you.... retrain.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
There is one possible route.

a) One person stays in the UK with kids, the other goes on a WHV.
b) Person on WHV starts working for a big company, impresses them, and gets a permanent residency sponsorship.
c) Person in the UK comes over with kids.

But the chances of this being successful are next to zero. Given the skills you've outlined, I don't think you've got a chance with (b). On top of that, splitting up your family in this manner could be a recipe for complete disaster.

Best route has already been outlined for you.... retrain.
You know what, mid twenties is very young in some ways to be doing all this.
The people who move to Australia tend to have established themselves and have firm skills to offer. Training and work experience is your next move - it probably won't be in Australia but perhaps a move in the EU first? That's what I did!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.