Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you think of Australian drivers?

What do you think of Australian drivers?

Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default What do you think of Australian drivers?

Are the Aussies just plain rude or is it just me??

Whenever you wait for a car , let someone out, flash someone through etc etc, in my experience, 9times out of 10 you get no acknowledgement of thanks, not even a nod of the head!

Am i expecting to much courtesy in this day in age or what?

At least in the UK, imho, i would say about 8 out of 10 people would respond in some sort of way.

Just a rant.....
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:36 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think of Australian drivers?

Originally Posted by BillnLinz

Whenever you wait for a car , let someone out, flash someone through etc etc, in my experience, 9times out of 10 you get no acknowledgement of thanks, not even a nod of the head!

At least in the UK, imho, i would say about 8 out of 10 people would respond in some sort of way.

Just a rant.....
I've noticed this. I think the reason is that they don't stop to let people out themselves, therefore they don't know what to do when someone does it for them!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:37 am
ABCDiamond

Just a rant.....
Flashing your lights at someone has a different meaning here !! Better be careful till you learn the ropes

Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:38 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Flashing your lights at someone has a different meaning here !! Better be careful till you learn the ropes
Flashing your lights.

Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:39 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

I can't make up my mind whether their rude.....or just don't understand that we're trying to be thoughtful. I used to let people pull away etc. etc. but they would just sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Now I don't bother - can't beat 'em join 'em.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wmoore
I've noticed this. I think the reason is that they don't stop to let people out themselves, therefore they don't know what to do when someone does it for them!

Years of bad driving ettiquette i say

And how close do they have to be up your backside, can see how many fillings they have got as they snarl at you for driving at the speed limit!!

Is all this a reflection in the high road death toll in QLD, or is it an Australia wide thing?
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banjo
I can't make up my mind whether their rude.....or just don't understand that we're trying to be thoughtful. I used to let people pull away etc. etc. but they would just sit and wait, and wait, and wait. Now I don't bother - can't beat 'em join 'em.

Its quite sad to say banjo, but i've started to go with them aswell, there rude to me so i'm rude back, its not right but you somehow feel as if you should

Mans inhumanity to man in a road traffic sense....
ABCDiamond

Is all this a reflection in the high road death toll in QLD, or is it an Australia wide thing?
It varies in different parts of Australia.

When I moved up from West Sydney, I was very pleased with the relaxed way of driving the QLD locals had.

Doesn't say much for West Sydney, does it. :scared:

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Years of bad driving ettiquette i say

And how close do they have to be up your backside, can see how many fillings they have got as they snarl at you for driving at the speed limit!!

It's Australia wide, I have loads of rows. Only the other day a guy was hooting because I exited on to the roundabout too slowly. He then drove past me without so much as making eye contact and pulled in front of me so I had to stop.

When I went to get out of the car the prick drove off
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:51 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

In my experience (and I used to do a few miles in a repmobile to all parts of the UK) Australian drivers on average are not better nor worse than drivers in the UK. <boring! yeh, I know...>

My wife (who used to work for Main Roads and put together some transport legislation for what that's worth) swears that drivers of asian origin are the most dangerous on the road and, despite giving everyone a fair go and keeping an open mind I have to say I agree based on my limited 1 year experience driving here ... or maybe I'm just tuned to look out for them ... or maybe there are more of them ... or ...

<proceeds to blow-apart the 'open mind' bolx> Anyone in a Beemer is worth avoiding too ... but that goes for the world over.

The one thing I have found scary is the number of people willing to risk drink-driving compared to the UK ... maybe it's a legacy of people that used to live in more rural areas or maybe it's just plain stupidity.

I mean, the availablity of a service that gives warning of random breath-test sites by SMS says a lot about the potential buyers. This has since been stopped ... sanity rules in the end.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

And as for flashing your lights to say 'after you' ... well, that isn't wise at all here
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really niceBhoywonder is just really nice

Just a rant.....

Shocking. That's what happens when you bring so many cultures together. Don't even get me started on roundabouts!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
In my experience (and I used to do a few miles in a repmobile to all parts of the UK) Australian drivers on average are not better nor worse than drivers in the UK. <boring! yeh, I know...>

My wife (who used to work for Main Roads and put together some transport legislation for what that's worth) swears that drivers of asian origin are the most dangerous on the road and, despite giving everyone a fair go and keeping an open mind I have to say I agree based on my limited 1 year experience driving here ... or maybe I'm just tuned to look out for them ... or maybe there are more of them ... or ...

<proceeds to blow-apart the 'open mind' bolx> Anyone in a Beemer is worth avoiding too ... but that goes for the world over.

The one thing I have found scary is the number of people willing to risk drink-driving compared to the UK ... maybe it's a legacy of people that used to live in more rural areas or maybe it's just plain stupidity.

I mean, the availablity of a service that gives warning of random breath-test sites by SMS says a lot about the potential buyers. This has since been stopped ... sanity rules in the end.

I agree about the drink driving thing, they seem to find it acceptable to have a few 'mids' or 'light' beers and drive as a matter of course......if ur driving whats the point of even having 1, madness!!! dont get me started
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:01 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

What is the drink driving law here?

I've spoken to a fw Aussies who all claim you're allowed one drink each hour
Old Jan 12th 2006, 10:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fraser
What is the drink driving law here?

I've spoken to a fw Aussies who all claim you're allowed one drink each hour
I think that is correct, but men can have two in the first hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.