Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you think?

what do you think?

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
I won't like to guess your size right now
Don't have to - still same weight as I was when I left 14 years ago!

My latest favourite treats are sausage rolls from Gregg's. Going over to Glasgow next week to have my last feast on the world's best sausage rolls and steak bake. Gotta keep my waist line up, you know. There're no Gregg's on the entire island of Ireland - totally unbelievable...

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JackTheLad
Oh she's slim, svelte even.

Thats me earned my brownie points for the week

Cheers,
JTL
Hey, JTL, what are you doing, posting 2 seconds before I did???

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:30 pm
mickj

I sure had enough of those when i was back in london, i must admit i miss it, and the way they are always hot when you ge there. Do they still do that buy 2 get 1 free?

Don't have to - still same weight as I was when I left 14 years ago!

My latest favourite treats are sausage rolls from Gregg's. Going over to Glasgow next week to have my last feast on the world's best sausage rolls and steak bake. Gotta keep my waist line up, you know. There're no Gregg's on the entire island of Ireland - totally unbelievable...

Mrs JTL

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey, JTL, what are you doing, posting 2 seconds before I did???

Mrs JTL
Just earning brownie points

In case it looks to others like we are one insane person having a conversation with ourselves, I should explain I'm in Glasgow working, Mrs JTL is in N.Ireland packing.

JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:33 pm
mickj

Is this the first domestic on this forum? Are you two in the same room?

Just earning brownie points

In case it looks to others like we are one insane person having a conversation with ourselves, I should explain I'm in Glasgow working, Mrs JTL is in N.Ireland packing.

JTL

Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is this the first domestic on this forum? Are you two in the same room?
Errmmm In simpler terms. Me in Glasgow, wifey in Belfast.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future

ERRRRRrrrrrmmmm me thinks me thread has been hijacked....., still good fun to read!
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by sammy77
ERRRRRrrrrrmmmm me thinks me thread has been hijacked....., still good fun to read!

Oh right What was the thread again?

Ahh yes racism.

Well I had a barber in Melbourne, the kind I really like. Old fashioned, I think it was about $6 for a cut, he used a cut throat razor to shave your neck, and no messing about with the styling, you could have it short or very short.

Anyway, when I told him me and my future wife were planning to move to Melbourne he was very happy, he told me we needed more of 'our' type (me being Caucasian) in Melbourne, too many ******* moving in and pushing up house prices.

Unfortunately he got really upset about the house prices thing just as he was doing my neck with the razor, so I decided it was best not to correct him on his comments, or tell him my future wife was chinese.

I went back to him again though, damn good barber,

JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh right What was the thread again?

Ahh yes racism.

Well I had a barber in Melbourne, the kind I really like. Old fashioned, I think it was about $6 for a cut, he used a cut throat razor to shave your neck, and no messing about with the styling, you could have it short or very short.

Anyway, when I told him me and my future wife were planning to move to Melbourne he was very happy, he told me we needed more of 'our' type (me being Caucasian) in Melbourne, too many ******* moving in and pushing up house prices.

Unfortunately he got really upset about the house prices thing just as he was doing my neck with the razor, so I decided it was best not to correct him on his comments, or tell him my future wife was chinese.

I went back to him again though, damn good barber,

JTL
When we walked pass the barber shop in the morning on the way to work, we used to check if it was open yet. If it was, JTL would walk 5 steps ahead of me for the fear of being seen holding my hands and getting his throat cut the next time he had his hair cut! LOL!

The comment from the barber didn't bother me a bit as I think there are some very unfortunate and ignorant rednecks (what's the British or Oz term for that?) out there... Or may be he didn't really mean it, just having a bad day?!

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:28 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

... or tell him my future wife was chinese.
The great thing about the 'net is that often you can potentially be any nationality you like. I would never have guessed that Mrs JTL was Chinese from her postings. No accent there. (Of course she may not have an accent IRL either!)

Neither could I tell that mickj was a Cockney (or so he claims!)

(OTOH Sana who recently posted a thread about medicals was obviously not such a fluent English writer. It was quite easy to read a Ukranian accent into her postings.)
Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:40 pm
mickj

Well.....how can i prove that to you? I don't write, the same way i speak, and am sure that is the case with other people. Quoting you:

"Blimey! da cheese cake thin' abaaaht da 'net is what often yew can potentially be any nashunali'y yew like. I would never 'ave guessed what Love an' Kisses JTL was Chinese from 'er postings. No accen' there. (Of caaahrse she may not 'ave an accen' IRL either!) Neither could I tell what mickj was a David 'ockney (or so 'e claims!)" . Nuff said, yeah?

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
The great thing about the 'net is that often you can potentially be any nationality you like. I would never have guessed that Mrs JTL was Chinese from her postings. No accent there. (Of course she may not have an accent IRL either!)

Neither could I tell that mickj was a Cockney (or so he claims!)

(OTOH Sana who recently posted a thread about medicals was obviously not such a fluent English writer. It was quite easy to read a Ukranian accent into her postings.)

Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The closest I can describe it is that Mrs JTL has a messed up American accent. Her schooling in Toronto and University in america seems to have really screwed up whatever perfect English accent she was learning in Hong Kong.

I'm tryin to teach her a good 'Norn Iron' accent before we get to Oz.

Oh just to keep on thread here. In all seriousness, Mrs JTL is completely fluent in English, but whenever we went outside Melbourne, to say maybe a little B&B on the great ocean road, they would say to her 'your english is really good'. Now for someone who has been speaking english fluently for over 15 years,and speaks it with an american accent, thats quite patronising. I know it was meant in a nice way, but, maybe a bit naive of the locals?

I mean there are chinese glaswegians here now I can't understand because their scots accent is so strong.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:56 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

"Blimey! da cheese cake thin' abaaaht da 'net is what often yew can potentially be any nashunali'y yew like. I would never 'ave guessed what Love an' Kisses JTL was Chinese from 'er postings. No accen' there. (Of caaahrse she may not 'ave an accen' IRL either!) Neither could I tell what mickj was a David 'ockney (or so 'e claims!)" . Nuff said, yeah?
Sounds authentic to me! (You can take the pearly jacket off now BTW.)
Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:31 am
mickj

innit geezer

Sounds authentic to me! (You can take the pearly jacket off now BTW.)