Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you think?

what do you think?

Old Jun 6th 2004, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Default what do you think?

Hi everyone,
I woud like like your views on: do you think that asians can live in Oz in places other than just Melbourne or Sydney?
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:05 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what do you think?

Originally posted by sammy77
Hi everyone,
I woud like like your views on: do you think that asians can live in Oz in places other than just Melbourne or Sydney?
It would be ironic if they felt unable to live in Canberra, given that that's where all the embassies are.

Are you suggesting that Oz is a hotbed of racism? (Not that you would be alone in holding that view, if so.)
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future

Thats just what I am trying to find out, is OZ really a racist place for asians?
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats just what I am trying to find out, is OZ really a racist place for asians?
Our agent who lives in Brisbane is from Papua New Guinea. He says that Brisbane is a GREAT place for newcomers. He didn't specify for which race! Good luck!
Chantale
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:59 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

No more racist than anywhere else. Though if you go purposely looking for it you'll find it.

Australians, as a rule, are more interested in who you are rather than what you are.

That's when they're interested at all.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
Sammy i have visited Australia and never encountered any form of racism.
I actually live in Bradford which has a large Asian community and yes there is racism if you look for it. I have asian friends as well as British friends. I can and will get on with anyone as long as they respect me and my family. If only people judged the person not the colour we would all get on so much better.
good luck to all who are trying.
Regards Chris and Andrea.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Joanie Babes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ulujain
No more racist than anywhere else. Though if you go purposely looking for it you'll find it.

Australians, as a rule, are more interested in who you are rather than what you are.

That's when they're interested at all.
The strangest thing is Aussies generally have completely different ideas as to what racism is:
My example is anyone from southern Europe is a Wog, and they will call it to them to there face. Apparantly it is a term of indearment but I am not convinced.
Overall they seam about 10 years behind on P.C. terminology
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Joanie Babes
The strangest thing is Aussies generally have completely different ideas as to what racism is:
My example is anyone from southern Europe is a Wog, and they will call it to them to there face. Apparantly it is a term of indearment but I am not convinced.

I work beside a guy of Greek origin who bought his personalised number plate WOG 121.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:37 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi everyone,
Sammy,

I'm Jewish and always have the same worries (about anti-semitism) when I move to a new country.

FWIW, my experiences in Oz have been positive in all respects so far - yes, they use some un-PC terms, but they do tend to tease people about anything & everything, and this is all part of that. Mostly it is meant as a sign of affection and friendship, and is just a culturally different way of expressing it. Of course, as in every country, there's a hard core of people who are racist, bigoted, and anti-everyone-not-the-same-as-they-are, but mostly Oz people seem pretty tolerant - I would say it's no worse that the UK.

However, as with the UK, out in the really remote rural areas it may be different, and *anyone* from outside may not be welcome. One person to ask about this may be forum user Bundy, as she lived in a quite rural part of NSW & could probably tell you how you would be received in that community.

Good luck!

Anya.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 7:48 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

And kangaroos are obsolete.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 8:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by anya4oz
However, as with the UK, out in the really remote rural areas it may be different, and *anyone* from outside may not be welcome.
I agree with that "Anyone" meaning if you are not born with 25kms, you are not local, and therefore an outsider !! Black, white, green or yellow

Well, maybe not exactly but you follow my logic I am sure.

Brisbane is no different to anywhere else for reaction to skin colour. Most people have no probems whatsoever.

Old Jun 7th 2004, 10:14 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Which may not be a bad thing. Stupid PC word police worry about the wrong thing. It's the thoughts and actions that count, not the words.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
I work beside a guy of Greek origin who bought his personalised number plate WOG 121.

The PC crowd find this hard to believe - but as pointed out in another rather heated post, it really is a form of endearment. If Italians and Greeks found it to be racist, it would indeed stop.

The show Wogs Out of Work (with a Greek cast) on National tv should again support the fact that no one finds it an offensive term..

Regarding the subject matter, you should be able to live anywhere without fear of racism. There is always the select few who may chose to be racist but as pointed out unfortunately you get that sometimes. I hope you don't encounter any such problem whereever it is you chose to settle.

M x
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone. some reassuring comments. When we do eventually get out there we are considering moving to the Gold Coast, maybe Coomera or around that sort of area.
Sammy
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:41 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Hi sammy, I know you might not fancy it, cos no-one else seems to, but from what I saw of Darwin its about as multi-cultural as you can get. You could come from Venus and I dont think anyone would bat an eye.

All the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.