Reload this Page >

What do you miss (Aus)...

What do you miss (Aus)...

Old May 30th 2003, 7:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I liked the honesty.

Eg advert in window: 'Wanted - Shop Girl'.

You don't get that honesty in the UK.

Plus you don't hear too many 'funny bastards' and 'he's a wank*r, isn't he!' on the radio in the UK.

Cheers - Don
Old May 30th 2003, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Don totally agree,

Hubby loves Oz and say's it is like the Uk before the PC brigade got hold of it
Old May 30th 2003, 10:21 am
Keelie

Originally posted by Anon E Mouse
I was watching a Kiwi on some DIY program the other day. Tears came to my eyes when she said to get out and sand your dick this weekend.....Of course, in NZ, your dick goes around your huss. Under the verandah......
You're a naughty little moose..made me lose my sense of decorum and dignity...not good for a 'senior' person to be picked up off the floor laughing.

Old May 30th 2003, 10:27 am
Keelie

Originally posted by Anon E Mouse
I was watching a Kiwi on some DIY program the other day. Tears came to my eyes when she said to get out and sand your dick this weekend.....Of course, in NZ, your dick goes around your huss. Under the verandah......
You're a naughty little moose..made me lose my sense of decorum and dignity...not good for a 'senior' person to be picked up off the floor laughing.

Old May 30th 2003, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Badger!

When i went back to uk last year after our holiday I missed walking everywhere in thongs [flip flops!] and the sound of the secada's at night!

If i went back now after 4months in Melbourne, id miss the friendliness of everyone here in shops, and in pubs.

'The cage' breakfast show on Triple M radio! funnier than anything Chris Tarrant or Chris Evans have ever done on uk radio!

AFL!

Eddie McGuire!

and 'DOUBLE COATED' Tim Tams
Old May 30th 2003, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

violet crumble & cherry ripes, that first smell of wattle in spring, walking barefoot. sitting on milk crates outside the coffee shop in bondi for my morning latte, checking my shoes and bed clothes for creepie crawlies, being too hot to sleep, mosquitoes, my family, my friends, the ferries to manly, bushwalks and rockclimbing, the perfect body surf at 5am...........................

Having my sense of humour understood. Not having to agonise over every word I speak in case I offend someone.
Working hard & playing hard, veggies that last for more than 3 days in the fridge, real hamburgers & milkshakes, lino thats stuck down properly not just at the edges, downstairs bathrooms, loyalty and mateship, aussie lollies eg snakes (sorry they just arnt the same here), weather-especially the really hot days that end in thunderstorms, peace and quiet
Old May 31st 2003, 11:03 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do you miss (Aus)...

Originally posted by badgersmount
Brekkie programme on Sydney radio - Triple J?! you can say "shit" and "bastard" on radio etc

badgers
You can listen to triple J on the internet I often do it.... www.abc.net.au/triplej

Cheers
Pete.
Old May 31st 2003, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Hubby said he would miss the sound of burn outs at night in the distance in the ealy hours of the night , ne wouldnt be able to sleep if he went home !!! No on a serious note we would miss the adverts on tele , the hes a golden retreiver aint he jacko and if thats a golden retreiver ill doggy paddle nude to cairns !! The cougar adverts with ice !! Some are just brilliant we have to say and would miss them . Kids said they would miss everything about australia bless them , on other words they said , they aint going home !!!! Joanne and Paul
Old May 31st 2003, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny because all the things people here seem to like are the very things that make me want to leave.

I can understand an Aussie in the UK being homesick as they don't know any better particularly an ocker one like the badger must be looking at his list of likes. Obviously a simple soul out of his depth in the UK !

Kath and Kim ??? Sorry but they are not funny. Tim Tams are OK but nothing special. Friendly service ??? more like plastic american style and try and complain about something thats gone wrong (which it often does) then see how friendly they are. Also what about service in the wider sense - banks that shut on Saturday and Sunday, Coles Supermarkets that always have empty shelves. Supermarkets with 3 checkouts open on a saturday afternoon and queues down every aisle. Poor quality of house construction, the cheap as chips mentality prevailing.

What about the double standards everywhere and the isolated inward looking people. The poor work conditions, the cost of medical, the expense of travel, the high taxes, the variable extremes of weather, the boring repetitive personality of the average aussie, the commodity economy, the monopoly low cost media, the us style money based class system, the old school network that is rife in the business communities, having to pay for good quality schools, the power cuts which are a regular event in major cities, the huge population growth of the major cities leading to asian style ultra high density living. The TV ads that repeat so often and never change for years on end, the constant TV ad breaks, the layers upon layers of government and bureaucracy, the high unemployment rates. The beat the jones mentality of the faceless sprawling suburbs, poor old fashioned leisure facilities, public swimming pools reserved for the elite athletes, snakes, spiders, sharks, the destruction of the natural environment.

I could go on. I'm leaving this month. Thank god. I still like the place but none of the things mentioned on here will I miss. I will miss the climate which is generally good in Brisbane but not further south, the cheaper cost of living, the wildlife, the spectacular beaches and the simpler more basic way of life. I will probably return later in life to retire but at the moment Oz like millions of other professionals has little to offer compared to UK.
Old May 31st 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ruthyman
the ferries to manly,

living in landlocked sunny (today anyway) birmingham, to get my fix of the manly ferry i go to one of those standy up sun tan centres and shut your eyes you could be there!

karen
Old May 31st 2003, 9:48 pm
Badge

i like being an ocker if that's what I am. I like the basic things in life - I would have burnt out by now if I had kept on at the pace I lived in my early 20s. I loved the way my mate Bruce (!) and I could relax on his sun deck and watch the NRL on a Saturday "arvo" with a beer. He even had his wife and daughter "serving" us as it was "saturday" and we know what that means, didn't we "SPORT!! "- amused me no end!! bloody hell. This ocker had a roomy house and he was happy and a home that middle class surbanites in Clapham etc can only dream about. I used to go to parties and dinners in London and it was all so bloody stifling. Then I met my aussie gf and was instantly liberated. When I am 40, 50, 60 I will be glad I made the move. Now if I was 18 I'd probably want to be in London, but I am 30. Bit older and wiser.

mate money, materialism, doesn't buy you everything. Look at my mates in london mortgaged to the hilt having to pay for entertainment every day.

I think English people are the Ockers - just look at the "geezer" mentality over here. have you noticed the way London blokes are always trying to prove something, money, drinking, cool, etc ok its probably a London thing. I like the way in Australia there is still a bit of a tall poppy "can't be up your self" syndrome. Australians sometimes talk themselves up, but its usually fairless harmless and at least funny. Just shoot them down.

I happen to agree with you about alot of the things you say, but I can live with them, as not all countries are perfect. I noticed it all too, God! I did - the bloody trade unions!! but the positives outweighed them.

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; May 31st 2003 at 10:16 pm.

Old May 31st 2003, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

bryank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by captaincook
Funny because all the things people here seem to like are the very things that make me want to leave.

I can understand an Aussie in the UK being homesick as they don't know any better particularly an ocker one like the badger must be looking at his list of likes. Obviously a simple soul out of his depth in the UK !
You sound like the pretentious sort which makes me glad I left the UK

Kath and Kim ??? Sorry but they are not funny. Tim Tams are OK but nothing special. Friendly service ??? more like plastic american style and try and complain about something thats gone wrong (which it often does) then see how friendly they are. Also what about service in the wider sense - banks that shut on Saturday and Sunday, Coles Supermarkets that always have empty shelves. Supermarkets with 3 checkouts open on a saturday afternoon and queues down every aisle. Poor quality of house construction, the cheap as chips mentality prevailing.
Whinger! I don't recognise any of these points. Coles with empty shelves? Never seen that.

What about the double standards everywhere and the isolated inward looking people. The poor work conditions, the cost of medical, the expense of travel, the high taxes, the variable extremes of weather, the boring repetitive personality of the average aussie,
isolated inward looking people? quite the opposite, the aussie friends we have made are extraverted, friendly and interesting people. As for complaining about the weather, that sums up your personality perfectly..........
Old Jun 1st 2003, 12:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Little doubt that captaincook got the treatment captainbligh deserved. Little doubt better career options for him in bligh-ty.

Last edited by Megalania; Jun 1st 2003 at 12:31 am.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 8:13 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Mega, do you know the true story of Bligh? or is your opinion based on movies?
Bligh was a good seaman and captain, and is totaly mis-represented by the movie industry, you should read the factual reports of the fletcher - bligh story and you might change your mind. until then STFU
Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you miss (Aus)...

Miss loads of things, for those of you who want a bit of Oz, you can order online from the Oz shop in Covent Garden, we have used them many times to stock up for our summer Oz bbqs!

www.australiashop.co.uk

Teresa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.