Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you like about an Australian Winter?

What do you like about an Australian Winter?

Old May 28th 2007, 12:53 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Cool What do you like about an Australian Winter?

Ok so the houses don't have central heating and lacks good insulation, but there are some good things about autumn/winter time.

I like the lower sun - creates lovely light (although not great when driving)
The nice days out in the park or garden, when the temperature is comfortable & the sun is not scorching hot requiring a ton of suncream and diving for the nearest shade
the lorikeets are back
time difference to UK is reduced to 9hrs (11hrs in spring/summer) -makes it easier to contact folk in Blighty
It is not getting light til after 6.30am, meaning daughter is less likely to wake up earlier than us, and if she does she still thinks it is night time (summer the sun rises are around 5.30am which is tad too early for my liking!)

So what else would you add to the list?

Last edited by walaj; May 28th 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old May 28th 2007, 12:58 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you like about an Australian Winter?

I like being able to get into the car and not being in danger of heat exposure!

I also like being able to wear my winter clothes, and having the flexibility of layers - when it's hot, you can only take off so many layers before you're liable to being arrested, whereas when it's cold, you can layer up

I like the slight chill in the mornings (not the full on chill you get in winter, but right now it's perfect) as it wakes me up for work.

I like not having to water my plants so frequently.

I like having an valid excuse not to go to the beach...

We put the electric blanket on our bed yesterday, after a week of sleeping under 2 duvets and one fleecy blanket, and put the heater in the bathroom - so definately feeling cold and wintry now.
Old May 28th 2007, 1:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
Ok so the houses don't have central heating and lacks good insulation, but there are some good thinks about autumn/winter time.

I like the lower sun - creates lovely light (although not great when driving)
The nice days out in the park or garden, when the temperature is comfortable & the sun is not scorching hot requiring a ton of suncream and diving for the nearest shade
the lorikeets are back
time difference to UK is reduced to 9hrs (11hrs in spring/summer) -makes it easier to contact folk in Blighty
It is not getting light til after 6.30am, meaning daughter is less likely to wake up earlier than us, and if she does she still thinks it is night time (summer the sun rises are around 5.30am which is tad too early for my liking!)

So what else would you add to the list?
being able to put my jim jams on at teatime, stoke up the wood burner and be lovely and toastie all night.

being able to get stuff done in the garden without sweating your tits off.
Old May 28th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels

I like having an valid excuse not to go to the beach...

Liked that one
Old May 28th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

There are less spiders!!!
Old May 28th 2007, 2:22 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm ... things like this ... (my son's the one on the right holding his nose )
Attached Thumbnails What do you like about an Australian Winter?-lordoftheflies.jpg  
Old May 28th 2007, 2:55 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Less mossies, great cricket playing weather, the NRL season, State Of Origin, Crisp Mornings, Great Days, Comfortable Evenings, Cosy Nights, Humidity Down, Getting the open fireplace going, Getting the back out in the MG on 'frosty' roads (occasionally) ... hey, killjoys, I gotta keep meself warm and alert in the mornings

This time of year is fine payback for sweating your 'nads off for 3 months ... contrast, you gotta love it.
Old May 28th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Less mossies, great cricket playing weather, the NRL season, State Of Origin, Crisp Mornings, Great Days, Comfortable Evenings, Cosy Nights, Humidity Down, Getting the open fireplace going, Getting the back out in the MG on 'frosty' roads (occasionally) ... hey, killjoys, I gotta keep meself warm and alert in the mornings

This time of year is fine payback for sweating your 'nads off for 3 months ... contrast, you gotta love it.
That its not the Oz summer
Less intense fry your arse sun
nippy mornings and evenings
being able to get the burner going
being able to go for a walk without frying/heatstroke or worrying about snakes
knitting ( I know, what a biddy baxter)
ugg boots, snuggly clothes, jeans etc
that its like a pretend winter with lovely days of blue sky still
not so many mossies
Old May 28th 2007, 3:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not much. It's all good as far as I'm concerned whatever the time of year. Don't like the cold but generally that is only after the sun goes down and then we light the fire anyway.
Old May 28th 2007, 3:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way that the hard frost is usually gone by 10am under a bright blue sky.

I *don't* like the way that, in our one year-old rental, the inside of the windows ice up with our breath at night because insulation is a foreign word!
Old May 28th 2007, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Not much, but the sun does come out sometimes in the Afternoon. Oh, i like to wear my furry boots too.
Old May 28th 2007, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

that it is so short....

not so cold as to require scraping the car windowscreen...
Old May 28th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute

What I know about Melbourne is nothing less than a 9-month windy winter! with no snow
I wish we could see some snow in the city!
Old May 28th 2007, 6:03 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pomster
that it is so short....

not so cold as to require scraping the car windowscreen...
I scraped ice off me windscreen last year ... must surprised I was ... we get some nice fog here too, it lays in the hollows and valleys, very atmospheric first thing ...
Old May 28th 2007, 6:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I scraped ice off me windscreen last year ... must surprised I was ... we get some nice fog here too, it lays in the hollows and valleys, very atmospheric first thing ...
Get a bit of that out here too, amongst the fields on the backroads. No frost here, but my BIL (who lives in the Southern Highlands) informs me he's already had the scraped out twice this autumn/winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.