Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS?

WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS?

Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:08 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all
Default WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS?

Would be interesting to hear what people living in Oz do with their lives. Obviously the beach is a popular one and usually the kids love the beach as our wee nipper does.

A few folk here that are returning to the UK are saying that it is too hot for them in Oz and their outdoor life is not what they expected.

In terms of us trying to build a picture of life in Oz ( versus the UK) tell us about yours.

Heard a few folk say that they spend a lot of time indoors because it is too hot (I think a few members in Brisbane said that), tell us your experience/s.

Hope you are having a good weekend

Here in Auckland it is cold, windy and drizzly at the moment.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHAT DO YOU DO IN THE GREAT AUSTRALIAN OUTDOORS?

Keep out of it most of the time.

If it isnt the heat then it's the flies. See one beach, seen them all IMHO. You have no idea how tough the sunshine is on your skin or your eyes.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:31 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

We dont do a lot (which is another reason we are returning to the UK!). Its too hot a lot of the time, and I have aged 10 years in the 5 years we have been here due to the sun. When it isnt blistering hot we occasionally go down the beach. Tried picnics and BBQs but the flies and huge ants drive me nuts. We spend most of the time indoors. Perth doesnt have much to do full stop.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I'm moving this to the Australia forum, you might get more replies here
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Lived here for over thirty years. We live in Melbourne so we get four seasons of the year, I love Spring, Autumn and Winter not keen on summer, summer we get heat waves usually in 2 or up 3 days of mid 30's up to 40 and we stay inside with the aircon. Once the cool change comes the temp drops usually to mid twenties to high twenties which is very nice. When its very hot here we get the north wind off the desert and its not very nice. We do not get much humidity here at all its a drier climate.

We like to go to the beach in winter and walk on the beach. We are not beachy people as swim in the sea so we stay away in the summer although its a very popular passtime and my son loves skimming and body surfing and he goes to the beach. He also plays baseball, cricket, golf. My husband is a cyclist so he does a lot of bike riding and its a good climate in Victoria for that not in QLD though. We also like to go for bush walks are interested in birds so like to do a bit of that as there are some lovely birds here in Aus. We like to go up to the mountains in the spring and look at the flowers.

We live on a large block of land so there is always something to do in the garden as we are keen gardeners. We have a lovely pond which we like to sit next to in the evenings. We just use the mossie repellent candles and they work.

We are very content with our life here and its laid back for us just how we like it.

We would not live in QLD too hot, Perth too far away, Sydney too expensive and Adelaide is ok but we like it here better.

Love Tasmania lovely place.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Well I do find it interesting how people say "its too hot" in Qld....yes it is hot, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily (and quick!) it was too aclimatize. We took the kids down to Brissy to the theme parks...and had to buy fleeces! I do accept its "horses for courses" and not everyone will feel the same way. Now in our second summer, we dont even use the air con half as much!

As for what to do (we're in Cairns BTW)....beaches (like everyone!) the lagoon here (free swimming pool) the pool in the complex we're in, walks (rainforest), BBQ's (lots of free gas BBQ's at every beach or atraction) the Barrier Reef, fishing, from here the Atherton Tablelands are about a 20 min drive and its noticably cooler up there.

And I've been working for a mining exploration Co. as a field assistant.....Its like having your own personal "Tonka Toy"...full size, and the biggest garden to play with it in! driving arround the bush, stopping here & there....camping...looking at all the wildlife...(O.K.....it's a "boy" thing!)
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I dont get about British people, so many say its too hot and dry in Australia YET hordes flock to Dubai where it is even hotter and drier!

It is simply sheer hypocrisy.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:56 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
This is what I dont get about British people, so many say its too hot and dry in Australia YET hordes flock to Dubai where it is even hotter and drier!

It is simply sheer hypocrisy.
I think you will find that they are flocking to Dubai for the cash, not the climate.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The 'life on the beach' idea is an interesting one. I live right near some of the best beaches South of Sydney, and for the most part they are deserted. The Australians and the Brits who come here, don't spend half as much time on the beach as you might think.... because we have to work for a living and that tends to bite into your leisure time.

Once you are here full time its not like coming for a holiday, when you can just chill out and take in the sunshine. You will probably get to spend more time in the "Great Outdoors" but probably not as much as you think.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Keep out of it most of the time.

If it isnt the heat then it's the flies. See one beach, seen them all IMHO. You have no idea how tough the sunshine is on your skin or your eyes.
Im under 3 monthly checks for skin cancer on two moles - I never go out without sunblock and people here think you dont need it in the Winter but you do - more so. The ozone layer doesnt grow back in the winter as the doctor told me.

He also said the average Aussie woman that doesnt look after her skin, will have her skin aged average ten years older than what she really is.

I have to wear long sleeved tops and am finding it hard to find decent ones so I will drape a cool sarong around my arms and shoulders in the Summer.

I love wearing light cotton in the summer anyway and did all the time in Thailand when it was 40 degrees and humid.

I have a selection of hats, never go out without my sunnies and carry suncream in my bag.

By god its hard to adapt but I am glad I came over in the Winter so I have got used to applying cream now as routine and am prepared for the heat.

The sun will ruin your skin if you think tanning is cool.

And having 3 monthly checks for melanoma is not fun - especially when it is for the next year - a tan is SO not worth it.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:09 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Going down the beach is defo a firm favourite, dont have to spend all day and not move for the fear of someone nicking your spot , just taking a stroll ... get an icecream/fish & chips, walk the dogs, kids will have a swim or mooch around with the dogs, do a bit of fishing ... we love going off camping, chuck everything in the trailer and off we go (even if its just a short weekend) whenever we feel like it as the weather IS predicatable.

We have friends round alot (or go round theirs), sit and chill, chat, BBQ, have a few beers. Or go off four wheel driving down the tracks/beach or go off down to the river.

Meet up with friends at the pub, they have theme days in the summer and have beach parties etc gets everyone together and the kids love it when theres about 20 odd of them running around.

We love to go off round the national parks or we will take a drive out into the hills.

We wanted a more laid back lifestyle and we got it. If we dont want to go anywhere we are happy to sit outside in our garden. The kids will go off and play with their mates, go bike riding etc they are always out and about in the summer, and on the very hot days when it is to hot for the beach (no shade) etc they are all in the pool.

I guess we are lucky in where we live that we have made some really good mates and it certainly makes the difference. There is always something going on if you want to join in but there is no pressure if you dont want to.

So that what we do in the great Aussie outdoors, it may not appeal to some being happy and relaxed as some people Im sure would call it "boring" ... but we love it !!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:14 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Some love going to the beach, but we don't. So what else is there to do!! ummm.
Well over East is alot better, but i'm in Perth and you have to travel along way to get anywhere. Then when you get there it's a ghost town.
Plus the flies to contend with and Mozzies
Anything above 30 and we tend to stay in. Too hot and i don't like to fry.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Going down the beach is defo a firm favourite, dont have to spend all day and not move for the fear of someone nicking your spot , just taking a stroll ... get an icecream/fish & chips, walk the dogs, kids will have a swim or mooch around with the dogs, do a bit of fishing ... we love going off camping, chuck everything in the trailer and off we go (even if its just a short weekend) whenever we feel like it as the weather IS predicatable.

We have friends round alot (or go round theirs), sit and chill, chat, BBQ, have a few beers. Or go off four wheel driving down the tracks/beach or go off down to the river.

Meet up with friends at the pub, they have theme days in the summer and have beach parties etc gets everyone together and the kids love it when theres about 20 odd of them running around.

We love to go off round the national parks or we will take a drive out into the hills.

We wanted a more laid back lifestyle and we got it. If we dont want to go anywhere we are happy to sit outside in our garden. The kids will go off and play with their mates, go bike riding etc they are always out and about in the summer, and on the very hot days when it is to hot for the beach (no shade) etc they are all in the pool.

I guess we are lucky in where we live that we have made some really good mates and it certainly makes the difference. There is always something going on if you want to join in but there is no pressure if you dont want to.

So that what we do in the great Aussie outdoors, it may not appeal to some being happy and relaxed as some people Im sure would call it "boring" ... but we love it !!

Your lad was trying to proudly show Sarah his huntsman skin - it was so funny, he was dead excited about it and Sarah was crapping herself

What are you up to today - anything exciting?
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Occasionally we will go to the beach, love going in the evening and sitting in one of the many bars, restaurants or cafes and have our tea.
In the UK I hated it due to the huge amounts of people who would also flock there as soon as the sun shined.
Our favourite thing to do over here is visit the many wineries on our door step.We are becoming wine buffs!
Jacqui
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to beaches, walks in national parks, long drives, camping, mountain biking zoos etc - Pretty much anything you do in the UK you can do here and more because you can usually get better weather.

BTW, I live in Melbourne which I think has the best climate in Australia, there are rarely days where it is too hot to do anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.