Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do teens get up to in oz?

What do teens get up to in oz?

Old Aug 13th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: What do teens get up to in oz?

We're on the gold coast, and have been here for 4 years now. Our daughter was 16 when we arrived, and did her last 17 months of schooling here.There is definitely more for them to do that where we lived in the UK. She used to go down to Burleigh beach with friends often, did marine studies at school, so went sailing with friends from time to time. Also got herself a part time job, and worked 2 evenings a week, and one day on the weekend, which kept her out of mischief. We have been happy with the teens we have met here
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
It is just my personal opinion but I honestly think that quite a few want to believe kids are better for no other reason than to make themselves feel better and happier. Like I said just my view.
I agree with you. In Canberra we now have cages on our bridges because of rock throwers - and the Hume has had them for yonks. That doesnt say much about our nice civilized Youf (whose parents probably think they are with their nice friends, not getting bladdered LOL)
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Lets see what the UK Yoof are listening too

Have a go at finding some Aus Versions.... that the kids know I mean.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's called clutching at straws.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Lets see what the UK Yoof are listening too

Have a go at finding some Aus Versions.... that the kids know I mean.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's called clutching at straws.
You don't much like Australia do you - still at least you tried it!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not quite sure how you deduced that from my post
I actually like aspects of Australia very much indeed, I have after all spent the majority of my life here BUT we have come to the realization that this country at this time doesn't offer us what we want.
People who know me know my true feelings about this country

N
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
You don't much like Australia do you - still at least you tried it!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not quite sure how you deduced that from my post
I actually like aspects of Australia very much indeed, I have after all spent the majority of my life here BUT we have come to the realization that this country at this time doesn't offer us what we want.
People who know me know my true feelings about this country

N
Post(s). And I was being stupid.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:31 am
Banned

Bugger, I should have known

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Post(s). And I was being stupid.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I live on the Sunshine Coast. My observation is that teens seem younger here. More like children at 16 than 21 year olds. I am from a rough area in the UK though. A lot of kids stay at school until 18 here and I dont really see any kids hanging around on the streets. I am sure some do but I couldnt even begin to think where.

There is no real basis to any of this, its just my initial thought on the subject.

I think its a valid question though, I am sure the poster isnt basing their decision just on the answers here - its just one research component and I cant see why anyone would think that its not a valid question. It doesnt mean that any decision or answer posted here will make any difference at all. If you have never lived in a country and want to find out more - why wouldnt you just ask people who are there and have made the move what they think?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

Well I have one male teen (14) and another almost-teen (12). What do they do? Probably the same as teens the same age in the UK. They play computer games and watch viral videos on Youtube that they've swapped on Facebook. They want to go hang out near Westfield Mall ... they go for sleepovers and have their friends over for the same (watching movies, mostly). They also have to do homework very night. This morning (Saturday) at 7am we were up taking them to their school football games (even though my kids take after me in hating sport, at least they take part).
In the summer we go out to Clovelly or Redleaf for a swim, or up to Palm Beach to walk up Barrenjoey. In the cooler months I drag them out to my favourite eating places on the weekend. I don't know what kids in the UK do, but on my last trip back to Leeds I was surprised to see so many kids just hanging about outside (especially given the weather - haven't they got Playstations to go to?) looking bored and looking for trouble.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by odyssey
I think its a valid question though, I am sure the poster isnt basing their decision just on the answers here - its just one research component and I cant see why anyone would think that its not a valid question. It doesnt mean that any decision or answer posted here will make any difference at all. If you have never lived in a country and want to find out more - why wouldnt you just ask people who are there and have made the move what they think?
Of course you have to take all sorts of things into considerations when making such a life changing decision. For me personall I wouldn't be making such a big decision on on posters opinions on teenagers hanging around or not, especially not knowing the areas and it being such a huge country with so many good, bad and indifferent areas. And actually, no-one really can say what any place will be like in 1, 2 or 10 years.. when the OP's newborn grows up to be a teenager. Same query re other post on spiders... the decision needs to be based on so much more. Financials should come above everything else. Then again, that's just my opinion, and every one should make up their own mind! It's best to look at the wider picture.

Last edited by Still Game; Aug 13th 2011 at 12:43 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

didnt see the spider post........ lol
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Surely anyone anywhere can give good and indeed bad examples of teens ? 3 of our friends in England have teenage kids and without exception none of them are hoodies standing around on street corners getting 'bladdered'. I think it is 95% down to the parents and upbringing. Coming to Australia won't make a bad kid being bad and going the UK won't make a good kid bad.
Absolutely, however I am giving a direct example of our situation and if we had stayed in the UK that is what my daughter would have been doing, in our case coming here has prevented that.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quoll
I agree with you. In Canberra we now have cages on our bridges because of rock throwers - and the Hume has had them for yonks. That doesnt say much about our nice civilized Youf (whose parents probably think they are with their nice friends, not getting bladdered LOL)
Quoll, there has been a single incident a couple of weeks ago of stones being dropped off a bridge & the local authority has pushed forward existing plans to fit barriers, at the moment to 1 bridge. I did not say there are no problems just that for us it is better.
And you can lol as much as you like but it is a fact that our 16 year old - so far at least, ( I'm not that naive) has never come home "bladdered" which I know would definitely of happened if we'd stayed in Wales, it is a very small town & Friday night in particular is all about drinking to the kids there.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:52 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

About 7 dollars an hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.