Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to do in Perth

what to do in Perth

Old Sep 30th 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light
Default what to do in Perth

I am a lone woman with two weeks in Perth to look around. I will be using public transport and on a budget. Any suggestions please?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do in Perth

Originally Posted by quercus
I am a lone woman with two weeks in Perth to look around. I will be using public transport and on a budget. Any suggestions please?
Where will you be staying? What do you want to see? Are you looking for tourist stuff or are you looking for jobs and places to live?
Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where will you be staying? What do you want to see? Are you looking for tourist stuff or are you looking for jobs and places to live?
Hi Dorothy, I am staying in Bayswater which is handy for the trains. I am visiting a friend who will be working away for a fortnight so I am just after touristy stuff really. It would be nice to get a feel for the city while I am here and also make a couple of trips, maybe to Rottnest? Thanks! Penny.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quercus
Hi Dorothy, I am staying in Bayswater which is handy for the trains. I am visiting a friend who will be working away for a fortnight so I am just after touristy stuff really. It would be nice to get a feel for the city while I am here and also make a couple of trips, maybe to Rottnest? Thanks! Penny.
Rottnest is pretty expensive (the ferry is anyway). If you're relying on public transit you're a little more limited.

However, I would take the train down to Mandurah (train to Perth then transfer to the Mandurah line - you'll have to walk to the underground station) and take one of the boat trips around the fabulous homes, have fish & chips and walk around the foreshore. You can get the train to Fremantle (again, train to Perth then transfer to Fremantle line) and take a walk around the markets there, too. While you're in Fremantle take a tour of the prison http://www.fremantleprison.com.au/Pages/default.aspx. Maybe take a trip to Hillarys Boat Harbour (Joondalup line train to Whitfords then a bus to Hillarys). I think the Rottnest ferry leaves from there as well is you decide to go. Take the train into the city for a visit to the Perth Mint http://www.perthmint.com.au/ and then you can walk along the river to the Barrack St Jetty and the Bell Tower. The Blue Cat will take you across to Northbridge where you can go to the museum http://museum.wa.gov.au/ and no trip to Perth is complete without a trip to King's Park and Botanic Garden. http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/

Once you get within the city public transit is free, so if you get tired of walking just jump on a bus - the CAT buses go all over the city or you can jump on any TransPerth bus.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dorothy you are a star!

Thank you so much for those suggestions, I have noted them all and am looking forward to exploring.

Sending Karma! x
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Save me typing it all again.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696255
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bibbs
Thanks for sending that, lots of ideas thanks. I have already toured down as far as Augusta and been around Margaret River, Jewel caves and also a quick stop in Seashells at Mandurah for one night. I may go back there on the train as I was only there one night and it was too cold to be outside much. That tour is why I am now on a budget.

Before I head back east I am also intending to travel up as far as Mokey Mia taking a week or so and will be looking for ideas, but will start another thread for that.

Sending karma. Penny x