Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do I wear to job interviews in Australia?

What do I wear to job interviews in Australia?

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 5:15 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default What do I wear to job interviews in Australia?

Yeah, may be a silly question but my NZ girlie pal has just scared me to death by saying that women who wear trousers to job interviews for CBD-type jobs in NZ are *frowned on*!

Blimey. Given that NZ gave its women the vote quite early in the day, it seems a bit of a contradiction. But when in Rome....

Oh woe is me, though - my 'work gear' consists of several (well-tailored) black/dark-colored trouser suits (typically Jaeger, Planet etc so decent schmutter, no tat ) and I hardly ever wear skirts (lousy legs, and also because my feet are slightly crippled, so I can't wear the sort of high-heeled court shoes you have to wear with a skirt suit all day).

Is this is true for Oz, I wonder? All advice on this one welcome.....

Anya.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I wear to job interviews in Australia?

Originally posted by anya4oz
Yeah, may be a silly question but my NZ girlie pal has just scared me to death by saying that women who wear trousers to job interviews for CBD-type jobs in NZ are *frowned on*!

Blimey. Given that NZ gave its women the vote quite early in the day, it seems a bit of a contradiction. But when in Rome....

Oh woe is me, though - my 'work gear' consists of several (well-tailored) black/dark-colored trouser suits (typically Jaeger, Planet etc so decent schmutter, no tat ) and I hardly ever wear skirts (lousy legs, and also because my feet are slightly crippled, so I can't wear the sort of high-heeled court shoes you have to wear with a skirt suit all day).

Anya.
If you're going for the professional image, what you wear is pretty much the same the world over. Just wear what you feel most comfortable in - this is more important.

My wife advises you go with your Jaeger suit - look professional and feminine. Once you know the rules of your particular workplace, you can become more casual.

Mike "straight eye for the straight girl" Stanton
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 6:52 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by MikeStanton
If you're going for the professional image, what you wear is pretty much the same the world over. Just wear what you feel most comfortable in - this is more important.

My wife advises you go with your Jaeger suit - look professional and feminine. Once you know the rules of your particular workplace, you can become more casual.

Mike "straight eye for the straight girl" Stanton

I worked in Brisbane for Ergon Energy (Regional QLD Electricity), wore trousers and a shirt for the interview (too hot for the jacket) and didn't wear anything smarter after that apart from a couple of external client meetings.
Tend to get a lot of my work clothes from Next and bought things out there from equivalent sort of stores, nothing too fancy really.

As far as skirts go, certainly they're a lot cooler in the summer (so 51 weeks a year in Brisbane!) but there's no hard and fast rule to say you should! Its fairly relaxed over there!

Either/or is fine
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:21 pm
wombat42

Your supposed to go naked.

Old Apr 3rd 2004, 8:28 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by wombat42
Your supposed to go naked.

Sssssssssssssshhhhhhhh, I was trying to make her look silly in a suit
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Skirt, save the trousers for once you get the job. Its OZ, the bosses will probably be men and they are sexist. Just get back at them by never wearing a skirt once you get the job.

I had a really funny Cleo Mag article, for work dressing rules from memory were def no pants (OZ word for Trousers), no boots because they can make you look domineering V necklines OK but Cleevage might make you look unprofessional.

Amazingly OZ women are allowed to vote tho
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 11:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dotty
Skirt, save the trousers for once you get the job. Its OZ, the bosses will probably be men and they are sexist. Just get back at them by never wearing a skirt once you get the job.
anya4oz, don't believe everything you read, not all men are sexist.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:13 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
anya4oz, don't believe everything you read, not all men are sexist.
Well as I'm over 40, I wouldn't know about that. As far as most blokes are concerned, I'm invisible!

Anya.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:20 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by dotty

I had a really funny Cleo Mag article, for work dressing rules from memory were def no pants (OZ word for Trousers), no boots because they can make you look domineering V necklines OK but Cleevage might make you look unprofessional.

Amazingly OZ women are allowed to vote tho
Know what you mean, Dotty - the worst bit for me is the way women are forced to wear uncomfortable shoes, that wreck thier feet, as part of standard Business Wear. Men, meanwhile, can wear nice comfortable ones, that they can even walk in! When I worked on Wall Steet, the women all - sensibly - wore sneakers for the journey to work, but then changed into their 4-inch heels & staggered round painfully on them all day...

There was a politician in NZ (I think her name was Christine Rankin) who got into fearful trouble, not for her policies, but because she wore dangly earrings to work!! Ye gods!

Anya.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 8:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Anya.
Keep 'em transfixed,
Then they can't check yer tits.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 9:57 am
Badge

Know what you mean, Dotty - the worst bit for me is the way women are forced to wear uncomfortable shoes, that wreck thier feet, as part of standard Business Wear.

Anya.
For me, one of the last bastions of sexism is the fact that business dress for men is suit and tie. Costs escalate, bespoke tailoring to get a decent suit, dry cleaning, trousers wear out long before the jacket, and you always feel like you're going to a poxy wedding.

Women: mix and match T-shirts, halter tops, machine washable trosuers, the skirt you went down out in last night, wear a cardigan if you haven't ironed your top...the list goes on and on.

My company is dress down and I can be overdressed the days I wear my ironed shirts, drill cotton trousers and paddock boots.

Don't want to wear out my singlets and footy shorts!

BM

Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:20 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by badgersmount
For me, one of the last bastions of sexism is the fact that business dress for men is suit and tie. Costs escalate, bespoke tailoring to get a decent suit, dry cleaning, trousers wear out long before the jacket, and you always feel like you're going to a poxy wedding.

Women: mix and match T-shirts, halter tops, machine washable trosuers, the skirt you went down out in last night, wear a cardigan if you haven't ironed your top...the list goes on and on.

My company is dress down and I can be overdressed the days I wear my ironed shirts, drill cotton trousers and paddock boots.

Don't want to wear out my singlets and footy shorts!

BM

There was a case in the UK last year in which a male employee at a JobCenter (I think) claimed sexual discrimmination because he'd been forced to wear a tie. ISTR he won the case...

Agree entirely about ties, suits etc, Badge. Ties are stupid & positively dangerous: one of my colleagues nearly got strangled by his the other day while trying to cable up some routers in racks!

Wearing these items does not necessarily mean the wearer is neat and hygenic, either as I know only too well from commuting on crowded UK trains, full of men in shiny, tatty-looking suits that had not been dry cleaned for abut 10 years, by the smell of them. Ugh. Whereas Mr Anya wears a T-shirt and casual trousers or shorts to work: clean every day, always freshly ironed, always looks very neat.

When I worked for a Big (nameless) Bank in Sydney, I was pleasantly surprised to see the guys in shorts & the women in strappy dresses. Hopefully, once you get past the interview stage, you can ease up a bit on the formal dress scene.

How about this as a new dress code for men at work:

Men under 40/those with fit bodies: pair of sleek black speedos
Men over 40/those with less fit bodies: dinner jacket

Wooohoooo! Feeling quite distracted now

Anya.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

buglegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Anya.

chill out....thats rubbish about the trousers.....ive only been here 5 weeks and got the first job I had an interview 4 in trousers and a blouse
BG
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Men under 40/those with fit bodies: pair of sleek black speedos
Men over 40/those with less fit bodies: dinner jacket
Or how about a sexy man in speedos & sexy man in a dinner jacket as well?

I have a couple of pics of both that I could post right now, but I am restraining myself .
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:36 am
Badge

You are correct Anya.

Wearing suits is actually bad - many have not been drycleaned, and many look shiny, ill-fitting, many men think they are dressed to kill in a suit when it looks like they have forgotten to take the hanger out.

If you're going to wear a suit, it has to be tailored in my opinion - but I would not like to wear mine at all. I've had mine 10 years and they are as new and still fit perfectly!!

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.