Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do I do now?

What do I do now?

Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:58 am
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light
Default What do I do now?

Shippers booked - coming 16-18 October
Flights booked - 19th October
Airport Hotel booked for 18th October

How do I get the rental here sorted (cleaned and hand keys back), have meters read, clear any rubbish, get rid of anything that wont fit in the container........

Obviously lots of you have managed to get all this done, but I'm in panic mode now! What do you do with all the food in the cupboards and fridges left over - surely you can't leaves bags of food on the street for days until the bin men come?

What address should we give for forwarding bills etc - we only have a hotel booked for two weeks? :scared: :scared: I just don't know what to do now.

Someone please help
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond reputegina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do I do now?

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond

How do I get the rental here sorted (cleaned and hand keys back), have meters read, clear any rubbish, get rid of anything that wont fit in the container........

Obviously lots of you have managed to get all this done, but I'm in panic mode now! What do you do with all the food in the cupboards and fridges left over - surely you can't leaves bags of food on the street for days until the bin men come?

What address should we give for forwarding bills etc - we only have a hotel booked for two weeks? :scared: :scared: I just don't know what to do now.

Someone please help

Sit down and have a bloody good drink then mill through your list of jobs and if you dont finish dont worry youve tried x

hugs geex
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond

Someone please help

We got a skip and just chucked everything that was left in it If you don't have a skip full then just chuck in the dustbin, or have a party and cook it all.

We got all our mail re-directed to my MIL and she posted it all on once we got into our rental.

Now calm down, it's just your nerves
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:48 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Crazy Diamond]Shippers booked - coming 16-18 October

Could you change the shippers dates so that they come one day earlier,then stay that last night with friends?That would give you a whole day to clean up.Or consider hiring a house cleaning company -wish I'd done that.
If your shippers have been round and done the quote,I can't imagine things not fitting in the container - and surely it's their responsibility to make sure it does?Give them a ring to doublecheck and see what happens if you have stuff left over.
Phone the gas electric,phone and internet companies now to tell them the day you are moving out.Get your last bills forwarded to a friend/relative,or if you get your mail redireted it will find it's way over here.
Start working through your freexer andcupboards now,anything unopned you won't use give to neighbours or the local OAP lunch club or Sally Army.And get creative with your cooking!

We gave MILs address in Uk and got mail forwaded there,se sends out the important stuff and bins the rest.
Last of all,do a list,decide who is responsible for getting what done and start crossing off what you get done.

And take some time out.Chill.It will all come together in the end!
Someone please help :eek
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:50 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Red face Re: What do I do now?

[QUOTE=gjs][QUOTE=Crazy Diamond]Shippers booked - coming 16-18 October

Could you change the shippers dates so that they come one day earlier,then stay that last night with friends?That would give you a whole day to clean up.Or consider hiring a house cleaning company -wish I'd done that.
If your shippers have been round and done the quote,I can't imagine things not fitting in the container - and surely it's their responsibility to make sure it does?Give them a ring to doublecheck and see what happens if you have stuff left over.
Phone the gas electric,phone and internet companies now to tell them the day you are moving out.Get your last bills forwarded to a friend/relative,or if you get your mail redireted it will find it's way over here.
Start working through your freexer andcupboards now,anything unopned you won't use give to neighbours or the local OAP lunch club or Sally Army.And get creative with your cooking!

We gave MILs address in Uk and got mail forwaded there,se sends out the important stuff and bins the rest.
Last of all,do a list,decide who is responsible for getting what done and start crossing off what you get done.

And take some time out.Chill.It will all come together in the end!
Have posted this again as something went wrong in the execution!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=gjs
Have posted this again as something went wrong in the execution![/QUOTE]

:scared: who got executed !! :scared:

Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

For the food left in the cupboards and fridge, we put it all in boxes and gave it to my sister. Any that was unopened was donated to the local food bank. Furniture we decided not to take was donated to the local women's shelter. They run a program where women who are setting up their homes after leaving the shelter can access the donated furniture either very inexpensively or free.
As for any rubbish or anything nobody wants, you can take it to the dump or leave it on the kerb for pick up.
We had mail redirected to my sister as well as naming her power of attorney for any last minute bills that came in. We left about $5000 in our bank account in Canada and she paid the bills from that. Any that's left over she will send to us later.
Just relax. It's only last minute nerves now. Really, it will be ok.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:21 pm
Here at last

Crazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of lightCrazy Diamond is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, I feel such a wimp at the moment and definately doing the 'burying my head in the sand' routine.

It makes sense to give the food to someone, I'll have a think on how and who I can offload it on.

I'm going to speak to our landlord and see if he wants any of our unwanted furniture - they also run some children's homes so fingers crossed!

We don't have any family close by or any really close friends to stay with or help us out so I suppose we will muddle through on our own as usual - it just gets so daunting the amount left to still do

We have given most of our clothes to charity collections, anything left will have to be shipped if there are no more collections before we leave.

I gave notice to the rental agency that we would be leaving October, but as we are still under contract until end of November they want us to meet the landlord and do meter readings then. I've told them we are emigrating and wont be in the country but they are being bl**dy awkward! I know we will have to pay rent up until the contract expires but surely they don't expect us to pay gas and electricity while they are showing people round when we are not there? Anyway, how can we know if a reading is correct when we are the other side of the world?

Sorry to still be freaking but I just can't see us being ready to go............and as for having a drink and chilling................I'm still trying to empty that drinks cabinet! Its just not managing to relax me much!

Tell me it gets easier