Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to do before leaving for oz?

what to do before leaving for oz?

Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default what to do before leaving for oz?

Moving to perth australia,flying 30th may 2013,i was wondering if you could add to this post things that need to be done,sorted out,dont forget to take,ask for etc when moving.

There are to do list on here,but wanted just from many of you that have already moved or about to what you can add or help me with.

Some ideas that come to mind is:

Take letter from my car insurane to show no claims,does this help with quotes over there?
Get a letter from my mortgage company saying i have been good with payment etc etc for maybe helping with trying to rent in oz as not had any rental in uk owned?
dental records
doctor records.
job references.

This is a small example as we have only till may i need to try and start the ball rolling on stuff like we have many account open will places online etc like next,stuido 24 etc etc that dont get used anymore,magazines i get each month i can cancel and just buy from shop.
There are things might leave till very end or almost till end.

Anyway just thought i ask as will not only be helpfull for myself but others who plan on going soon

Last edited by brian.w; Jan 29th 2013 at 12:29 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 12:34 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do before leaving for oz?

Pack a sense of humour and an extra layer of skin,good luck mate on yer adventure
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:19 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
Moving to perth australia,flying 30th may 2013,i was wondering if you could add to this post things that need to be done,sorted out,dont forget to take,ask for etc when moving.

There are to do list on here,but wanted just from many of you that have already moved or about to what you can add or help me with.

Take letter from my car insurane to show no claims,does this help with quotes over there?
Get a letter from my mortgage company saying i have been good with payment etc etc for maybe helping with trying to rent in oz as not had any rental in uk owned?
dental records
doctor records.
job references.

This is a small example as we have only till may i need to try and start the ball rolling on stuff like we have many account open will places online etc like next,stuido 24 etc etc that dont get used anymore,magazines i get each month i can cancel and just buy from shop.

Anyway just thought i ask as will not only be helpfull for myself but others who plan on going soon
I posted this a while back...... might be something to consider and help you when you arrive?

Listened to an interesting interview on the radio today, with tips on the best way to secure a rental in Perth, including where people go wrong..... much of it is common sense, but might be useful to someone out there?

The spokesperson was from REIWA (Real Estate in Western Australia) www.reiwa.com.au

She was saying that the rental market is 'tight' at the moment with more people looking for properties than the number of properties available and people are making the mistake of applying for properties with 'huge gaps' in the information required on the agreement. Basically you must provide as much information as possible to even get a look in, and with the tight market anyone not making the effort to prepare will virtually be discounted at the outset.....

#1 You must prove beyond doubt who you are - There are a lot of scams and so anyone who may not appear who they are will not be considered for the property.
#2 Supporting proof of who you are, lots of it - Utility bills, bank accounts, passports copies, driving license etc etc
#3 Character references (more than one if possible) - Even better a reference from a previous rental agent to show you are a safe bet and will look after the property
#4 Pet reference - If applying with a pet, prove beyond doubt the pet is well behaved, has not caused a disturbance or damage
#5 Appearance - You have to look the part to get the property, many people turn up to present documents and haven't made an effort with their appearance. If you don't look smart, what will the property look like in 6 months!
#6 Look to create a partnership with the agent - The better you get on with the agent and can show that you will be a great tenant, the better your chances of securing the property. The agent has to try and do the best for their property owners.

When we first arrived we had never rented before and so found the entire process pretty stressful. If you are well prepared when applying for a property with documents required and proof as listed, you should stand a better chance than others who are not preparing adequately.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Pack a sense of humour and an extra layer of skin,good luck mate on yer adventure
The sense of humour will only humour one's self, but help with one's self laughter therapy..The extra layer of skin, deffo, buy a self skinning rhino suit, may cost; but jesus will it return its cost in normalization the Oz way, good luck. It's a trip, it's a journey, one life, enjoy!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

dental records
doctor records.
job references.

Hi you can open a bank account from the UK and have your cards etc ready for you to pick up when you arrive in Perth, you can use the Commonwealth Bank to do this service and when you let the "dust" settle if you don't like the bank etc you can always change banks. Just go through a "Removal"
list, ie cancel all Utility accounts, direct debit accounts. If you have children I would ask their current school to give an in depth report on their current education etc. Good luck, which part of Perth are you heading to? ps Do not leave warm coats etc at home, you might not need them your first Winter but when your "blood" thins you will lol....also take (if you like quality and designer etc)clothes,sports equipment as these are expensive in Perth.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

No point getting Insurance data...you will start afresh here and your previous history in another country counts for zip!
UK reference not much good for rentals, show your agreed salary letter from new employers which will help. Lots of proof of who you are. They are used to dealing with new immigrants so if in doubt ask.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:21 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't bother with medical and dental records, unless you have specific issues. In which case, a letter from your GP/Consultant/Dentist should suffice.

Do you have children? If so, their immunisation records (red books) Be aware that if they are under 7, they will have to have a catchup HepB vaccination course in order for any childcare rebate to be given. It was also recommended for my 8 yr old by the GP, but is not required for Centrelink payments.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:28 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
No point getting Insurance data...you will start afresh here and your previous history in another country counts for zip!
UK reference not much good for rentals, show your agreed salary letter from new employers which will help. Lots of proof of who you are. They are used to dealing with new immigrants so if in doubt ask.
We were told by our insurance co that our no claims proof would be accepted here and transferred across. We have done this with no problems.

Also, our UK references were checked by our rental agents. Bring any proof of mortgage payments to show you can maintain regular payments.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates (if relevant obviously) driving licences. Anything documenting change of name.

If you have any credit agreements, check your cancellation requirements, especially for utilities, mobile phones, pay for tv etc, as these will often requirement at least 28 days notice.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:18 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
We were told by our insurance co that our no claims proof would be accepted here and transferred across. We have done this with no problems.

Also, our UK references were checked by our rental agents. Bring any proof of mortgage payments to show you can maintain regular payments.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates (if relevant obviously) driving licences. Anything documenting change of name.

If you have any credit agreements, check your cancellation requirements, especially for utilities, mobile phones, pay for tv etc, as these will often requirement at least 28 days notice.
Really??? Interesting....did you do an online comparison to see what you saved?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:22 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

Really??? Interesting....did you do an online comparison to see what you saved?
I'm sure we did but can't remember now. I know we went for the best value quotes. But they did say the 9+ years no claims would be transferred so we wouldn't have to build it up again. All we needed to do was request a letter from the old insurers.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:03 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

We got 5 years protected no-claims bonus on our car insurance when we arrived here (just on our say so that it'd been more than 5 years since we'd had a claim - I don't know if they have a way of checking that information)
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:02 am
Social Grenade Thrower

ah...hold on...I get you now. Yes we have that but I think thats more of a routine check that they have with you. They ask how many years no claims and you say"xx", of course they have no proof in Oz of otherwise so they do take that as written, but, I still think you need local insurance history to actually build a decent percentage discount.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

dental records
doctor records.
job references.

I would also have a check up at your Dentist before you go and maybe at the Doctors, it will save you money if you need treatment and medication...I am sure your fit and hearty but thats what I would do, we did take utility bills etc just for a back up (we just put everything in our flight bags).
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:39 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

ah...hold on...I get you now. Yes we have that but I think thats more of a routine check that they have with you. They ask how many years no claims and you say"xx", of course they have no proof in Oz of otherwise so they do take that as written, but, I still think you need local insurance history to actually build a decent percentage discount.
But I got 70% discount (which is the amount I still have) so I don't know what you mean.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

dental records
doctor records.
job references.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345774

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.