Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What to do with Aussie OHs while attending meets?

What to do with Aussie OHs while attending meets?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Delila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to do with Aussie OHs while attending meets?

I mean, is there a playpen for them or something?

Seriously, my significant other is Australian (but with a good dose of British-style conversational skill and humour), and he's quite sensitive/touchy about my need to connect with my countryfolk. The whole topic becomes a bit of a hoo ha sometimes.

So, I'm not sure whether it's best to bring him or not... He's very sociable and will do fine, but then, erhem, we can't speak so freely ... but if I don't...um, dunno.

What do you guys usually do/recommend?

Thanks!
Delila
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do with Aussie OHs while attending meets?

Originally Posted by Delila

Seriously, my significant other is Australian (but with a good dose of British-style conversational skill and humour), and he's quite sensitive/touchy about my need to connect with my countryfolk. The whole topic becomes a bit of a hoo ha sometimes.

So, I'm not sure whether it's best to bring him or not... He's very sociable and will do fine, but then, erhem, we can't speak so freely ... but if I don't...um, dunno.

Thanks!
Delila
My Aussie other half comes along about half the time, the rest he goes off and does his own thing. EVen when he does come though we usually end up talking to different people, so I manage to have plenty of conversations without him breathing down my neck!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband usually comes along, but like Polly we go our separate ways and talk to different people. He more than likely won't be coming to the next meet, only because it's winter and he's like a bear - hibernates when it gets cold.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:37 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I am not sure if it's an Aussie OH thing or just a man thing.

My hubby is the one from the UK and I am the kiwi (with several years of aussie under her belt previously) and I find I am the one wanting to hang out with the UK people and he is not too fussed. I usually have to force him to go to social events and after a few bevvies he usually relaxes.

Ply him with beer!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

budababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Delila

Thanks!
Delila
Take him along!! As others have said you will probably end up talking to different people and I am sure he will have some good, useful input too!

Linda
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had no interest in coming along to any kind of social gathering so I left him behind when I met up with the Canberra lot - he doesnt go to my stitch and bitch sessions either